Cologne Restaurants

Kunibert der Fiese

Most Recent Restaurants in Cologne

Peters Brauhaus: Overrated tourist trap with uninspired service

by BillNJ Updated May 30, 2008

After reading good reviews of Peters Brauhaus on the internet, I suggested to Sabs that we have our VT meeting here on Saturday, May 24, 2008. While the VT meeting itself was great because of the company and conversation, this restaurant was somewhat disappointing. The service was slow and uninspired. Also, I thought that the food was average and bland -- and that the Peters Kölsch was not as good as many of the other Kölsch varieties in the city.

The best thing about this restaurant is its location -- in an alleyway just off the Alter Markt. With all of the other great dining options in Cologne, though, I recommend that you look elsewhere.

Favorite Dish: Appetizer: Liverwurst and a hard roll

Dinner: Schweinehaxe with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes

Drink: Peters Kölsch

Brauhaus Em Kölsche Boor: Traditional Kölsch beer house with good food

by BillNJ Updated May 30, 2008

Upon the recommendation of a staff member at my hotel (Hotel Domstern), I ate dinner at the Brauhaus Em Kölsche Boor on my first night in Cologne. It is one of Cologne's oldest beer houses, and it is located on Eiglestein Strasse in the Altstadt-Nord section. It was only a short walk from my hotel.

I sat at the bar, and I first ordered a Gaffel Kölsch. Then, for dinner, I ordered some Jagerschnitzel that was served with a salad and fries.

For dessert, I had apple strudel with vanilla ice cream. Delicious!

This restaurant delivers a great, authentic Kölsch experience with food, drink, and service that generally exceeds the busier tourist traps near the Cathedral. The food portions are large, and the Gaffel Kölsch is great. Highly recommended!

Favorite Dish: Gaffel Kölsch - one of my favorite varieties

Meister Bock: Try some mettwurst at the Hauptbahnhof

by BillNJ Updated May 27, 2008

Inside the Cologne Hauptbahnhof, there is a small eatery named Meister Bock that serves different types of wurst. One evening, I tried a mettwurst. It is not a sit-down restaurant; instead, it is a fast food place where you can eat standing up at the counter or take your food to go. While in Germany, try different types of wurst.

Favorite Dish: Mettwurst

Olaf's Imbiss: Try some currywurst

by BillNJ Updated May 27, 2008

I had my first experience with currywurst at Olaf's Imbiss. It is not a sit-down restaurant; rather, it is a small fast food place where you can eat at the counter or take your food to go. For a reasonable price, stop in and enjoy some great currywurst or bratwurst.

Favorite Dish: Currywurst and a roll

• Trains

Schmittchen: Small, rustic Kölsch pub

by BillNJ Updated May 27, 2008

After wandering around the city for a couple of hours, I decided that it was time to try my first Kölsch. Unlike most tourists, my first Kölsch was not at one of the large beer houses near the Cathedral. Instead, it was at Schmittchen - a small, rustic Kölsch pub in the Breite Strasse pedestrian zone.

Schmittchen serves Gaffel Kölsch -- one of the finest varieties. In addition to Kölsch, I ordered another local Cologne specialty, Halve Hahn. While Halve Hahn literally means "half a rooster", the name is a misnomer. There is no poultry involved. Instead, in Cologne, Halve Hahn is a starter dish consisting of a rye roll and thick slices of cheese. At Schmittchen, they also serve it with butter and mustard on the side.

Favorite Dish: Kölsch and Halve Hahn

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo

Peters Brauhaus: Another Brewery Pub with more cons than pros

by RhineRoll Updated May 25, 2008

One of our recent Cologne VTmeetings took us to Peters Brewery house. Despite the food being edible, Peters is another element in a long row of Brewery house visits failing to convince me they are a good place to have dinner. On the positive side, the interior was nice and there was a handicap toilet, even though it was doubling up as the staff attendance room in need of clearance (and cleanup) when I wanted to use it. The food was ok but did not make it out of the mediocricy category. Service yet again was slow, grumpy and unattentive. You might argue that this is the way it's supposed to be in a real Kölsch Brewery house... maybe so, but I just don't like it that way -- tradition is nice, but bad traditions should be discontinued instead of perpetuated. Neither did I like the terrible air quality in some of the interior rooms. Operating a smoking ban would help a lot.

Menu with English language subtitles. Also good for Germans who are not familiar with the local dialect dish names. Ah yes, I almost forgot. Their Kölsch was one of the most sluggish ones I've ever tasted. Not recommended for tasting.

• Disabilities

• danmcf's Profile Photo

Zur alten Zollgrenze: Enjoyed our meal

by danmcf Written May 11, 2008

the 'Zur alten Zollgrenze'

We more or less stumbled onto this place simply because the park & ride garage at the Zoo was full. We didn't have the emissions sticker needed to drive in the center so we had to find a spot to park out of the 'protected zone'.
    We ended up parking on a street where the 'Subway' surfaces for its run to the suburbs. This ended up being rather convenient because the parking was free & it was easy to find the 'Subway' stop (since it wasn't a subway here).
    We didn't eat much at the Hard Rock Cafe, specifically so we could sample something traditionally German later. We did eat enough that we weren't all that hungry after doing our sightseeing in the center.
    We waited until returning to our car before deciding on trying for that traditional meal, and the 'Zur alten Zollgrenze' was conveniently between our 'subway' stop and the car.

They had a nice outside terrace where we sat and easily ordered a couple Früh Kölsch beers. It was when we tried ordering some food that the language barrier became evident. Eventually, our server got the boss/cook out to chat with us. We explained that we just wanted a traditional dish in which to end our brief visit to Germany.

Favorite Dish: Not sure what their specialties were. I couldn't even decipher their daily menu displayed on a chalk board. After chatting with the boss/cook, the server brought us what appeared to be...

"Eisbein mit Sauerkraut", which is a very fat pork knuckle, cooked, and served with sauerkraut.
    This was actually very good. The pork fat melted in your mouth and the meat was extremely tender and juicy.

All in all it was a great ending to our day in Cologne.

• Guten Abend: Organic German Food

by sabsi Written Feb 17, 2008

We came here for a small VT meeting in 2007, a recommendation by Richard (docu2001). Before we entered we made jokes about organic food and nobody of us could imagine us really having an organic dinner. How wrong we were! The food was very tasty, so were the wines. I remember that the restaurant looked more like an old fashioned brewery type of place than like a modern restaurant. Everything else is blurred because I laughed so much that evening...

Favorite Dish: I had an organic Wiener Schnitzel with potato salad. It was huge and gorgeous! And the pig lived a happy life before it ended on my plate ;)

• Restaurant Kabul: Small and Exotic

by sabsi Updated Feb 17, 2008

We came to this Afghan restaurant for Valentine's Day 2008 and loved it. The food was great. Atmosphere was very exotic (and I enjoyed it despite my "sitar allergy" ;) and the service was (maybe even a bit too) friendly!

The restaurant is rather small so when it's busy you can hear what all people sitting at the other tables are talking or ordering. So if you have secrets to tell it's not your place. If not, it's a great experience!

Favorite Dish: I had fried potato mash for starter (Shami) which was followed by Mantu, kind of "Afghan Tortelloni", filled dough with minced meat, tomato sauce and joghurt. It was very tasty and filling. Thomas had the "Kabuli", which is the favourite food of the waiter as well. He kept telling this to every customer who ordered it. It was lamb with brown rice (very tasty) and raisins.

If you go would you please order the "Sabsi" for me please? They have this dish on the menu and I can't order it because I don't like spinach and sheep cheese.

• littlebush's Profile Photo

Brauhaus: Massive food portions

by littlebush Written Feb 6, 2008

the brauhaus is a pub/restaurant in the centre, they brew their own beer, its a huge place!!
    the portions of food are massive, with a 2kg knuckle of pork or a 1 metre long sausage! crazy.
    good atmosphere and busy.

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

Merzenich: Wonderful snacks & cakes

by colin_bramso Written Oct 24, 2007

Enjoy coffee and cakes

I love bakeries and this is a wonderful example with a huge mouthwatering display of breads, cakes, biscuits, sandwiches, rolls and so on.

Modern, spotlessly clean, freshly baked goodies with small tables to stand at inside to enjoy a very good coffee and your selection from the display.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Haus Schultz - Beim Kölsche Jung: Another good one.

by bonio Written Oct 20, 2007

A meal before a nearby Waterboys gig, found this bar by accident close to Barbarossaplatz Ubahn stop. Friendly and comfortable with a good selection of tasty food on offer, Reissdorf Kölsch too. Enjoyed our visit here

• yumyum's Profile Photo

McCafé

by yumyum Updated Jul 28, 2007

Vanilla/chocolate shake

I only came here because it started raining and my umbrella was in the locker in the railway station. This McCafé is wheelchair accessible but not to the toilets which are located upstairs in the McDonalds restaurant.

I had a small Vanilla/Chocolate shake at 3 Euro. Other than that they serve a variety of coffees and muffins, a soup of the day and a few pastries. It's a self-service place. The small tables near the entrance are good for people watching.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Päffgen: well worth the walk

by richiecdisc Written Jun 12, 2007

was it real or was it Memorex?

You hope to find one of these on every trip but it's not always the case. This was not mere luck but sheer perseverance. Mine for pushing, and my lovely wife's for putting up with me. Four days of endless beer hunting in Belgium right before this short Cologne trip would have been enough to bring about a divorce for most couples but she knows I find my share of gems and this is one of them. It was late. By any account, we should have already been on our way to meet VTer Sabsi in Düsseldorf for our farewell night before heading back to the US. But I wanted to check this out of the center pub out too badly to give up.

It is truly is like walking back in time once you walk through the door. It's why I look so hard and put up with such utter disappointment sometimes; to find a place like this. Wood, yes, paintings, yes, people talking loudly, yes, beers brought without asking, yes. Black & White, it feels like it.

Favorite Dish: Beers are brought without asking. What else would you drink, right? We'd already eaten twice but were glad we still had room for a snack of raw pork spread on local bread. It went perfectly with the city's tastiest Kölsch. Dry and fruity, just like a Kölsch should be. Forever when I think of going back to Cologne, I will think of being in this pub. I just hope it doesn't change one bit.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Malzmühle: Heaven & Earth

by richiecdisc Written Jun 12, 2007

Heaven & Earth

This is yet another great old pub with lots of dark wood and a great dose of local atmosphere to boot. It's a lot less touristy though evidently Bill Clinton made it here!

Favorite Dish: We again opted for some soup and tried the local dish Himmel und Ad (Heaven & Earth). It consisted of fried blood sausage, deep fried onions, mashed potatoes, and apple sauce. It sounds disgusting perhaps but was actually quite tasty. It was rich so we were glad we were splitting it. It's great mixture that anyone that is not adverse to trying different things should try. The Malzmühle Kölsch is unfortunately one of the more bland, quite malty and a bit too sweet for my tastes. The bill was around 15 Euros.

Instant Answers: Cologne

Comments

Cologne Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Cologne restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cologne sightseeing.