Göttingen Restaurants

• MD2nd's Profile Photo

World Coffee: Nice place despite the trains

by MD2nd Updated May 2, 2013

Cafe at train station

This coffeeshop is a nice place though it sticks right to the train station. In fact there's even a sort of cosy, silent atmosphere. Their offer of coffee and cakes is tasty and various. Seems they try to look a little like Starbucks'? Anyway, mom and me had coffee and hazelnut cake which was very delicious. The cafe's self-service makes a visit possibly difficult for travelers on their own when packed with bags, suitcase, and things.

• Trains

• Bobek's Profile Photo

Zum Schwarzen Baeren: Extremely over-rated

by Bobek Updated Apr 4, 2011

Schwarzer Baer towards Gaenseliesel direction

Disappointment. - This is what one can say after visiting the "Zum Schwarzen Baeren" Restaurant. Oh, yes, it is a historical place from 1600. More than 400 years old. But obviously the restaurant does not need any new customers. Or does not care.

After having had lunch with my wife there, I asked the waiter - who was quite nice, I must admit - if they had some information pamphlet or just anything I could take with me to collect my information from because I wanted to write a short article about the place. He said they had nothing. Plainly nothing. I could not believe because the "Zum Schwarzen Baeren" is well known in Goettingen and eventually beyond. No, they do not have a website and no pamphlet and the owner does not consider to use or have these.... Goodness, no promotion? Can they live from that?

Favorite Dish: Anyway, the dishes - typical German and the stuff we chose were a recommendation by the waiter - were miserable. Almost no use of spices and the meat was certainly not select one. Definitely not. If they used up their old stuff they kept from the day before yesterday? We happened to drop in at noon shortly before they closed down their lunch hours and the kitchen, so we were obviously the only (late) guests. But is this a reason to be served with tasteless meals? I left part of mine on the plate and so did my wife. Yet we enjoyed their beer.

Zum Schwarzen Baeren brew their own beer which tastes very different from the sorts that one generally gets or orders. So the only reason to drop in at this restaurant is having a beer and studying the old (partly worn-down) interior... Just have a look at the carpets.

• Beer Tasting

• Cron and Lanz: Great cakes and chocolates

by tupil Written Jan 24, 2009

Read the comment by SSlater - very nice summary. Everything is made on the premises, no compromise on quality. Try the icecream tarts during the summer months (Bailey's is delicious), and don't forget to stock up on truffels, chocolates, hand made Easter eggs in season, even preserves/jams. The coffee selection has all the international favorites from espresso to café au lait, tea drinkers may find the selection less exciting than elsewhere.

Al fresco seating is possible both on the street (pedestrian area) and the spacious roof terrace.

Favorite Dish: Sarah Bernard

• Study Abroad

• Cron und Lanz: Superb cakes

by SSlatter Updated Sep 11, 2007

Cron und Lanz is a veritable local institution in Göttingen, a long-established business beloved by locals and visitors alike. It is a coffee house that specialises in cakes and pralines. Situated slap-bang in the Innenstadt (town centre) precinct, it’s very easy to find, although as it is so popular, you will be lucky to grab an outside table. However, there is plenty of seating inside, upstairs on the first floor. The ordering system may be confusing for first-timers. If you intend to eat your cake on the premises, you choose your cake at the downstairs counter, and are then issued with a ticket that you present to a waitress when you take your place at a table. The waitress will return with your cake and anything else you have ordered. I chose a piece of “Goethe” cake, and my friend chose a piece of “Sarah Bernhard” cake, both of which I can only describe as double chocolate heaven. They really were superb examples of the baker’s art.. incomparable. The coffee was good too. It’s slightly more expensive than other coffee houses, but you will not be disappointed at the very high standard. A must-visit place if you like your coffee and cake.

• Business Travel

• Ristorante Rimini: Al fresco Italian.

by SSlatter Updated Sep 10, 2007

“Ristorante Rimini” is an italian pizzeria/trattoria not far from Geismar in the southern suburbs of Göttingen. It has a good-sized terrace which faces the road, with outdoor seating for approximately 60 people. We were a group of 4 adults and two children, and we were pleased to see that the children were catered to with their own section in the menu. After apéritifs of Warsteiner draught beer (superb) for the men, Alster (german shandy) for the ladies, and sprite for the kids, we were ready to order. Two of our party chose to start with tomato soup and shrimp soup respectively, followed by us ordering Saint Lucia salad, spaghetti gamberetti (shrimps), and bistecca valdostana (beefsteak with an unremembered sauce.. tomato-based I think). I chose a bistecca gorgonzola (rump steak with gorgonzola sauce) which I ordered “blue”, with pommes frites and salad. It duly arrived properly cooked which I was pleased about. (NB The german word for “blue” as regarding beef is “englisch”. If you want to impress the waiters, you could say it in italian which is “alla sanguina”). The children had minestrone soup and small pizzas. Now.. this is not the best italian restaurant in the world, but by no means is it the worst. The food was good without being exceptional, the beer was superb, and the service was excellent.. very friendly. The bill including food, drinks, espressos and cognacs (Rémy Martin) came to 87.90 euros, which I found reasonable. Everyone seemed pleased with their food. I was so pleased with our amiable waiter that I tipped him 8 euros, which raised a few eyebrows around our table. The germans are not used to tipping so much. All-in-all, I would go back to this restaurant, and would next try the pasta which looked interesting.

• Business Travel

• Café Botanik: Garden breakfast.

by SSlatter Written Sep 10, 2007

“Café Botanik” sits in the Botanical Gardens near Göttingen town centre. It is a well-known place to have breakfast, and on the Saturday morning when we visited, it was packed. We were lucky to get a table outside, where there is seating for approximately 40 people. I ordered a cheese and salad roll with coffee, and my friend ordered the “Kleines Frühstuck”, which consisted of two rolls with butter, jam, and cheese, with coffee included. Being used to an english cooked breakfast, it’s probably not fair of me to compare the two. Suffice to say that my roll was fine and the coffee was excellent. My friend was also pleased with her breakfast. The surroundings are very pleasant, being as it is situated within the confines of the Botanical Gardens, which makes for a nice post-meal walk. The service was fine, and the bill for two with my extra coffee came to 8.20 euros, which was reasonable. All-in-all, a very pleasant place to spend an hour or so over breakfast.

• Business Travel

• See-Zauber: Kiessee food.

by SSlatter Written Sep 10, 2007

The “See-Zauber” restaurant sits on the side of the Kiessee, which is a lake in the southern suburbs of Göttingen, not too far from Geismar. It has a very pleasant outlook with a nice-sized terrace overlooking the lake with seating outdoors for approximately 70 people, with extra seating inside in case you visit on a chilly day. The menu is comprehensive with an emphasis on fish dishes, and my friend and I asked for some time to study the menu over an apéritif or two, which caused no problem for the very polite and friendly waitress. We were very hungry, and neither of us fancied a fish dish, so we opted for some traditional german fare: my friend chose a jägerschnitzel (pork steak with mushroom sauce) with salad and pommes frites, and I chose a pfeffersteak (pork steak with pepper sauce) with salad and rostli (fried shredded potato cakes). I have to say that both the schnitzel and the pfeffersteak were rather dry, but both sauces were excellent. My rostli were a triumph. As in most german establishments, the accompanying beer (Veltins on draught) was superb. It’s really hard to go wrong with german beer in my experience.

The service was excellent and the bill with beers and coffees came to 32.70 euros, which was fair value. I would return to this restaurant, but next time I would try one of the fish dishes.

• Bobek's Profile Photo

La Casa: Delicious like at home with mummy

by Bobek Updated Mar 13, 2006

La Casa Restaurant

Although primarily specialised in Indian meals, Italian is also served here.... But what a surprise! How delicious! We came here, three persons altogether, and wanted to try the "family pizza", a big piece that usually is not served in German restaurants. This was 40 x 60 cm and fully decorated with tasty stuff. In do not want to get deeper into this, only that is was entirely worth the money - and we also took two pieces home because it was definitely too much.

The major argument for this restaurant is that the service is plainly extraordinary, in a positive sense, of course. The boss took plenty of her time for a chat with us. Actually we had beed recommended some Indian food because the cook is supposed to be a real specialist in doing this but we wanted something else, the family pizza. So if the Indian meals are even better than the Italian ones, this restaurant beats them all in Goettingen!

So much for that. We ordered seats for the Sunday brunch the day after tomorrow. It will be for 7.90 EUR including all drinks (except alcohol drinks). I wonder if they can keep their high standards then, too. My report will follow...

The Sunday brunch - Well sufficient for this price: two hot meals, one Italian and one Indian, a typical selection of rolls, sausages and cheese for a German breakfast, salad and cereals. Who can complain? A glass of champagne will be served for every guest as a welcome drink.

I will go there again to check out their Indian food - and I will let you know then.

Favorite Dish: Family Pizza - so far

• Efendi Efendi Efendi: Unreasonably good kebabs

by John-Ryan Updated Dec 5, 2005

This is a hidden gem of a kebab shop close to the centre of town. It is unquestionably the best doner joint in Goettingen, and amongst the pantheon of great kebab shops in Germany. From the outside, there is little indication of the culinary delights inside. The seating area is pretty small, but the place never seems to be overcrowded. This phenomenon is inexplicable given the quality of the fare on offer.

Favorite Dish: The doner kebab and fries 'mit alles darauf'.

• Study Abroad

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo

Many Restaurants and Beer Gardens: Restaurants With Backyards

by RhineRoll Written Oct 16, 2004

Goettingen's historic old town contains many wonderful backyards often occupied by beer gardens and restaurants. When it's summer, don't miss this great opportunity for atmospheric dining and pubbing. Most of the patrons being students, prices are quite reasonable.

• chancay's Profile Photo

Gartenlaube: Gartenlaube breakfast cafe

by chancay Written Feb 6, 2004

Gartenlaube

A little cafe /bar / bistro next to the townhall. It is a nice cafe with nice ambience, but I wasn´t very happy with the service and the breakfast we got...or in other words, it was ok but really nothing special and not really much for the money.

• alexberlin's Profile Photo

Cron & Lanz: Cron & Lanz

by alexberlin Updated Aug 26, 2002

Fresh own made Cakes, Tortas, Pralinés........

Favorite Dish: ....what can I tell you.... Cakes, Patery, Praliné... this place I miss most when looking for good sweets in Berlin....try it - you will stay with just one pice of cake !! - I love thi place and the Cakes !!!

Instant Answers: Göttingen

Comments

Göttingen Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Göttingen restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Göttingen sightseeing.