Related Cologne Favorites Tips

• Old Town/Altstadt

Most Viewed Favorites in Cologne

My third visit to Cologne

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jan 9, 2015

Fondest memory: For the third time we were with my elder son Pavel on the way to the United Kingdom by excursion bus with a group in May of 2004. We spent a night in Cologne and had a very interesting excursion with the guide. I refreshed my previous impressions and was glad that Pavel liked the city too.

You can watch my 2 min 38 sec Video Cologne walking around out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

Cologne Cologne Cologne Cologne Cologne

My second visit to Cologne

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jan 9, 2015

Fondest memory: When I was in Cologne for the first time I was sorry that my wife Irina didn’t see it. That’s why we took an advantage to visit Cologne in September of 2001 when the Main German shepherd show was in Dusseldorf and we came to Cologne with our dog Asslan v. Haus Schiran.
    Irina was also impressed by the Cathedral as well as Asslan, I think. WE had an excursion along the centre and saw the Hohenzollern Bridge, the Great Saint Martin Church, the Cologne City Hall, Eigelsteintor, Hahnentor, Severinstor, Overstolzenhaus. Unfortunately my video camera lost its charge and I haven’t any video about my second visit to Cologne. Here it is the video about my third visit three years later.

You can watch my 5 min 09 sec Video Cologne Cathedral out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

Cologne Cathedral Cologne Cathedral Cologne Cathedral Cologne Cathedral Cologne Cathedral

My first visit to Cologne

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jan 9, 2015

Fondest memory: I visited Cologne three times. For the first time it happened in August of 1995 when I was travelling around France by excursion bus with a group and was coming back home from there.
    I was very much impressed by the Cologne Cathedral and the Shrine of the Three Kings. I went upstairs and took a video of panoramic view the city.

panoramic view the city panoramic view the city panoramic view the city At the Cathedral The Bell of the Cathedral

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

My fondest memories of Cologne

by croisbeauty Updated Jun 6, 2013

Favorite thing: Every place we visit memorable is by something that is deeply etched in our memory. Some words autimatically invoke the memory of the city that we wisited, so the channel link with Venice, light with Paris, October with Munich,...etc. So far I've seen a lot of beautiful cathedrals, all over Europe, and Cologne Cathedral certainly belongs among the top three, but I will remember Cologne by something completely different.
    1. By the wonderful friends I've met through VT and live meeting with some of them, organized by Sabsi. Some of these friends I've met already before, in several ocassions (Sabsi, Horsecheck), the others I met for the first time. It was so good to meet them all and we spent a very pleasant evening in Cologne. I was very touched and very honored that so many people gathered on the ocassion of my visit to Cologne. Thank you guys, so much - SABSI, BIGS, TINY TUCK, HORSCHEK, SAPPONEN, RHINEROLL, DOCU2001!

Fondest memory: 2. I will remember Cologne for its nice breweries which are spread all over the old core of the town. Most of them looking great and each one is offering good times in a nice and relaxing atmosphere.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Cologne Flood Protection

by johngayton Written Sep 20, 2010

Favorite thing: As you wander along the west bank of the river you'll notice the blue-painted pipes leading into the water. You'll also come across the little tower pictured that I first mistook for a clock before I realised that it only has 10 "hours" to its day.

This is part of the local flood defences as the river here is prone to flooding. The thing that looks like a clock is in fact the Köln Pegel which measures the river's water level. The short hand indicates metres whilst the long hand centimetres in increments of 10.

The blue pipes are part of the pumping system which drain the rising water to an out of city flood plain. The last major flood was in 1995 when the water level reached over 10 metres and many of the old city buildings were inundated.

Der K��lner Pegel Water Pipes Across the park
    • Hiking and Walking

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Finding Your Way Around

by johngayton Written Sep 19, 2010

Favorite thing: Cologne is an excellent city for wandering. The old centre is pretty much given over to pedestrians and cyclists and both banks of the river have foot and cycle paths. You'll also find plenty of tourist-friendly signage and street maps at strategic locations.

So unless you have a few too many Kölsch's you should never get lost!

Tourist-friendly Signage Useful Map
    • Hiking and Walking

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

Deutz

by Kathrin_E Written Oct 4, 2009

Favorite thing: The suburb of Deutz, once a separate town, is situated on the opposite bank of the Rhine. Cologners call Deutz the “schäl Sick”, the “crooked side”, with an undertone of contempt. Deutz has always been a poor quarter, compared to the rich imperial city of Cologne.

Deutz has its own train station which is 2 minutes by S-Bahn from the central station – so if you have a train connection for example Frankfurt that only goes to Deutz, no worries.

Deutz is also the location of the fairgrounds where several big fairs take place, for example the Art Cologne. The fairground tower (Messeturm), built in 1927 and rebuilt after the war, is a landmark on the Deutz river bank.

Fondest memory: The promenade along the Deutz river bank offers the best panoramic view of cathedral and old town. From Dom and train station, cross the Rhine via Hohenzollernbrücke; there is a separate foot and bike lane along the train bridge.

Messe Tower from Hohenzollernbr��cke Hyatt hotel and Deutz river promenade War monument and skyscraper A little church in Deutz Panorama view from the Deutz side

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Cologne (Köln) Pub Guide

by BillNJ Updated May 28, 2008

Favorite thing: Here is the link to a very thorough guide to the pubs, beer halls, and beer gardens of Cologne. I don't claim any credit for the guide, but I am including it as a tip because it was helpful to me in planning my trip. Enjoy the Kölsch!

• Beer Tasting

• Rupanworld's Profile Photo

Ancient Roman City

by Rupanworld Written Jan 9, 2008

Favorite thing: Cologne is an ancient city dating back perhaps as early as 38 BC when the Roman Empire established a colony here and it came to be known as Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippensium in the year 50 AD, from which name the modern name of Cologne is derieved. It was a prosperous independent town with about 20,000 residents surrounded by 3.9 kilometer long city walls.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Edith Stein memorial

by yooperprof Written Aug 22, 2006

Favorite thing: Edith Stein, canonized by the Roman Catholic Church in 1998, was a German nun who was killed at Auschwitz. She was born into an Orthodox Jewish family, renounced her faith when she was a student of linguistic philosophy (under Husserl), and later converted to Catholicism. She entered a convent here in Cologne. But eventually her Jewish "racial" ancestry caused her to be deported by the Nazis.

The memorial, designed by Burt Gerresheim, represents three distinct periods in Stein's life.

remembering a holocaust victim

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Claes Oldenburg strikes again!

by yooperprof Written Aug 20, 2006

Favorite thing: Pop up ages well, I think, at least it does when it's executed by a master like Oldenburg. Here in Cologne he's dropped one of his trademark oversized objects - a large ice cream cone - on the corner entrance of the Neumarkt Galerie shopping center.

I scream for Pop Art!

• RudoElCojonudo's Profile Photo

SUMMERJAM: Camping

by RudoElCojonudo Written Aug 1, 2006

Favorite thing: The camping area is really crowded, so I would recomend to go there at least a pair of days before the festival starts, on wednesday.
    We arrived on thursday night and we had many dificulties to put our tent!!

• RudoElCojonudo's Profile Photo

SUMMERJAM: Toilets

by RudoElCojonudo Written Jul 24, 2006

Favorite thing: You have two options if you have to go to the toilet:
    1-. Chemical Toilets: There are located everywhere all around the lake. The problem is that they aren´t too clean. they could be OK for a pee, but not for anything else. :-$
    2-. Toilets: They are located in front of the place where the tickets are sold.
    They cost 0.50€ and they are claen. The only problem is that they are always crowded so GO WITH TIME ENOUGH, at least half an hour!!

The nasty chemical toilets.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Colonia - Cologne - Koeln

by croisbeauty Written Mar 8, 2006

Favorite thing: Cologne is one of the oldest towns in Germany, founded by Romans to marked the border between the Roman Empire and the lands of hostile Germanic tribes. The Romans named it Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensis, which later had been shortened to Colonia or Cologne. In 50 A.D., the Roman Empress Agrippina, a native of Cologne, raised the settlement status to that of Roman town.

Fondest memory: First that I have noticed in Cologne is great number of bell towers all over the town. Cologne has always been a major religious centre, therefore it was also called the Rome of the North. One can hardly get lost when strolling around because the high towers of the magnificent cathedral, aswell as the Grosse St. Martin, gives you an excellent orientation. Not many towns, I've visited so far, enables such an easy way of strolling around.

typical view of the old city core two emblems of Cologne Cologne on the River Rhine Alter Markt the kingdom of Kolsch beer

• Carino's Profile Photo

Lockers

by Carino Written Apr 2, 2005

Favorite thing: Mainstation of Cologne has a very modern locker system. You can put your luggage into one of the terminals, pay EUR 3 and pick it up at any terminal you want. The Luggage is stored in the basement and that's why it can be delivered to any terminal.

Cologne Hotels

Dom Hotel Koeln
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 9 Reviews
Ameron Hotel Collection

Instant Answers: Cologne

Comments

Cologne Favorites

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Cologne locals.
Map of Cologne