Cologne Nightlife

Papa Joe's Jazzlokal
    by croisbeauty
    the most popular brewery in Cologne
    Brauerei Pfaffen

Best Rated Nightlife in Cologne

Brrauhaus Sion: lots of different varieties of Kölsch

by richiecdisc Updated Jun 14, 2007

watching the K��lsch pouring up close at the bar

Brauhaus Sion is another typical Kölsch brewpub and very conveniently located in scenic part of the old town down by the river. Two things that make these places so great is you can go in and stand at the bar (unlike most places in Germany) and Kölsch comes in small glasses (only .20 liters) so you can try many of them in one day! Sion's version was one of the drier ones and it had a great loud atmosphere as its patrons obviously enjoyed the products of the brewery.

Dress Code: One of Cologne's more down to earth pubs so I felt fine in jeans.

Pfaffen: Was Päffgen but now its Pfaffen

by richiecdisc Updated Apr 4, 2011

my first time when it was P��ffgen

As you walk around town this building stands out with its bright orange facade and ornate wooden entrance. Even it were not a pub it would get my attention. But it was once Altstadt Päffgen, the brewery's oldest old town pub and was still the case on my 1999 visit. In 2001 the pub owner who's name if Pfaffen had a fight with the brewery and decided to open his own brewery and hence the name change. It seems more a restaurant now though there are some stand up barrels in the back and the Kölsch is still served from wooden kegs. I had been looking for the Päffgen so was a bit disappointed though it led me to discovering that brewery's great off the beaten location 20 minutes north of the old down center. Pfaffen's beer was certainly drinkable and the interior of the pub is well worth going in for one just to see it.

Dress Code: A homey pub and casual wear seems the norm.

Früh am Dom: The Früh Crew

by richiecdisc Written Jun 12, 2007

pumping out the K

Früh am Dom is not just a restaurant but a busy pub especially for the after work crowd. The place is huge so there's lots of different setting depending on your mood. The downstairs has a great stand up bar and they hoist the wooden barrels of beer in from the cellar via a pulley system. The beer may be small but the waiters are adept at getting you a fresh one as soon as you finish. I actually think you wind up drinking more this way!

Dress Code: Lots of suits again but we felt fine in jeans.

Any Old Town Pub: on the Kölsch hunt

by richiecdisc Updated Jun 14, 2007

another pub, another K��lsch

One thing even the non-beer tourist will notice about Cologne is it's preponderance of pubs. You can't walk more than 100 feet without going by one. There are also a lot of different varieties of Kölsch. In the late 1980s there were 20 breweries in Cologne, more than any city in the world but the number has now dwindled to 12 with many of the bigger ones taking over the smaller. There are still quite a few varieties of Kölsch to try and Reissdorf is one of the more ubiquitous. I found the beer quite fruity on my first trip and didn't get to see how the beer has changed on my recent stopover. Hey. there's only so much beer....er, I mean time in a day. ;)

Hard Rock Caffe: it's only a rock n' roll

by croisbeauty Written Oct 29, 2011

Hard Rock Caffe

Unfortunatelly I was here during a day only when strolling around, entering to take a juice. Have noticed mixed age attendants from juniors up to seniors of my age, but all lovers of real rock n' roll. The music was good, mostly oldies since it was early afternoon time. The ambient is nice, a kind which rock fans like alot. It is situated very close to the old core of the town but I didn't catch the name of the street.

The Corkonian Irish Pub: Kölsch, Irish-style

by BillNJ Written May 27, 2008

During my second night in Cologne, I enjoyed a nice chat with two young German women and an Irish bartender in The Corkonian Irish Pub in the Alter Markt. I ordered a Kölsch, and it was served in a large glass (not a traditional 200ml Kölsch Stange).

The Corkonian is a friendly Irish pub in a great location. Experience Kölsch, Irish-style.

Dress Code: No special dress requirements

Reissdorf-Stübchen: Small pub on Domstrasse

by BillNJ Updated May 30, 2008

On my first night in Cologne, I stopped for a Reissdorf Kölsch at the Reissdorf-Stübchen which was close to my hotel (Hotel Domstern) on Domstrasse. I sat at the bar in this small, local pub. Over a Kölsch, I had a disjointed conversation with a friendly German. Unfortunately, his grasp of English was not much better than my present grasp of German (which is minimal).

This small pub is a nice local spot, but it is not someplace to which I would go out of my way to find. Decent place to relax over a Kölsch if you are in the neighborhood.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Gaffel-Haus: a stand up pub

by richiecdisc Written Jun 12, 2007

D enjoying being out of the wet cold

This is a bustling old pub which although it has tables seems a place more appropriate to standing and having a beer. There generally seems to be a lot of people doing it. My first trip to Cologne found my friend and I smack dab in what seemed a mad happy hour albeit the price reduction. D and I found it a bit more quiet this time around and was also unhappy to see their beer now served from a regular draft tap rather than the traditional wood gravity ones most pubs still employ. The beer is till a hoppy dry one but now seems quite fizzy due to the dispense method.

Dress Code: It was full of suits the first time I was there but it was probably the after work crowd. This trip it was decidedly more casual.

Papa Joe's Jazzlokal: Live Jazz

by croisbeauty Updated Jun 3, 2013

Papa Joe's Jazzlokal

Papa Joe's is my favourite spot in whole of Cologne, it is the place where I've spend my two Colognese nights before going to sleep. The club is situated in Buttermarkt, which is a foot from my hotel. Unfortunately I couldn't take the picture inside the club, but trust the atmosphere is hot hot hot.
    What you'll find here is tons of beer and very good live classical jazz music performed by the local gropus. The place is overcrowded, the inside temperature must be over 30C degrees, you can't avoid elbow but who cares about. The inside atmosphere is extremely friendly, totally relaxed and everobody is enjoying being a part of an happy crowd. Do not miss it when in Cologne.

Dress Code: No dress code!

Pfaffen Brauerei Max Päffgen: Final stop of May 24, 2008 VT Meeting

by BillNJ Written May 27, 2008

The final stop of the May 24, 2008 VT meeting in Cologne was the Pfaffen Brauerei Max Päffgen. Our group sat outside and enjoyed good conversation over some Pfaffen Kölsch. To celebrate my last night in Germany, I also had a shot of Jägermeister.

Dress Code: No special dress requirements

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Millions of breweries: "Be Roman in Rome"

by croisbeauty Updated Oct 6, 2006

Brauerei Pfaffen

Brewery is of course the most popular nightlife spot in Cologne. There are great number of breweries all over the old core of the town and yet, it is almost impossible to get the free table on Fridays or Saturdays evenings. In those most popular you have to book it in advance.
    Besides all kind of beers, domestic and imported, here you can have very good and inexpensive food. This are, of course, traditional beer dishes simple to make, very tasty and abundant in portions.

• ALTER MARKT: ...just stroll around there!

by Annalisa-Lucia Updated Feb 23, 2004

Around Cologne's "Alter Markt" there are lots of breweries and bars. Take a train to Cologne's main station and go by foot 10 or 15 minutes and you will arrive at the "Alter Markt" and you can go from bar to bar and meet a lot of interesting people and enjoy fresh beer - KOELSCH - as long as you want to!

Dress Code: just as you want to

• FRUEH: The most important Brewery

by Annalisa-Lucia Updated Feb 23, 2004

Cologne's most famous brewery with the typical Cologne spirit! You can eat and drink there very good - if you find a place. At the weekend it's so overcrowded, that you can only find a place for standing - if you're lucky! But it doesn't matter, because you don't have to order your drinks...the "Koebesse" are running around through the rooms all the time and they have many glasses in their hands. You can take one and pay immediately and then - enjoy it! Cheers!

Dress Code: Casual

• LizD's Profile Photo

Papa Joes: Musical entertainment

by LizD Updated Aug 31, 2004

Papa Joes mechanical band

We called in Papa Joes for a couple of beers as we could hear some lively music coming from inside.

As we went inside we realised the tunes were coming from two mechanical musicians playing behind the bar what appeared to be an accordian and tuba.

It gave the place plenty of atmosphere, worth a visit if you’re passing.

They also served food but we didn't try any while we were there.

Sorry the photo isn’t very good but it was very dark inside.

• Music

Rhein-Hotel St. Martin: Pre-dinner Kölsch stop for May 24, 2008 VT Meeting

by BillNJ Written May 27, 2008

Before dinner at Peters Brauhaus, our group met over Kölsch under an umbrella at the Rhein-Hotel St. Martin. The umbrella came in handy as it rained on and off during our stay. Our waiter was a young kid who tried to be funny, but really wasn't. Nevertheless, our VT group had a great time drinking Kölsch by the Rhine River.

Instant Answers: Cologne

Comments

Cologne Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Cologne nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cologne sightseeing.

Cologne Members Meetings