Cologne Restaurants

• Restaurants
    Kunibert der Fiese

Most Recent Restaurants in Cologne

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Maredo: A chain of restaurants, but they are good

by gordonilla Written Jun 12, 2011

Exterior by Night

This was one of 4 Maredo in the city - we had a short wlak from the hotel and decided to eat at this specific branch.

The restaurant is open everyday, from 11.30 through to 23.30.

Favorite Dish: peppered steak and salad

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo

Brauhaus Em Kölsche Boor: A typical Brewery

by Cristian_Uluru Updated Apr 4, 2011

Brauhaus Em K��lsche Boor

Brauhaus Em Kölsche Boor is one of the oldest brewing houses in Cologne and it is located in front the medieval Eigelsteintor. Here you can experience the delicious Gaffel beer which was made by the farmers during the Middle Ages to refresh the pilgrims that stopped in town. The Gaffel Kolsch is a typical kölschen specialities: it is served on two liters trays, formed by ten glasses of 0.2 liters each one.
    In this Brauhaus you can also taste delicious regional and German speciality in a fantastic atmosphere!!!

Favorite Dish: I had a fantastic dinner in Brauhaus Em Kölsche Boor: as starter I can suggest to try the good tomato soup; as main dish I can suggest Rumpsteak (Beef steak) served with French chips, sauerkrauts butter and salad. If you want to try a Cologne's dish you must taste Rheinischer Sauerbraten (Rhenish roasted pickled beef): beef covered with a red souce with almonds, sauerkrauts redheads, cake of vegetables and salad.
    As drink you MUST drink the local good beer Gaffel Kolsch

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Australian Homemade: All natural ice cream with great service!

by BillNJ Updated Apr 4, 2011

Generally, the ice cream in Europe is great. Australian Homemade takes it up a notch by offering great tasting ice cream that is also made with all natural ingredients. The ice cream and sorbets are made right on the premises with a high percentage of fresh fruit. I had a cone with strawberry ice cream -- and it was delicious! Also, the young man who served me was very friendly and professional. Two thumbs up for Australian Homemade!

Favorite Dish: Strawberry Ice Cream

• holtmann's hohenzollern: at last something different!

by helenethered Updated Apr 4, 2011

in the mood for a real dining experience? get a table at holtmann s hohenzollern and order a "trio". three dishes you pick out of a well balanced menu, in conveniently smaller portions. discover the combination of quality products and high class flavours. the tone here is fusion:a mixture of european, asian and worldwide influences.Really worth the evening, it will awaken your tastebuds!
    dont miss out on the beef tartar with sesame, the ostricht with lotusroot or the tuna in herb crust!!
    the dessert can be one of the three dishes picked or come as extra;also unusual and delicious!
    a large selection of wines, all available y the glass and perfectly efficient and pleasant staff make the it just perfect! not to mention the very attractive price range: 25 euros for the trio!!
    the atmosphere is sober but relaxed, go try it!

Favorite Dish: every dish i tried has not only a very good presentation, perfect quality and delicious taste, its also made in a way that made me think "aah, i d never have thought of that!" very good feeling if you like good food and creativity in your plate...

• Wine Tasting

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Cafe Extrablatt: Lunch by a construction pit!

by garridogal Updated Apr 4, 2011

So here we were, walking around Cologne and hungry for lunch when we came upon a sunny plaza with many restaurants with many tables outside. Sure, we saw the construction going on - how could we miss it? But we sat anyway and ordered lunch.

Sure, the noise wasn't too horrific and it's certainly not like we were the only ones sitting out there. But about halfway through our meal when the noise of the jackhammers, etc. got louder, we wondered why exactly we had chosen that spot! Oh well! Still, the sun was brilliant and it was warm and we were happy to be on vacation.

I guess Extrablatt is a franchise restaurant, kind of like a TGIF's. It's certainly evident in the menu layout and choices. Still, not a bad spot for a meal!

Favorite Dish: We split a pizza that had mushrooms and prosciutto and a Greek salad. The pizza crust was a little too limp for my tastes but it tasted fine. The salad was yummy and the rather large wheat beer we each drank had a calming effect.... Almost drowned out the construction noise!

• Business Travel
    • Trains

• AnnS's Profile Photo

Cafe Extrablatt: Cafe With A Lovely Atmosphere

by AnnS Updated Apr 4, 2011

Cafe Extrablatt in December

I visit this cafe every time I'm in Cologne because I love everything about it. When the weather's nice you can sit outside and watch the world go by and when it's not, the interior is warm, welcoming and comfortable. The staff are friendly and efficient, the food and drink is delicious and the prices extremely reasonable.

The menu has something for all times of the day - breakfasts, ice-creams, snacks, full meals and a wide selection of drinks and cocktails.

There is good music always playing and when I was last there, a screen was dropped from the balcony and the night's football game projected onto it but none of this is too overpowering for those wanting to chat with friends.

I particularly like it at Christmas when much care is obviously taken with the decorations. It makes a lovely snug atmosphere in which to have a rest from shopping and it is situated right in the middle of the Altstadt Christmas Market.

Favorite Dish: Calamari with a sour cream or garlic dip, accompanied by little baked bread rolls.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Sansone Due: Good Italian Food in the Center

by yooperprof Updated Apr 4, 2011

Italiana in the Rhineland

I was hungry from a day of strolling through Colgone, and when I saw this trattoria decided that Italian food was just what I needed. There was just something about this place which suggested that it would have better-than-average food - and my instincts (this time) were right. (I have a personal honing device that usually allows to me to discover good Italian restaurants whereever I go.) They have all your favorite pasta dishes here, but what I ordered - and was very impressed with - was one of the fish plates. Nice antipasta as well.

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Frueh: When in Rome...

by christine.j Updated Apr 4, 2011

Prost

When in Rome act like the Romans and when in Cologne, drink a Kölsch, the local beer.Although I'm not a beer drinker usually - I prefer wine - I liked the beer here. The brewerey house Frueh is touristy, but why not? After all we were tourists. And the beer is good.
    Unlike in other places, you don't have to tell the waiters when you want another beer, you get this automatically as soon as your glass is almost empty. You have to tell them when you don't want another beer.

• FrostyJW's Profile Photo

Good beer and food: Fruh

by FrostyJW Updated Apr 4, 2011

Fruh  Am Hof

This famous and very popular brew house is worth a visit. The Brewery Cellar downstairs is the best place to eat and drink, and has hundreds of tables in all sorts of places. It can be VERY busy in the evening, but service still good and efficient. The food we had was very good, and though maybe a little more costly than some less famous places but was still good value and good. The beer is excellent, light, fresh, crisp and slightly more bitter than some other Kolsch beers.

Favorite Dish: I had Pork Medallions with fresh vegetables and fried potatoes, and my partner had pork pieces in vegetables on a metal skillet, also with fried potatoes and both were very good.

• stiab3's Profile Photo

Mai Thai: Thai food in Cologne

by stiab3 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I wouldn't normally visit a Thail restaurant when on holiday (would normally go for local cuisine) but it was my birthday and I thought I'd treat myself.

Mai Thai turned out to be a great traditional thai restaurant with the usual friendly service.

Favorite Dish: Mixed starter which consisted of a variety of things -: spring rolls, satays, battered prawns etc.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Alt Koeln am Dom: Alt Koeln am Dom

by bonio Updated Apr 4, 2011

just outside!

Very close to the Dom and the main station and also the hotel we were staying at. We visited at 9pm long after the tourist crowds had gone home and mingled with the locals. Food was tasty and well priced and the Gilden koelsch went down very well. The building is huge inside!

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo

Osho's Place: Vegetarian

by Pijlmans Updated Mar 1, 2011

Osho's Place

VT member Ettiewyn recommended this restaurant to us, because my girlfriend is a vegetarian.

We had a hot lunch here, which was not too bad for vegetarian food (my opinion). My girlfriend liked it a lot.

For almost 8 euros the lunch is maybe a bit pricey, considering it is without meat and drinks are not included...

See the website for more info and the menu.

Hauptbahnhof Takeaways: If Your Hotel Doesn't Serve Breakfast

by johngayton Written Sep 20, 2010

Hbf Cafe and Takeaway

If you are staying somewhere close to the main railway station and want a nibble on the hoof, either for breakfast, light lunch or just a snack, then check out the main station hall. Here there's a clutch of friendly fast food places all competing against each other with burgers, freshly-made sandwiches, pastries, pizza and of course sausage all on offer.

Because there's so many of them they all usually have some sort of deal going, such as take-away coffee for one Euro with any sandwich, and prices are overall very reasonable.

Grab your snack and go and sit on the Cathedral steps to enjoy it.

Favorite Dish: Of course for me it was sausage again - from the place pictured (the one on the left) - this time a substantial seeded roll, well-filled with salami and salad. But too early for beer and so the one Euro coffee was ideal. I think the sandwich was about 2.50 Euro.

• Trains

Gilden im Zims: Yet More Sausage And Beer

by johngayton Written Sep 19, 2010

The Wurstsalat (and beer)

Gilden im Zims is one of Cologne's typical beerhouses. Although it no longer brews on the premises it still has its house beer brewed in the Kölsch style and serves it in the traditional 20 cl cylindrical glasses, known as a "stange" (pole).

Tradition aside though I found this bar a tad characterless although service was efficient and the terrace was quite buzzy.

Favorite Dish: I just had a simple Wurstsalat and it wasn't the worst salad I ever eaten (HeHe!) but certainly not the best. The sausage had been cut into strips and tossed through with gerkins and sweet peppers. This was then topped with red onion and served with a few leaves for garnish. The accompanying rye bread was good tho and the beer perfectly drinkable.

A bit expensive at almost 9 Euros.

• Luxury Travel

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Restaurant and Hotel Löwenbräu: Best Sausages In Town?

by johngayton Updated Sep 19, 2010

Distinctive Frontage

I've always been a great fan of Löwenbräu beer and so when I noticed the distinctive colours and signage of this place I definitely had to stop for a beer (even if it is a Munich brew). The beer was excellent, just the right temperature - not chilled like most Continental beers but rather served at cool cellar temperature. The sun was out, the terrace on the Altstadt, overlooking the river, had a pleasant, not-too-touristy buzz and the service was swift and friendly.

So one beer became two and of course you can't have beer here in Cologne without accompanying it with some sort of sausage.

Favorite Dish: This was where the Löwenbräu came into its own. The menu is half-Italian, half-German and offers pretty much something for everyone. What caught my eye was the page devoted to "BÜRGERLICHE KÜCHE" - plain cooking - with its sausages and other variations on bits of pig.

I actually ended up eating here twice and both times opted for one of the sausage dishes.

On my first visit I went for the "Nürnberger Rostbratwürstchen, mit Sauerkraut und Püree" which was a plate of meaty little finger-size pork sausages on a bed of melt-in-mouth feremented cabbage, accompanied by a good dollop of buttery mashed potato. A little drizzle of fried onion topped the plate perfectly.

On my second visit it was the "Bayrische Weißwurst, mit warmen Kartoffelsalat" which partnered my beers. This was a pair of ghostly-white plump beasts which arrived in a bowl still in their poaching liquor and was accompanied by warm salad of sliced potatoes tossed through with a little bacon and a subtly sour dressing. The salty crisp pretzel added a little crunch. I wasn't sure what to do with the liquor in the bowl though and seeing as I didn't get a spoon I reckoned it wasn't intended as soup - HA!

Both meals came with a little basket of chewy bread rolls and so on both occcasions I'd managed my ideal balanced diet ;))

Each of the sausage dishes was the same price and so on both visits my bill came to 17.50 Euros which for a filling dinner, along with a couple of large beers was excellent value for money.

As a little extra note: Although I ate on the terrace the bar is well worth a peek into with its wainscotted walls covered in antique artworks, postcards and pub-style paraphernalia - see pic #4

Instant Answers: Cologne

Comments

Cologne Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Cologne restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cologne sightseeing.

Cologne Members Meetings