The house with the two gables, built in 1764, in Kanzleistraße served as tax office in the 18th century. Here the Akzise was collected and administered - communal taxes on food and consumers' goods like beer, coffee, sugar, meat, etc. which incoming merchants had to pay.
Cultivation of vegetables and fruit has long been an essential part of Wolfenbüttel's economy. To recall a tradition of 300 years, local gardeners donated this monument with the support of a regional bank. The bronze gardeners couple was created by F. Müller-Belecke in Hemmoor and put up in front of Trinitatiskirche in 1998.
The "new" Ducal registry office substituted the former seat in Schlossplatz in the late 16th century. An existing house was enlarged and redesigned for the administration of the Duchy by Hans Vredeman der Vries in 1587-1588. The facade underwent some minor changes in the 19th century.
Location: Kanzleistraße, which was named after this building
South Sea flair on a white sandy beach... Wolfenbüttel can fulfil this dream, at least in summer. A part of the park along the former town moat has been transformed into "Laguna Beach". The lagoon is actually a duck pond in a plain normal German park, the white sand on the beach has been transported here by trucks, but who cares.
In other words:
My photos were taken in mid-winter, so the whole thing looks even more ridiculous.
Location: along Stadtgraben, off Landeshuter Platz and Trinitatiskirche east of the old town
In the early 19th century the town's fortifications were pulled down and turned into promenades and parks. The former gates were substituted by guard-houses in classicist style.
At the former Herzogtor ("Ducal Gate") along the road towards Braunschweig, the pair of guard-houses has been preserved. They were planned by Peter Joseph Krahe, Braunschweig's court architect and most important representative of classicist/neoclassical style in the land of Braunschweig, in 1825.
Location: Am Herzogtore. You can see them when entering the town by car or bus along the Bundesstraße from Braunschweig.
The house Kanzleistraße 4 was formerly used by the Freemasons, the lodge "Wilhelm zu den drei Säulen" (William to the three columns). Their symbol is still visible above the main door (photo 3).
The former ramparts along the eastern side of the old town have been turned into a park. Behind Trinitatiskirche, some historical tombstones, leftovers of an old cemetery, have been assembled.
Location: Landeshuter Platz
This strange fruit can be found in the pedestrian mall, in Krambuden, in front of Hertie department store. The sculpture is dated 1977.