Cologne Restaurants

• Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Cologne

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Columbus: better be hungry then eat here

Restaurant Columbus

Columbus is another Spanish restaurant where I had lunch, it is also situated in the Altstadt. I was attracted by its look from outside and the nice terrace in the inneryard, but made mistake because it was my biggest disappointing. I can't imagine how can survive such an restaurant situated in a very attractive area but offering so low quality of food........

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Toro Negro: not bad but not good either

Toro Negro

Toro Negro is Spanish restaurant located in the Altstadt of Cologne. I was a bit disappointed with the ambient inside the restaurant but it has pretty attractive patio. I went for a lunch here with idea to take some light food.

Favorite Dish: The weiter suggested grilled lamb chops telling that the lamb is originated from Basque in Spain, which was promising recommendation. I ordered potatoes too but had to pay it extra, which I found very strange. To be honest, this lamb was very far from the quality of lamb we have in my country Croatia. The meat was tough and almost tasteless.
    I was suggested to take "Rioja" red wine, also originated from Basque, which I never tested before. Can't say wheter it was because of bad meat but I didn't feel this wine at all.
    The only good thing about this restaurant was a service. I found 25 euros for a price far too much for what I got.

Poncho's: Argentinian big steaks

Poncho's

It seems that I was very lucky to be alone otherwise wouldn't be able to get my lunch because Poncho's was fully housed. The weiter told me its hard to get free place on weekends if not booked in advance. Ponco's is typical Argentinian steakhouse all in wood and cow hides. It is situated under the ground level in a sort of cave, which gave it extra charming atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: I find this place by chance when was strolling around and since it was a dinner time I went downstairs intentionally to get a big portion of famous Chorizo beef. The restaurant was overcrowded by hubgry people and I had to wait around 45 minutes to get my dinner.
    Can you imagine a 300 gr. of soft Argentinian meat barbecued in front of your eyes! It was delisious, soft and very tasty. The weiter suggested Poncho's salad which was good but very chilly. In case you take one beer usually after this salad you will have to order one or two extra beers.
    The service was good and friendly, kind of easy going and I did like it. I paid 30 euros which is very resonable price for such a well made food.

Slavia: Very good Croatian restaurant

by croisbeauty Updated Jun 5, 2013

Restaurant Slavia

Actualy I've noticed this restaurant as soon as I get to my hotel, (because it is next door), but was littlebit suspicious for the name.There are many restaurants in Germany, held by people from ex-Yugoslavia, but in some of them Croats are not welcome if held by Serbs and vice versa. It is not something that started in 1991, I still remember unpleasant exeprience I had in "Balkan" restaurant in Frankfurt, back in 1980.
    Anyhow, after long morning strolling around the city I was pretty much hungry and have decided to take my chance. In some way I am always able to recognize my compatriots if meeting them abroad, therefore I addressed to the weiter in Croatian, which he understood perfectly.

Favorite Dish: Beans broth with smoked-ham or chilly sausage is traditional Croatian dish which I like very much. If made in a proper way, it proofs the good quality ot the specific restaurant and one certainly wouldn't be disappointed with other dishes. I had also two medium beers and coffee and all cost me less then 15,00 Euros. Oh yes, the beans broth was very tasty.

Kunibert der Fiese: Zero points on my list

by croisbeauty Updated Jun 5, 2013

Kunibert der Fiese

Due to a bad weather conditions in Cologne, I've broke my rules and first evening had diner in the hotel restaurant. Besides, the guy told me the restaurant offers good Italian cuisine. Btw, the weiter was Italian and I've followed his advice but then he went off before I've finished my dinner. The next day, after my lamentation, he was smaller then the mouse.

Favorite Dish: It was 10:00PM when I entered in the empty restaurant (see the picture), and that should be always a good sign for alert. On the other hand, it was snowing outside and I wasn't in mooth to get out.
    Anyhow, I ordered grilled medallions with moushrooms and potatoes. The meat was as hard as the sole of my shoe. Something bad as that I haven't eat for ages. Oh yes, I paid 23,00 Euros!

• bpwarne's Profile Photo

Papa Joe's Biersalon - Klimperkasten: German Food , Bier and Music!

by bpwarne Updated Nov 2, 2012

Malzer-Teller and Gaffel kolsch bier

Nice cozy feel to this restaurant. Although it has a Jazz theme and plays live jazz music, the food is mostly German. Quite a few different beers on tap.Inside and outside dining on market square.

Favorite Dish: Try the Malzer-Teller, Fresh curly kale, cologne style, mixed with potatoes and a German salami sausage. I found it to be excellent. Wash it down with a Gaffel Kölsch, a local beer brewed in Cologne. It is a clear beer with a bright, straw-yellow hue, and a prominent hoppiness, less bitter than most German pale lagers.

• Architecture

• ricky52's Profile Photo

Zeitcafe: At the Dom

by ricky52 Written Oct 9, 2012

This is where we started and finished our days in Cologne.
    We come here in the morning and a cup of coffee, do our stuff and at the end of the day, come back here, have a beer or two and then take some fresh coffee back to the hotel.
    They do small snacks as well as the beer and other warm drinks.

• mirchica's Profile Photo

Riese: The French pastry shop and restaurant

by mirchica Updated Jul 6, 2012

When I saw it from outside - the shop window and the amazing cakes I just couldn't resist to enter and try at least one cake. Of course I wanted to try from everything but there was no space in my stomach anymore. They also offered ice cream, some salty cakes, salads and other restaurant dishes.

• Luxury Travel

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Ristorante Central: Huge portions of Italian food

by garridogal Updated May 16, 2012

Come on in!

Once again, we walked by and it looked lively so we walked in! Ristorante Central has a neighborhood feel, like most of it's patrons live nearby or are regulars. We sat at a table up front by the windows but when I went downstairs to use the loo I noticed that it has a big back room with lots of additional tables.

Favorite Dish: I had cannelloni stuffed with spinach and cheese and Bryan had the lasagna. Both were served in piping hot ceramic dishes and were huge in portion size. I'll be honest and say that it wasn't the best Italian food I've ever had. (My mother's half Italian and living in the Northeast US, we don't have any shortage of this kind of food.) But, it was really tasty and satisfying.

• Business Travel
    • Trains

• blytonsquirrel's Profile Photo

Pastabar: Excellent Pasta

by blytonsquirrel Written Dec 7, 2011

A little, cosy restaurant which was recommended to us by the hotel. A very warm atmosphere, rustic chic, lots of pictures on the wall, wine bottles everywhere, nice music, feels like being in Italy. The waitress was super nice and explained everything that was on the menu. They have pasta in all variations: vegetarian, with seafruit, with meat and some antipasti misti. The selection of wine is also great with moderate prices considering the quality. It was a really beautiful evening!
    There are only about ten tables, so maybe it is better to get a reservation on weekends.

Favorite Dish: Rotelle with rosemary-oil, pinenuts, grapes and goat-cheese. It's "just" pasta, but super tasty and not to heavy...then I had the tiramisu for dessert...which was also great!

• Wine Tasting

• MM212's Profile Photo

Früh: Traditional German cuisine

by MM212 Written Nov 24, 2011

Fr��h, Nov 2011

Located in the old city, around the corner from the Cathedral, Früh is the perfect place to experience traditional German atmosphere, beer, and cuisine, particularly from the region around Cologne. The place has been around for over a century, and looks like a tavern. It is also a brewery that serves the local beer, Früh. Naturally, the place is popular among tourists, but this did not seem to diminish its authenticity.

• Beer Tasting

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Hauxenhaus zum Rheingarten: Good Beers Near the Rhine

by TooTallFinn24 Written Oct 10, 2011

Haxenhaus is a restaurant that looks right out onto the Rhine. The term "haxen," means knuckles and there are many knuckle entrees on the menu. However the menu has far more offerings. We did not have dinner there but instead just a beer. The place has great ambiance and I understand that on the weekends there is dancing and overall great merriment. Prices are a little steep compared to other places and I think the place generally caters to tourists. However the restuarant's interior is worthy seeing.

Favorite Dish: The place is famous for knuckle dishes but I had only beer.

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Tommy's Submarine Sandwiches: Quick and Tasty Sandwich Lunch

by TooTallFinn24 Written Oct 10, 2011

Ok I know most of you don't think of submarine sandwiches when you think of Koln however this place is tasty and hit the spot. Located conveniently for walkers in downtown Koln, Tommy's has great sausage, turkey and Italian sandwiches. All of the sandwiches come with cheese and other condiments. What is particularly tasty is their fresh bread. Nice atmosphere also for a sandwich shop with reasonable prices.

Favorite Dish: Sausage and Italian sandwiches

• dutchboycalledjan's Profile Photo

Guten Abend: Bio Restaurant

by dutchboycalledjan Written Sep 29, 2011

This Gasthaus at the Brüsseler Platz serves very good food and drinks in a friendly atmosphere. The vast terrace was completely full, but you are invited to join a few empty chairs at a table.

Favorite Dish: I had the Ossobuco - off course - with risotto. My wife had a very good salad with chicken. Also very fine beers and (biological) wines.

• Eco-Tourism

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Farmers: Another steak dinner

by gordonilla Written Jun 12, 2011

Exterior by Night

This is one of a chain of different restaurants, it was a pleasant experience. The staff were attentive - and although it was busy, the two waitresses managed to keep everyone happy then clear up too.

Favorite Dish: steak of course!

Instant Answers: Cologne

Comments

Cologne Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Cologne restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cologne sightseeing.