Aachen Restaurants

• Restaurants
    by CatherineReichardt

Most Recent Restaurants in Aachen

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

Extra Blatt caffe: The best breakfast in town!!

by MacedonianUK Updated Jun 15, 2014

The Caffe serves Breakfast buffet from Mon-Sat. and the price is €8,50.
    They have one of the most comprehensive buffets I have ever seen.
    From English breakfast, to cerials, toast, different kinds of bread, meats and cheasses, Yougurts and fresh fruits,juces and american muffins, chocolades and more....The list is endless. And all for such a good price. Most of the students visit the place and always is buissy.
    the caffee serves also different dishes as well during the day and I particulary like their tortila wraps.
    Extra Blatt is small chain of caffes, wich can be found in Cologne too.

Favorite Dish: Breakfast buffet and tuna wrap.

• Study Abroad

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

Cafe Bistro Melograno: Taste of Italy.....

by MacedonianUK Updated May 7, 2013

Yummy tortellini

This little cafe/bistro is situated in Burtschide neighbourhood of Aachen. In the past (150yrs ago) this was small spa village just outside of the city walls, now as the city expand is part of it, but still retain the feel of village with high street , where this little cafe is situated. As a traveller you have to look for it, as is far out of the center.
    Actually that is the whole charm of the cafe as it sits in the nice secluded sqare, where you can relax and watch the world go by.
    The cafe mainly serves Italian & Turkish food with a twist, and I like it very much.
    Also they serve delicious vegetarian and vegan dishes.
    Decor is very relaxed French '20 Bistro, is not huge,has about 17 tables, and when weather permits there is front patio to sit by nice fountain and small garden .
    Portions are pretty generous and the price is very affordable. Even the cups of coffe are big!
    You can come by for a cup of coffe( proper French roast) or for nice lunch/ dinner
    They are open from 11:00-23:00 Mon-Sat

Favorite Dish: My favourite is home made tortellini with ricotta and spinach, with lovely zesty tomato & cream sauce.
    My son prefers their lasagna.
    But whatever you order you won't be sorry.

• MacedonianUK's Profile Photo

Tasin Ice cream: Best Icecream in Town!!!!!

by MacedonianUK Updated Mar 3, 2013

Icecream haven

The owners of Eis Caffee Tasin are fullbloded Italians and the Ice cream they serve is the real thing!! Proper,melt in your mouth ambrosia...
    I love the fact that they have over 30 different flavours of icecream, and also have Ice cream for diabetics and a big choice of sorbets and frozen yougurts.
    I was proprerly impresed with the sorbets, as is not your run of the mill, frozen flavoured water with big lumps of icicles, but fresh natural juces made in realy delicious sorbets.
    Very handy if you have familly or frends and travel companions wich are lactose intolerant or diabetic.
    I highly recomend visit to this place! Is not to be missed.
    And if you are ice cream lover, the portions are humongus!!!!!

Favorite Dish: Favorite?!?!?!

EVRYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Study Abroad

• johngayton's Profile Photo

AKL: A Perfect Agreement!!

by johngayton Written Jan 8, 2013

Having found the atmospheric and friendly Cafe Egmont for a few beers after our arduous afternoon of culture, history and Christmas Market shopping we reckoned a serious nibble was in order - something a bit more substantial than the freebie nuts that came with the beers. There were menus on the tables from the Lebanese restaurant AKL and upon enquiring of one of the servers about ordering, she explained that AKL was the take-away next door.

It seems Cafe Egmont and AKL have an agreement whereby the cafe's customers can order food from the takeaway and have it delivered to them at their table and so that's what we did.

Favorite Dish: We opted for one each of the "veggie" and normal meze platters between the four of us and these arrived within minutes. Each platter was substantially laden with all sorts of Middle-eastern goodies: falafel, samosas, kibbeh, pastry rolls, flatbread and a variety of dips and speads, all artistically presented.

Everything was tasty, freshly-cooked and being able to enjoy without leaving our comfortable table in the main bar area was a doubleplusgood bonus.

Yep, an excellent agreement - the "before" and "after" pics tell the tale :-)

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Loosen's ??: If You're At The Christmas Market...

by johngayton Written Jan 8, 2013

...then it's got to be sausages and beer time!

I'm not sure whether "Loosen's" is the name of this stall or the name of the sausage maker but whatever this is a must do if visiting any Christmas Market anywhere in Germany. At Aachen's there were several food and drink stalls offering variations on the sausage/frites/reibekuchen theme but this one had the best variety and a covered eating area at the back.

My Bockwurst mit Sauerkruat was excellent and not particularly expensive. I was a bit disappointed with the beer though - Jupiler being one of the cheaper Belgian beers - and the service was a bit offish. No sooner had we finished eating when the guy came to clear our table and almost literally chased us off. But HeyHo it was mulled wine time anyway!!

• Wine Tasting

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Printen: Öcher variation on a gingerbread theme!

by CatherineReichardt Updated Aug 2, 2012

Printen is the Öcher (Aachen) variation on a gingerbread theme, and in the city centre, you'll come across many shops which specialise in this local delicacy.

Shame on me, even as a devoted gingerbread enthusiast, I have yet to get around to sampling this (there's only so much good eating that you can do in one place at any one time)! However, that doesn't stop me being enchanted by the window displays through the city, which combine Aachen's twin passions: food and horses. When we were there, they were in the midst of a tournament which involved a large Brazilian contingent, hence all the flags.

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Albrecht Duerer Stuben: Ice cold kolsch - what more could you want?

by CatherineReichardt Updated Nov 15, 2011

Albrecht Duerer Stuben

There are times when you're travelling that you just want to sink down onto a comfortable seat in an atmospheric setting and recharge your batteries: thus I found myself in the Albrecht Duerer Stube (tavern) just by the Dom in Aachen with the best part of an hour to while away before the 14:00 English tour.

There are a number of attractive looking places to eat and drink in this area, and I chose the Albrecht Duerer because I admire the artist and it looked small and welcoming from the outside (it was a brisk spring day and I was nursing bronchitis). The inside looks very much as you would imagine a tavern to have been a couple of hundred years ago (only cleaner), with wooden benches and a traditional bar. I was also charmed by the fact that a huge thick blanket was hanging across the inside of the door as a huge draft excluder which added an element of cosy charm!

Also, a big bonus was that there was no musak - and having had a liberal dose of schlager (a dire, cheesy pop music form popular in Northern Europe and akin to bad Country and Western) inflicted on me by my hotel throughout breakfast, I was more than grateful for the peace!

I treated myself to several medicinal glasses of my favourite beer, Kolsch: the glasses traditionally only have a 200ml capacity, so that's not quite as boozy as it sounds, and by far the most enjoyable self-medication I've administered in ages! I parked myself on a bench by the window and idly consulted my map and watched the world meander past as I sipped my beer, and presently felt much better!

Like most German bars, this serves a traditional menu: I didn't have anything to eat, but the plates that passed by me on their way to other patrons looked pretty good and the smell was mouthwatering.

In summer I would imagine that it's a very pleasant to sit outside.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Brauerei Goldener Schwan: German Tapas

by BillNJ Updated Apr 4, 2011

On my first night in Aachen, I met with VTer Stef (TinyTuck) and her two friends, Alex and Alex. We had dinner at the Brauerei Goldener Schwan on the Markt overlooking the Rathaus. To eat, Stef and I enjoyed "German tapas". For a fixed price, you get a sample portion of five different dishes. I liked this choice because it afforded me the opportunity to sample a bunch of different local specialties.

One Alex was a vegetarian -- and the other described herself as a "restaurant vegetarian" (first time I heard that one!). Since most of the German tapas dishes had meat, they ordered Flammkuchen (which is a like a thin pizza) topped with vegetables.

To drink, we enjoyed Dom Kölsch. Since Aachen is relatively close to Cologne, many restaurants and bars serve Kölsch which is the local beer of Cologne.

If you want to try a few different German specialities while in Aachen, the German tapas at the Brauerei Goldener Schwan is a good choice!

Favorite Dish: German tapas - sample portions provide the opportunity to try a few local specialties in one meal.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Leo Der Bäcker & Konditor: Café/bakery chain

by BillNJ Updated Apr 4, 2011

For lunch on my second day in Aachen, I stopped at Leo Der Bäcker & Konditor which is a café/bakery chain in Aachen. I ordered a baguette with raw mettwurst and onions. While the minced pork in mettwurst is raw, it is preserved by curing and smoking. I have never had anything quite like it before, and it is quite tasty.

The bakery portion of Leo has many delicious bread, pastries, cakes, and other desserts. I didn't try any, but they looked delicious.

Favorite Dish: Baguette with raw mettwurst and onions

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Aachener Brauhaus: My first real German meal

by garridogal Updated Apr 4, 2011

My dainty lager

Although this wasn't the first restaurant we ate at in Aachen, it was the first where we ordered typically German food. I like the pub feel of this place. With lots of dark wood and big comfy booths, it had a homey feel.

Favorite Dish: Bryan got the schnitzel which was served with french fries and I had a sausage (forget what kind of "wurst" it was, served with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut. And some German beer, of course!

• Business Travel

• hquittner's Profile Photo

"Zum Schiffgen": Good German Fare

by hquittner Updated Apr 4, 2011

Eat here!

Clean, excellent cooking, been in business a long time, proper service, remodelled in 1999.

Favorite Dish: Since it was spargel season we ate from that menu and had asparagus soup and classic white asparagus with Hollandaise sauce and potatoes.

• Seniors

• IceBear7's Profile Photo

Tutto Gelato: Das Cafè im Haus zum Mohren

by IceBear7 Updated Apr 4, 2011

A wonderful cake-coffee-ice cream house in a wonderful old house. Cosy tables on several floors, typical rice cakes on the menu, tasty ice cream for take away, located centrally in the city center. A new discovery for me and I'll definitely be back!

Koenig City: My Next German Beer

by johngayton Written Sep 18, 2010

Beer and Sausage!

This is more of a beerhouse than a restaurant offering a simple snack, schnitzel, pizza and pasta menu. Indoors the pub is characterful retaining many of its original wooden and brass fixtures giving the impression of cosiness for those winter evenings. Outdoors the busy terrace is on one of the main squares just to the east of the historic centre.

Service by the gloriously mustachioed waiter was swift, friendly and multi-lingual and overall the place had a pleasant buzz.

Favorite Dish: I was just after a nibble to go with my beer and the "Bockwurst mit Bauernbrot" at 3 euros was ideal for the task.

La Stazione: My First German Beer In Germany

by johngayton Updated Sep 18, 2010

Lunch

It was only when the cheery waiter greeted me "Buongiorno" that I realsised that my first visit to a German restaurant was in fact to an Italian one! I'd chosen this one after I'd checked my train times and that the Aachen Hbf ticket machine was user-friendly (which it is) as it had an attractive, reasonably busy, terrace on the sunny side of the square opposite the railway station.

Never mind - my Italian menu-reading skills are far better than my German ones and whilst the menu is very Italian the beers are distinctively not.

Favorite Dish: I was just after a light lunch and so the Salate section of the menu was ideal, and very reasonably priced. My "Insalata di Mare" turned out to be the mixed seafood that you buy in tubs, pickled in brine, but none the worse for that - plenty of fishy bits tossed through a rocket salad with the occasional bite of fresh chillies, a good olive oil dressing and a copious grind of fresh black pepper. Best though were the moistly chewy little breads which accompanied it and with a couple of large beers (Erdinger, from erding in Bavaria) the 14 Euro bill was excellent value.

• staindesign's Profile Photo

Any Turkish Restaurant: Cheap Turkish Food

by staindesign Written Jul 6, 2009

I loved the Turkish food around Aachen. It was cheap and they serve large portions! I never paid more than 6 euro for anything. Most meals are served with grilled sliced meat, rice, a bit of salad, and fried potatoes. This was quite refreshing after having heavy German meals with heavy sauces and cured meats. Don't get me wrong, German food is Amazing. But it does a number to the digestive tract! Turkish food offers a bit of lightness and it is very tasty!

Favorite Dish: Grilled chicken or pork

Instant Answers: Aachen

Comments

Aachen Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Aachen restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Aachen sightseeing.

Aachen Members Meetings