Kölner Dom (Cologne Cathedral), Cologne

Know about this? Rate It!

• Scaffolding in 1950 - there is ongoing scaffolding
    Scaffolding in 1950 - there is ongoing...
    Looking back at the cathedral 1950
    Detail of the cathedral doorway in 1950
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Postcard to my Daughter from Koln am Rhein

by grandmaR Updated May 31, 2012

Dom, Rheinufer im Sonnenuntergoing, Hohnentor

Favorite thing: In 1964, when I left my children with my mother and went to meet my husband's ship in Europe, I sent periodic postcards to my daughter.

This one had two 20 DM stamps

The Cathedral is the outstanding thing to see in Cologne. I've been twice. Once in 1950 when I was 12, and in 1964.

Fondest memory: ..

Dear Daughter

We are going to see this church this morning. So far we haven't left the airport. I was one of the first through customs. I showed my passport, identified my bag, and had nothing to declare. If the Poste opens before we leave, I'll mail this.

Love
    Mummy

After our overnight flight, we had breakfast (sandwiches on pumpernickel) outside on the plaza. The Germans used a knife and fork to eat the sandwiches and thought picking them up to eat them was barbaric.

• Trains

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Perpetual renovation of the Cathedral

by BillNJ Updated May 29, 2008

Favorite thing: Because of the age and size of the Cathedral, it is pretty much under perpetual renovation. At any given time, you will most likely see scaffolding in some sections where renovation work is being performed. So, if you see work being done on the Cathedral while you are there, don't think that you came at a bad time!

The Cathedral is a sturdy structure built to last. In World War II, the Cathedral suffered 14 hits by Allied bombers -- but, fortunately, it did not collapse. By 1956, the repairs and restoration of the war damage was complete.

• Lucky79's Profile Photo

cool city :)

by Lucky79 Updated Mar 20, 2003

Favorite thing: Of course, the Dom (Cathedral) may be the biggest highlight, as it is one of the largest buildings ever built. It is situated near the train station and is surrounded by a bustling shopping area. Another nice area is Rhine Park, which offers beautiful views of the river and the city. On a nice day, take the cable car across the Rhine. It leaves from the zoo, and you can buy a one way or round trip ticket. Another nice activity is to visit Flora, the beautiful botanical gardens. They have huge outdoor gardens, as well as indoor exhibits, such as a rainforest. Entrance is free.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo

Construction started in 1248

by Sharrie Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Look up & you'll see 2 spires. 157 m in height, Cologne Cathedral was built in 1248 but was not completed until 1880!

Fondest memory: Frankly, I'm not one who'd fall in love with a cathedral that is black in color. I like things bright & sunny, especially with regards to a place of worship :-).

• Sharrie's Profile Photo

632 years to build

by Sharrie Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Just like this photo, my memory of Cologne Cathedral is very fuzzy. Coupled with the fact that we have just visited Rome, Venice, Florence & Vatican before this made it another Cathedral to keep up with. It somewhat lacks the flamboyance of the Italian basilica & the glorious history behind it.
    Nonetheless, it is still an amazing cathedral, one that took 632 years to complete! 632 year!!! Oh my, it's mind-boggling to me! What were those people doing with their time all those years!

• steventilly's Profile Photo

Mighty Majesty

by steventilly Written Feb 25, 2003

Soaring Splendour

Favorite thing: The single most outstanding feature of Cologne has got to be its Cathedral. It's immense and quite ornate from the outside. To be honest, I found the inside a let down by comparison - it was akin to Durham, but Durham doesn't have the sort of ornate exterior that leads you to expect even more inside...

• Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo

The Kölner Dom, magnificent Gothic tempel

by Pavlik_NL Written Sep 8, 2002

Entrancegates of the cathedral

Favorite thing: The Kölner Dom is already the main point in town and forgetting to make a visit to it is like not going to eat at dinner. The Dom is in the heart of the town and around it are many meetingplaces for the citizens as well as the visitors.

Fondest memory: Irina's first inside visit to a non-Orthodox church was in the Kölner-dom. Can you imagine how overwhelmed she was? We spend a few hours, just sitting in this magnificent building that miraculously survived the bombing-raits during WW-II. From the outside, the Dom is already a true work of art and inside this only is underlined.

• maykal's Profile Photo

Climb the Cathedral Tower

by maykal Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: For 3DM (half that if you have a student card) you can climb the cathedral tower and look at the bells. The main reason for this, obviously, is to look at the view from the top, although 552 steps is quite a climb, especially when it is crowded, the staircase is narrow and spiral, and for the first 300 there is only one route for ascending and descending, so there are plenty of 'traffic jams'. The viewing platform is a bit cramped (but I don't suppose it can be helped, really!) but the views are spectacular. (Sorry, I've forgotten to scan my photo of the view, so you'll have to imagine it for now!!!)

• maykal's Profile Photo

Cologne Cathedral

by maykal Written Aug 26, 2002

Cologne Cathedral

Favorite thing: If you arrive by train, the first thing you will see upon exiting the station is the famous Cologne Cathedral towering above you. All the guidebooks rave about its beauty, but I found it a bit of a let down to be honest....probably not what you wanted to hear. Yes, it is quite beautiful, and it certainly is large, but not as impressive as I was expecting it to be. Somehow, it managed to escape being bombed by the Allies during WWII, which is very odd, as the neighbourhood surrounding the cathedral is all fairly modern, having been totally destroyed. But you can't come to Cologne without entering the cathedral (in German 'Dom'), and as it is free to enter, you have no excuse, although I think it would be much more impressive without all the tour groups, and it is well on the way to becoming some sort of religious zoo.

• Octourist's Profile Photo

Visit The Church

by Octourist Written Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: Though I was groggy and feverish, I had to get out to see the beautiful and imposing church. The October air was crisp and the hint of rain in the air created an atmosphere ripe for exploring.

In the presence of the Church, however, I was in awe of all the detail and craft so finely packed together, like an expansive 3-D jigsaw puzzle. I didn't explore with much more than my eyes, and that was enough for a first visit. Amazing place!

• MBDVB's Profile Photo

When I was planning the trip,...

by MBDVB Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: When I was planning the trip, I saw pictures and read of the Cathedral, and decided I had to see it. When we were driving in from Amsterdam, you could see it from miles away! You won't be disappointed!

Fondest memory: Walking through the Cathedral and lighting candles for my family...

• When you visit Cologne you...

by travisr Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: When you visit Cologne you must visit the anciet gothic cathedral. It si definitely one of the most impressive structures i have ever seen. It's right next the Bahnhaf (train station.)

Fondest memory: Fondest memory is going into the cathedral and then paying 3 marks to go all the way up one of its two massive towers to catch a view of the entire city.

• Bigs's Profile Photo

Kölner Dom

by Bigs Updated Aug 24, 2002

These statues are now on the outside again

Favorite thing: Make sure you visit the Cathedral. Have a look at this fascinating dome, build over so many centuries. The beginning of the construction work lies in the year 1248, when the plans were formed to build a magnificent cathedral for the remaindings of the three kings, which have been in Cologne since 1164...

The cathedral like we see it today has been finished in 1842......Altogether it has been nearly 600 years to build up the several parts of this monument. Well there have been long breaks in between.....

It´s a wonderful church!

Fondest memory: I once climbed up the tower...but after I don´t know how many steps I had to cancel my walk. I fear heights and the last stairs have been a problem for me....so I was just able to have a look through some tiny windows....Must be lovely from the real top!!! But it´s a long way to go....!!! I have warned you!

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

Krystynn's General Tip

by Krystynn Written Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: This Cathedral is also famous for its impressive stained-glass windows. Pics just don't seem to do justice to the magnificent art work! So, I'd recommend that you go see it for yourself in person and marvel at the intricately designed stained glass windows. Awesome!

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

drop by and explore the...

by Krystynn Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: drop by and explore the awesome Cologne Cathedral.

Fondest memory: It was drizzling when we arrived at the main entrance to the Cathedral (see pic). Anyhow, it ALWAYS seem to drizzle in Spring in Europe and the temperature that afternoon had dropped to a chilly (I think) 5 degrees Celcius. Brrrr...

Needless to add, my teeth was chattering away. By then, a large crowd had also started to gather outside this massive landmark... perhaps to seek shelter from the drizzle too.

Instant Answers: Cologne