Aachen Restaurants

Apfelbaumhaus
    Hexenhof

Most Recent Restaurants in Aachen

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Sultans of Kebap: Healthy Eating At Silly O'Clock!

by johngayton Written Jul 8, 2015

One thing I really forward to during my travels is getting the chance to eat some proper "Junk Food" - we have no such thing where I live here on Lundy.

Germany continues to disappoint!

Germans just don't seem to understand the concept of what us British drunks want from a fast food restaurant when we get the munchies on the way back from the pub. The last thing I want is flavoursome, greaseless meat, fresh-tasting salad and a crispy on the outside, moist and chewy on the inside pitta-style wrap. I want limp bread, greasy meat and salad which should have the consistency of boiled newspaper.

So, Sultans of Kebap, gets a five-star thumbs-down from this corner.

Service continued the theme, being welcoming, swift and friendly. Eat-in or take-away the incredibly cheap price added to my general dissatisfaction and the immaculate tables, spotlessly-shiny kitchen and general overall laid-back atmosphere did the place no favours whatsoever.

Favorite Dish: What they call a Kebapbag - Lean Doner meat with a choice of salads and sauces in a crispily toasted pitta wrap - disgusting stuff!

• Beer Tasting

Zum Goldenen Einhorn: 1st VT dinner

by croisbeauty Updated Jul 4, 2015

The first visit to a certain destination carries the risk that we choose a wrong restaurant for a meal, which then effects our judgment of the local restaurants that can be completely wrong. It is fortunate that Valentina, who organized the VT meeting, lives in Aachen and she recommended a couple of really good restaurants. Less then that nor could be expected from a lady who originally comes from Macedonia, which is known for its good food.
    Zum Goldener Eihhorn is decorated in traditional German style in whose interior dominates wooden elements and it is the environment in which every guest feel comfortable.
    This first night in Aachen VTers won and conquered "Zum Goldener Einhorn", which was available to us only.

Favorite Dish: Listing the menu is not my strong side, I got a beef broth and roast pork in a sauce with a side dish, that was good and very profusely, plus mixed green salad. For a drink I ordered white wine which was of good quality, some sort of Riesling very drinkable and well chilled. I am not sure for the price but I think it costed around 30 euros.

Zum Goldenen Einhorn VTers in Zum Goldenen Einhorn VTers in Zum Goldenen Einhorn menu menu

Zum Goldenen Einhorn: Cosy but a little cramped

by toonsarah Updated Jun 28, 2015

We had the first evening meal of the 2015 Euromeet "Zum Goldenen Einhorn", a traditional place on the market square. There are a few tables outside where we gathered before had, but we soon moved inside to our reserved room at the back of the restaurant. This had a cosy atmosphere, but was quite dark and cramped, especially with so many excited VTers milling around greeting old friends and the frustrated serving staff trying to seat us. The latter seemed a little stressed by size of group and quite brusque when we got in their way - possibly understandable, but I felt that they could have been a bit friendlier. I guess they're maybe unused to large group bookings here?

Anyway, the food was all pretty good and once we were seated and enjoying the meal the staff seemed to relax, though never became especially warm in their manner. From the set choices we had been offered I had selected
    ~ Clear beef soup (a consommé) with bone-marrow dumplings and sliced vegetables
    ~ Fried fillets of Hake with home-made remoulade sauce, boiled potatoes and cucumber salad

The food was all tasty, the dessert surprisingly so, as we had been offered no choice for this course and I was expecting some sort of porridge rather than the refreshing fruity dish I received. I also really liked the fish and the cucumber salad.

Despite my reservations about the service I would consider eating here again, but probably not in a large group.

VTers waiting for dinner Our cosy corner Beef consomme Fried hake

Zum Goldener Schwan: 2nd VT dinner

by croisbeauty Updated Jun 21, 2015

The second, and my last dinner, we had in a typical German beer pub called Zum Goldener Schwan, which is in the immediate neighbor of Zum Goldener Eingorn. It has very simple but pleasurable ambiance specifically designed for guests who want good food and even better cold beer. Setting of a pub allows more relaxed behavior and the atmosphere was much better then during our first dinner.
    Our fellow member "Planxty" appeared in a kilt and this has also contributed to a laid back atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: The food was abundant and very tasty. First we got cold slice of meat with sauce and then a large salary that is a combination of pizza and Mexican tapas. As a main course was served pork shank, well grilled and very tasty. In the end was served a delicious cream cake. Of course we all watered food with abundant amount of cold draft beer.
    Again I am not sure for the price but I think we paid id around 30 euros.

Zum Goldener Schwan Zum Goldener Schwan Zum Goldener Schwan pizza&tapas grilled pork shank

• planxty's Profile Photo

Sultans of Kebap: Everybody needs one sometimes

by planxty Written Jun 14, 2015

It is something of an article of faith amongst Britons that people do not generally eat kebabs unless they have had a few drinks and a look at any of the late night kebab shops round where I live in London on a Friday or Saturday night would seem to bear that out. It was almost inevitable therefore that when a few of us foregathered for a pre-meet prior to the excellent Euromeet 2015 and had imbibed some excellent German beer that the journey home was going to involve a trip to the large and rather flashy looking Sultans of Kebap which just happened to be on the way.

In we went and were served promptly and efficiently by a friendly guy . I opted for what I would call a doner kebab in a flatbread affair which is rather oddly known as a kebapbag for some reason. The flatbread was slightly different to the type of pitta bread I am accustomed to at home but it was very tasty as was the filling which really was delicious and way better than some of the awful greasy rubbish so often offered in UK. Indeed, my dear friend John Gayton, himself a professional chef, uttered the immortal line, "Great kebab and it is almost healthy!" It really was just what was needed at that time of night although it would be equally good at any time of day which is useful as the place does not shut.

I believe this is one of a number of franchises round Germany, Belgium and France but it is none the worse for that and I would definitely recommend it for an inexpensive snack or even more substantial meal as they also do plated dishes and even salads for the more health conscious. A great find.

Favorite Dish: The kebapbag as described in the main text.

Sultans of Kebap, Aachen, Germany. Sultans of Kebap, Aachen, Germany. Sultans of Kebap, Aachen, Germany.

Hexenhof: Frozen Jogurth

by croisbeauty Updated Jun 13, 2015

Days in Aachen was pretty hot and humid and my spine painful so I had to make breaks more often then usually." Hexenhof" has a lovely terrace in a good position and I decided to stop and take some refreshing drink. The waitress suggested to try frozen yogurt which is offered in like twenty or more different combinations and flavors. Jogurt is served as ice cream, if desired with variety of toppings, but I ordered big cup of plain yogurt with no additives, and it was good and refreshing. The price was something more then 3 euros.

Favorite Dish: The terrace in front of the "Hexenhof" was in a shadow and on it flushed gentle refreshing breeze so I let the benefits of such atmosphere. Moreover, terrace is in the position with the view almost ideal for people watching.

Hexenhof Apfelbaumhaus Hexenhof

• leics's Profile Photo

Besitos: Huge and popular tapas place.....

by leics Written Jun 8, 2015

I arrived in Aachen in the late afternoon and had not signed up for the Saturday evening meal. so I needed something to eat as well as a cold beer with Vt mates.

They went to Besitos, a massive tapas restaurant (really a pub which serves tapas) not far from our hotels. So I joined them and whilst we all enjoyed the beer I had something to eat as well.

Besitos offers a pretty extensive range of tapas, serving some as raciones (larger, main course size) as well as snacks. I chose grilled sheep's cheese with roasted vegetables, rosemary-roasted potatoes and a mint-yoghurt dip. Everything was very tasty and well-cooked and it certainly filled a gap. That was the cheapest 'racione' on the menu, at 9.90 euro.

I've since discovered that Besitos is a small chain, with branches in other German cities.

We sat outside in the small 'plaza' of what seemed to be a little shopping area created from older buildings (I may be wrong about this) but Besitos also has a huge atrium, with numerous tables set in a massive hall underneath a high glass roof.

Service was very pleasant, courteous and friendly with good English spoken by our waitress.

Judging by the number of locals there late on a Saturday afternoon this is a very popular place indeed. Most were indeed eating tapas although some were just having a drink with friends. Besitos serves cocktails as well as the usual range of alcohol you'd find in a pub.

Definitely somewhere worth seeking out if you are in the area and fancy a snack with your beer or wine.

Interior atrium The grilled cheese etc.......

Vielharmonie: Very reasonably priced

by toonsarah Written Jun 7, 2015

This large restaurant on a lively street to the north of the old town was the choice for the final dinner of the 2015 VT Euromeet.

Our meal was served buffet style and there was certainly plenty to choose from, and in large quantities, though personally I wasn't very happy to see it already set out before we even arrived, and so close to the door. As to the quality of the food, I found it a bit mixed - there were some good salads (especially the potato and egg one) and I enjoyed the calamari, for instance, but some of the pastry items were a bit stodgy. The price was very reasonable however, at €13 for all you could eat! Drinks too were very reasonably priced - €3.30 for a large beer, for example.

Vielharmonie Part of the buffet My selection VT fun Vielharmonie after dark

Brauerei Goldener Schwan: Best of the [Euromeet] bunch

by toonsarah Written Jun 7, 2015

We ate here on the Saturday evening of the 2015 Euromeet and personally I found the dinner the best of the three that we had over the weekend. The friendly waiting staff were very welcoming to our at-times chaotic group, in contrast to the previous evening at the Golderner Einhorn.

We had a pre-ordered set meal consisting of:
    A selection of traditional German starters:
    ~ Braised beef in Printen sauce
    ~ Boiled beef in horseradish cream sauce
    ~ Bloodsausage with mash potatoes
    ~ Rosti with herbal cream
    A selection of main course dishes served to each table:
    ~ Flammkuchen with Feta, spinach and artichoke
    ~ Sauerbraten "Aachener Art" in honey biscuit sauce, red cabbage with apples and salty potatoes
    ~ Roasted pork shank with fried herby potatoes and pickled cabbage

All the food was very tasty, especially for me the blood sausage starter and the Flammkuchen which actually was served in several different flavour combinations and in large quantities! I was personally less keen on the Printen sauce (a local speciality) served on the braised beef starter and Sauerbraten as I found it a bit sweet.

For dessert I had chosen the Viennese apple Strudel with homemade vanilla sauce and whipped cream, which was also very good. We paid €29 for the three courses which also included a glass of red or white wine. My only disappointment was that I was in the mood for beer that evening and couldn’t swap wine for beer, even though the latter is cheaper. Still, I was happy to pay for beer as prices here are reasonable, at least in comparison to London!

As on the previous night we were seated in a back room, which had a cosy but not so cramped atmosphere. There is also some seating outside in the market square where we enjoyed some beers before the meal. I would happily return here on a future visit to Aachen to sample the full (non-group) menu.

Brauerei Goldener Schwan Beers outside Starters Flammkuchen Hansi tackles the pork shank

Living Room: A sunny terrace

by toonsarah Written Jun 7, 2015

I lunched here with friends Isa and Mariel on a sunny day when the outside seating in this pretty square drew us in, along with the extensive menu. But despite the sun it was chilly in the shade of the large umbrellas, so the blankets provided were put to use. Later the sun moved round and fell right on us, giving us some welcome warmth - until we got too hot! There's no pleasing some people, it seems.

But my lunch certainly did please me - a goats cheese salad with fresh fruit, raisins, walnuts, leaves, honey dressing. It looked amazing and tasted delicious. For this I paid €16 which included a refreshing apple juice and double espresso afterwards. The others also enjoyed their meals, I believe – a pizza and a pasta dish. Service was friendly and we weren’t at all rushed, in the end spending well over an hour here chatting over our lunch.

The inside space looked great too and I think this could be a cool place to check out of an evening though I didn't get the chance to do so.

Goats cheese salad Mariel plus blanket View from my seat

Aachener Brauhaus: Traditional comforts

by toonsarah Written Jun 7, 2015

This is a traditional-style Brauhaus just across the road from the theatre, but despite that good location not over-priced as I had feared. The food is equally traditional in style with an extensive menu which includes many Germanic favourites - sausages, meatloaf, Schnitzel, Sauerkraut etc. etc. The décor is cosy – think dark wood, old copper pans, seating in booths, at tables or at the bar.

I was here with two friends and between us we sampled a range of dishes, all of which were tasty I believe. My Bockwurst (Frankfurter-style sausage) with potato salad was certainly good, and I enjoyed the red cabbage I'd ordered as a side dish. I also liked the local beer we sampled - Ocher Bier.

Prices were, as I said, very reasonable for a well-located place with bags of tourist appeal. I paid €17 for my main course, side dish and two mid-size (.30) beers.

Note that according to the website it is closed on Sundays from January to September, though accepts large group bookings on those days.

Aachener Brauhaus Inside the Aachener Brauhaus Bockwurst

Nobis Printen: Local bakery chain

by toonsarah Written Jun 7, 2015

I twice ate breakfast in the Theaterstraße branch of this local bakery chain, with branches all over the city. There was a wide range of rolls and pastries available, all very reasonably priced (and some on special deals, making them very cheap - e.g. two for €1.50). My choice on the first day was a large, rather sticky but tasty cherry pastry, and on the second an equally large Streusel-topped bun. On both occasions my pastry and cappuccino cost less than €4.

There are a few tables inside where we sat for breakfast but also a small number on the side street outside. We stopped here one afternoon for a coffee but I was a bit disappointed with this, having asked for an iced coffee and getting instead one that was lukewarm and rather weak. Despite this, my positive impressions of the breakfasts mean that I would recommend Nobis for that meal, and it looks worth trying for lunch too, with lots of filled rolls etc. available.

Inside Nobis Cherry pastry

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

Zum goldenen Einhorn: The Golden Unicorn

by Nemorino Written Jun 5, 2015

Our first VT dinner of the EuroMeet 2015 was held at a traditional old-timey restaurant called The Golden Unicorn. My first three photos show the front of the restaurant from various angles.

For VT member and local resident MacedonianUK (Valentina), who did a great job of organizing the entire meeting, it was not at all easy to find restaurants that could accommodate a large group such as ours, because some other big events were going on in Aachen on the same weekend, for instance an obnoxious “Oldtimers Rally” that brought hundreds of obsolete motor vehicles and their proud owners to the center of Aachen.

But in the end Valentina found us two very nice and friendly restaurants for our dinners, both “golden” and both facing the front entrance of the City Hall, with only a Starbucks between them.

For starters at the Golden Unicorn we had a choice of “Fine clear beef soup with bone-marrow dumplings and sliced veg” or “tomato and carrot soup with basil cream”. (I took the beef soup and it was very tasty.)

For the main dish, we had a choice of “pickled leg of pork in aspick with homemade remoulade sauce and fried potatoes” or “Schitzel with Zingara sauce, French fries, and small side salad” or “fried fillets of Hake with home made remoulade sauce with boiled potatoes and cucumber salad” or “Spaghetti in home made Ruccola -Pesto sauce and ruccola salad and parmesan cheese (Vegetarian)“. (I took the Hake, which is a kind of fish resembling cod or haddock, and found it rather dry but otherwise fine.)

For dessert, we all got “red and yellow grits with bourbon vanilla ice cream”.

Fourth and fifth photos: VT members in the Golden Unicorn. 40 VT members and 10 guests were signed up for this dinner.

If you look at the Golden Unicorn’s website, you will find (as of June 2015) that they have so far only uploaded photos but no texts. The texts you will see are just generic texts that have nothing to do with the restaurant.

The Golden Unicorn The Golden Unicorn The Golden Unicorn VT members in the Golden Unicorn

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

Brauerei Goldener Schwan: The Golden Swan

by Nemorino Updated Jun 5, 2015

Our restaurant for the second VT dinner in Aachen was also golden and was called the Golden Swan, just two doors down from the Golden Unicorn where we had eaten the night before.

40 VT members and 9 guests were signed up for this dinner, so we practically took over the entire ground floor of the restaurant. (There are also two upper floors which are used for more sedate gatherings.)

As promised by Valentina, who did a great job of organizing the entire meeting, we were first served a selection of German "tapas" consisting of braised beef in printen sauce, boiled beef in horsereddish cream sauce, boodsausage with mash potatoes and rosti with herbal cream. Then came the main course, which was served on huge plates per table and consisted of Flammkuchen with Feta, spinach and artichoke, Sauerbraten "Aachener Art", red cabbage with apples and salty potatoes along with roasted pork shank with fried herby potatoes and pickled cabbage.

This was all served rather chaotically, which suited the occasion very well, and was mostly quite tasty – something for everybody, in any case, and in more-than-adequate quantities.

Second photo: VT’s Head of PR, Marketing & Community Relations, Usctwin (Kimberly), actually had no trouble making herself heard, despite what the photo looks like.

Third and fourth photo: VT members in the Golden Swan.

The Golden Swan Kimberly making announcements VT members in the Golden Swan VT members in the Golden Swan

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

VIELHARMONIE: BUFFET STYLE

by LoriPori Updated Jun 2, 2015

Valentina writes

Farewell dinner Aachen 2015
    Organized by MacedonianUK
    May 24, 2015 at 8:30 PM
    Vielharmonie, Pontstr. 101-105 Aachen, Germany 52062

The farewell dinner will be held at Vielharmonie restaurant and bar in Pontor strasse which is very much lively part of town where young and old get together for good food and few drinks.

The dinner will be hot buffet style featuring about 20 different starters, main dishes and salads,including deserts.

all drinks are payable at the bar including coctails, beer, wine and spirits.

Price per head is €13

if you want to join us please sign below.

see you all in Vielharmonie

Best Valentina

Favorite Dish: I really enjoyed this buffet. So much to choose from. I really liked the meat dishes which included chicken and pork. The salads were wonderful and I really enjoyed the grape leaves which I haven't had in ages. You were allowed to go up as many times as you want. I did return for some more grape leaves and some dessert which included a cake and some pudding. All in all very enjoyable.

Vielharmonie Buffet Buffet

Instant Answers: Aachen

Comments

Aachen Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Aachen restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Aachen sightseeing.