Cologne Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Cologne

• simonli625's Profile Photo

Brennerei Weiß: Brennerei Weiß - Centrally located, good food,beer

by simonli625 Written Mar 28, 2009

It is a quite popular local gay restaurant. It is normally quite packed at night. The food and the amosphere are quite nice. We also nice how they serve the beer in small glass so that it is always cold. You don't really have to re-order it. The bartender will just give you a new one when your glass is empty. If you don't want it , just simply put the coaster on top of the glass. They also use your coaster to count how many beers you had.

Favorite Dish: Geschmorte Schweinehaxe - pork knuckle. The meat pretty much fall off the bone.. so good.
    Schnitzel“Wiener Art“ - schnitzel with fries

• Trains

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Guten Abend: Remember, Bio means Organic!

by garridogal Updated Nov 2, 2008

We had out VT meeting dinner here and when Win first said we'd be going to a Bio restaurant, I wondered what this meant. Would everything be served in test tubes and beakers? Would the waiters wear lab coats and goggles? Should I wear goggles?

For those of you on the edges of your seats I'll tell you now that Bio means Organic. (In case you couldn't figure it out from my header!) Apparently, I wasn't alone in my confusion as a few good "Bio" and/or "Organic" jokes went around the table.

All in all, I'll say that the dish I ordered was very tasty. However, the plate with 3 tablespoon sized loaves of bread for a table of 5 was a little laughable. And also, the dinners of the two folks at our table who had ordered appetizers were forgotten. We got them promptly when we reminded the waiter but still...

Favorite Dish: I had a white fish (I have no idea what kind!) sauteed in butter and served with potatoes. It was really good and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Say
    • Business Travel

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo

Klaaf Bistro & Restaurant: A taste of German food

by Cristian_Uluru Updated Sep 9, 2008

Klaaf Bistro & Restaurant is located in the square in front of Eigelsteintor. During the summer season you can seat on the terrace in front of the Medieval town gate and relax yourself with a good beer, or a good cappuccino or with a delicious plate of food. Good music and a friendly staff allow to pass a great evening.

Favorite Dish: My experience in Klaaf Bistro & Restaurant was very positive. Here you can taste German and International dishes with a touch of Italian style. As starter I can suggest to taste one of the best tomato soup I ever eaten (with mais and fresh basil). As main dish I can suggest to taste a delicious Argentinisches Rumpsteak (ca.200 g) served with Kruterbutter, stove potato with sour cream and salad. Another good dish was Penne mit Hähnchenstreifen: Penne (pasta) with chicken strips in spicy tomato.
    As drink I suggest to try the Kolsch Beer.

Eigelsteintor

• Steve-H's Profile Photo

Peters Brauhaus: So many bars, so little time...

by Steve-H Written Sep 5, 2008

There are lots of restaurants, bars and little breweries to explore in the old quarter, most of them should come under the heading of Tourist Traps and we were trying to figure out which one to visit when it started raining again so the choice was' The nearest one' Peters Brauhaus won by default, we were outside at the time. This place is large, it's styled to look like one of colognes old beer houses, remember they were all flattened in the war so Peters is flying the flag for the traditionalists.
    Peters is big business, it must really attract the visitors in the summer, across the road is a small shop that sells Peters Brauhaus merchandise, like I said, big business.

Favorite Dish: The beer of course was Peters Kolsch (see photo 2) and remember that Kolch is served in 0.2L glasses, very small and it's a bit expensive too, that's about £1.35 for a fifth of a litre or if you prefer - the usual glasses are half a litre and a good beer costs about £2.40 but a Peters will cost about £3.37... good thing the food was cheap. I had great smoked pork with buttered potatos and a stew of broad beans (one of my favourites and in season too) which worked out at 9.9 euros or £7.92, very reasonable (see photo 3)

Brauhaus interior. Peters own Kolsch A hearty meal for less than 10 euros.

• superdan12's Profile Photo

Paffgen: Beer at its best!

by superdan12 Written Jul 26, 2008

This bar is one of the popular beerhouse today in Cologne, Germany. They offer the best beer in the world and also the only beer that is brewed only in Cologne, Germany. This place is good for having fun, it is very local and the tradition is good. During night, this bar has a live performance of performing artist in Germany. A perfect place for night out!!

• superdan12's Profile Photo

Le Moissonnier: Place where your mouth will water.

by superdan12 Written Jul 26, 2008

This restaurant is a Genuine Bistro type that you can get a very good plate of foods. They offer different class of French foods that is known to the whole world. This restaurant is a little bit expensive but it is actually worth the price when you experience eating it. This is a great place to dine with important clients or for a special romantic evening out on the town. This restaurant is very creative and also has a unique design in their facilities and also in the foods they serve. Don't miss to come here, this place will complete your stay in Cologne!

Peters Brauhaus: Overrated tourist trap with uninspired service

by BillNJ Updated May 30, 2008

After reading good reviews of Peters Brauhaus on the internet, I suggested to Sabs that we have our VT meeting here on Saturday, May 24, 2008. While the VT meeting itself was great because of the company and conversation, this restaurant was somewhat disappointing. The service was slow and uninspired. Also, I thought that the food was average and bland -- and that the Peters Kölsch was not as good as many of the other Kölsch varieties in the city.

The best thing about this restaurant is its location -- in an alleyway just off the Alter Markt. With all of the other great dining options in Cologne, though, I recommend that you look elsewhere.

Favorite Dish: Appetizer: Liverwurst and a hard roll

Dinner: Schweinehaxe with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes

Drink: Peters Kölsch

Brauhaus Em Kölsche Boor: Traditional Kölsch beer house with good food

by BillNJ Updated May 30, 2008

Upon the recommendation of a staff member at my hotel (Hotel Domstern), I ate dinner at the Brauhaus Em Kölsche Boor on my first night in Cologne. It is one of Cologne's oldest beer houses, and it is located on Eiglestein Strasse in the Altstadt-Nord section. It was only a short walk from my hotel.

I sat at the bar, and I first ordered a Gaffel Kölsch. Then, for dinner, I ordered some Jagerschnitzel that was served with a salad and fries.

For dessert, I had apple strudel with vanilla ice cream. Delicious!

This restaurant delivers a great, authentic Kölsch experience with food, drink, and service that generally exceeds the busier tourist traps near the Cathedral. The food portions are large, and the Gaffel Kölsch is great. Highly recommended!

Favorite Dish: Gaffel Kölsch - one of my favorite varieties

Meister Bock: Try some mettwurst at the Hauptbahnhof

by BillNJ Updated May 27, 2008

Inside the Cologne Hauptbahnhof, there is a small eatery named Meister Bock that serves different types of wurst. One evening, I tried a mettwurst. It is not a sit-down restaurant; instead, it is a fast food place where you can eat standing up at the counter or take your food to go. While in Germany, try different types of wurst.

Favorite Dish: Mettwurst

Olaf's Imbiss: Try some currywurst

by BillNJ Updated May 27, 2008

I had my first experience with currywurst at Olaf's Imbiss. It is not a sit-down restaurant; rather, it is a small fast food place where you can eat at the counter or take your food to go. For a reasonable price, stop in and enjoy some great currywurst or bratwurst.

Favorite Dish: Currywurst and a roll

• Trains

Schmittchen: Small, rustic Kölsch pub

by BillNJ Updated May 27, 2008

After wandering around the city for a couple of hours, I decided that it was time to try my first Kölsch. Unlike most tourists, my first Kölsch was not at one of the large beer houses near the Cathedral. Instead, it was at Schmittchen - a small, rustic Kölsch pub in the Breite Strasse pedestrian zone.

Schmittchen serves Gaffel Kölsch -- one of the finest varieties. In addition to Kölsch, I ordered another local Cologne specialty, Halve Hahn. While Halve Hahn literally means "half a rooster", the name is a misnomer. There is no poultry involved. Instead, in Cologne, Halve Hahn is a starter dish consisting of a rye roll and thick slices of cheese. At Schmittchen, they also serve it with butter and mustard on the side.

Favorite Dish: Kölsch and Halve Hahn

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo

Peters Brauhaus: Another Brewery Pub with more cons than pros

by RhineRoll Updated May 25, 2008

One of our recent Cologne VTmeetings took us to Peters Brewery house. Despite the food being edible, Peters is another element in a long row of Brewery house visits failing to convince me they are a good place to have dinner. On the positive side, the interior was nice and there was a handicap toilet, even though it was doubling up as the staff attendance room in need of clearance (and cleanup) when I wanted to use it. The food was ok but did not make it out of the mediocricy category. Service yet again was slow, grumpy and unattentive. You might argue that this is the way it's supposed to be in a real Kölsch Brewery house... maybe so, but I just don't like it that way -- tradition is nice, but bad traditions should be discontinued instead of perpetuated. Neither did I like the terrible air quality in some of the interior rooms. Operating a smoking ban would help a lot.

Menu with English language subtitles. Also good for Germans who are not familiar with the local dialect dish names. Ah yes, I almost forgot. Their Kölsch was one of the most sluggish ones I've ever tasted. Not recommended for tasting.

• Disabilities

• danmcf's Profile Photo

Zur alten Zollgrenze: Enjoyed our meal

by danmcf Written May 11, 2008

We more or less stumbled onto this place simply because the park & ride garage at the Zoo was full. We didn't have the emissions sticker needed to drive in the center so we had to find a spot to park out of the 'protected zone'.
    We ended up parking on a street where the 'Subway' surfaces for its run to the suburbs. This ended up being rather convenient because the parking was free & it was easy to find the 'Subway' stop (since it wasn't a subway here).
    We didn't eat much at the Hard Rock Cafe, specifically so we could sample something traditionally German later. We did eat enough that we weren't all that hungry after doing our sightseeing in the center.
    We waited until returning to our car before deciding on trying for that traditional meal, and the 'Zur alten Zollgrenze' was conveniently between our 'subway' stop and the car.

They had a nice outside terrace where we sat and easily ordered a couple Früh Kölsch beers. It was when we tried ordering some food that the language barrier became evident. Eventually, our server got the boss/cook out to chat with us. We explained that we just wanted a traditional dish in which to end our brief visit to Germany.

Favorite Dish: Not sure what their specialties were. I couldn't even decipher their daily menu displayed on a chalk board. After chatting with the boss/cook, the server brought us what appeared to be...

"Eisbein mit Sauerkraut", which is a very fat pork knuckle, cooked, and served with sauerkraut.
    This was actually very good. The pork fat melted in your mouth and the meat was extremely tender and juicy.

All in all it was a great ending to our day in Cologne.

the 'Zur alten Zollgrenze'

• Guten Abend: Organic German Food

by sabsi Written Feb 17, 2008

We came here for a small VT meeting in 2007, a recommendation by Richard (docu2001). Before we entered we made jokes about organic food and nobody of us could imagine us really having an organic dinner. How wrong we were! The food was very tasty, so were the wines. I remember that the restaurant looked more like an old fashioned brewery type of place than like a modern restaurant. Everything else is blurred because I laughed so much that evening...

Favorite Dish: I had an organic Wiener Schnitzel with potato salad. It was huge and gorgeous! And the pig lived a happy life before it ended on my plate ;)

• Restaurant Kabul: Small and Exotic

by sabsi Updated Feb 17, 2008

We came to this Afghan restaurant for Valentine's Day 2008 and loved it. The food was great. Atmosphere was very exotic (and I enjoyed it despite my "sitar allergy" ;) and the service was (maybe even a bit too) friendly!

The restaurant is rather small so when it's busy you can hear what all people sitting at the other tables are talking or ordering. So if you have secrets to tell it's not your place. If not, it's a great experience!

Favorite Dish: I had fried potato mash for starter (Shami) which was followed by Mantu, kind of "Afghan Tortelloni", filled dough with minced meat, tomato sauce and joghurt. It was very tasty and filling. Thomas had the "Kabuli", which is the favourite food of the waiter as well. He kept telling this to every customer who ordered it. It was lamb with brown rice (very tasty) and raisins.

If you go would you please order the "Sabsi" for me please? They have this dish on the menu and I can't order it because I don't like spinach and sheep cheese.

Instant Answers: Cologne

Comments

Cologne Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Cologne restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cologne sightseeing.