Aachen Tourist Traps

Christmas market
    by TinyTuck

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Aachen

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Beware of Cathedral's reconstructions and traffic

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jan 25, 2013

That trip to Aachen was one of the most unsuccessful our trips in Germany since 1999…
    We started at 9.00 from Wuppertal where we stayed for a night and planned to have two excursions that day: in Cologne and Aachen. But we had to come to the stadium in Dusseldorf not later than 16.30 to make Asslan’s registration on SV BSZS.
    The distance – 230km, I planned 3 hours in the way, 3 hours for excursion in Cologne and 2 hours for excursion in Aachen.
    We reached Cologne in 10.00 and started to Aachen in 12.00.
    But we overcame 70 km to Aachen only in two hours because of traffic jams on the autobahn.
    That’s why we had only one hour excursion bewaring to be late to the registration in Dusseldorf.

The next disappointment was discharge of my video camera because I forgot to charge it the night before…

And the last disappointment was – the Imperial Cathedral was closed for reconstruction… We wanted to see the final resting place of Charlemagne and the church of coronation for 30 German kings and 12 queens, sacral masterpieces of the late Classical, Carolingian, Ottonian and Staufian period - among them there are some unique exhibits like the Cross of Lothair, the Bust of Charlemagne and the Persephone sarcophagus but failed.

No video, only one photo I have after that trip.

Besides that we got in traffic jam on the way to Dusseldorf and were almost late for registration. Irina had to run with Asslan and completed the registration at five minutes before it finished.

• Architecture

• little_liebchen's Profile Photo

Frankenburg Castle - Not Worth a Visit

by little_liebchen Written May 5, 2007

I visited Aachen several times before I was even aware of Frankenburg Castle. I was not impressed. The inside is basically stripped bare, and some archeological things are on display. There is also a stage...one of the local theatre companies obviously gives performances here. But unless you are going to one of those performances, there is really no reason to be there. The exhibits in the castle really don't have much to do with the castle, and you aren't going to feel as if you're inside a castle while you're there.

• Museum Visits
    • Castles and Palaces

• TinyTuck's Profile Photo

Christmas Market

by TinyTuck Updated Sep 7, 2002

Christmas market

Christmas market ('Weihnachtsmarkt') - It´s kind of a tourist trap. Buses of tourists from all over Germany and surrounding countries come to Aachen for it´s beautiful Christmas market. It sure IS very nice, but I have to admit that it´s not much better than other German Christmas markets I´ve seen...
    It´s usually from November 22nd till December 22nd or something like that. If you happen to be in Aachen during Christmas time (before Christmas that is) you have to visit the traditional Christmas market in the old city center. The numerous stands offer different arts and crafts, gifts, food, and candy like the famous 'Aachener Printen'. Meeting points are the different hot wine ('Glühwein') places where you can chat with friends and get heated up by this typical winter time drink! It´s open daily from 11.00 till (only) 20.30, so you might want to continue the night in the surrounding bars.

Instant Answers: Aachen

Comments

Aachen Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Aachen tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Aachen sightseeing.

Aachen Members Meetings