Cologne Restaurants

• Restaurants
    Kunibert der Fiese

Best Rated Restaurants in Cologne

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Päffgen: well worth the walk

by richiecdisc Written Jun 12, 2007

was it real or was it Memorex?

You hope to find one of these on every trip but it's not always the case. This was not mere luck but sheer perseverance. Mine for pushing, and my lovely wife's for putting up with me. Four days of endless beer hunting in Belgium right before this short Cologne trip would have been enough to bring about a divorce for most couples but she knows I find my share of gems and this is one of them. It was late. By any account, we should have already been on our way to meet VTer Sabsi in Düsseldorf for our farewell night before heading back to the US. But I wanted to check this out of the center pub out too badly to give up.

It is truly is like walking back in time once you walk through the door. It's why I look so hard and put up with such utter disappointment sometimes; to find a place like this. Wood, yes, paintings, yes, people talking loudly, yes, beers brought without asking, yes. Black & White, it feels like it.

Favorite Dish: Beers are brought without asking. What else would you drink, right? We'd already eaten twice but were glad we still had room for a snack of raw pork spread on local bread. It went perfectly with the city's tastiest Kölsch. Dry and fruity, just like a Kölsch should be. Forever when I think of going back to Cologne, I will think of being in this pub. I just hope it doesn't change one bit.

Brauhaus Em Kölsche Boor: Traditional Kölsch beer house with good food

by BillNJ Updated May 30, 2008

Upon the recommendation of a staff member at my hotel (Hotel Domstern), I ate dinner at the Brauhaus Em Kölsche Boor on my first night in Cologne. It is one of Cologne's oldest beer houses, and it is located on Eiglestein Strasse in the Altstadt-Nord section. It was only a short walk from my hotel.

I sat at the bar, and I first ordered a Gaffel Kölsch. Then, for dinner, I ordered some Jagerschnitzel that was served with a salad and fries.

For dessert, I had apple strudel with vanilla ice cream. Delicious!

This restaurant delivers a great, authentic Kölsch experience with food, drink, and service that generally exceeds the busier tourist traps near the Cathedral. The food portions are large, and the Gaffel Kölsch is great. Highly recommended!

Favorite Dish: Gaffel Kölsch - one of my favorite varieties

Malzmühle: Heaven & Earth

Heaven & Earth

This is yet another great old pub with lots of dark wood and a great dose of local atmosphere to boot. It's a lot less touristy though evidently Bill Clinton made it here!

Favorite Dish: We again opted for some soup and tried the local dish Himmel und Ad (Heaven & Earth). It consisted of fried blood sausage, deep fried onions, mashed potatoes, and apple sauce. It sounds disgusting perhaps but was actually quite tasty. It was rich so we were glad we were splitting it. It's great mixture that anyone that is not adverse to trying different things should try. The Malzmühle Kölsch is unfortunately one of the more bland, quite malty and a bit too sweet for my tastes. The bill was around 15 Euros.

• Beer Tasting

• Eis Cafe Raffaello: Mmmm - Icecream!

by Mariajoy Updated Jul 8, 2005

EisCafe

This was a lovely corner on which to sit and watch the world go by accompanied by an accordian player!

Favorite Dish: I had pistachio and chocolate icecream with extra cream for 2.70 Euro - Delicious! The staff did seem a little harassed as it was soo busy and one had trouble understanding my friend's german but any misunderstandings were quickly rectified.

Schmittchen: Small, rustic Kölsch pub

by BillNJ Updated May 27, 2008

After wandering around the city for a couple of hours, I decided that it was time to try my first Kölsch. Unlike most tourists, my first Kölsch was not at one of the large beer houses near the Cathedral. Instead, it was at Schmittchen - a small, rustic Kölsch pub in the Breite Strasse pedestrian zone.

Schmittchen serves Gaffel Kölsch -- one of the finest varieties. In addition to Kölsch, I ordered another local Cologne specialty, Halve Hahn. While Halve Hahn literally means "half a rooster", the name is a misnomer. There is no poultry involved. Instead, in Cologne, Halve Hahn is a starter dish consisting of a rye roll and thick slices of cheese. At Schmittchen, they also serve it with butter and mustard on the side.

Favorite Dish: Kölsch and Halve Hahn

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo

Fruh

by kentishgirl Written Nov 10, 2004

Fruh

This is one of the main Brewery houses in Cologne, its located close to the Dom.

Favorite Dish: They offer a big German menu so that you can taste real German food! And they also serve the local brew - Kolsch.

It was really busy when we were here, with lots of staff rushing all over the place!

Früh am Dom: a Cologne institution

by richiecdisc Written Jun 12, 2007

This is a timeless old place that is busy all the time. It is also cavernous with numerous rooms, each with their own atmosphere. The main dining room has lots of dark wood, very high ceilings and cathedral like windows that even feature some stained glass. This is actually a must see as much as a restaurant. The waiters, locally known are in constant movement delivering the little glasses of Kölsch that go down all too easily!

Favorite Dish: We knew we would be going to many pubs and that we enjoy eating while we drink to enhance the flavors of each so we opted to split one meal and a soup. The soup was very welcome on such a cold day. The meal was excellent if unusual. It consisted of venison meatballs in a mushroom sauce over spaetzle, Germany's version of pasta. It was an great accompaniment to the Früh Kölsch, one of the fruitier varieties. Three beers, one soup and one meal for 20 Euros.

• Architecture

• jmhenry1123's Profile Photo

Alt Koln Brauhaus: beer. beer beer beer beer beer beer beer

by jmhenry1123 Written Oct 1, 2004

Alt K��ln Brauhaus

The locals eat here so it has to be good.

The waiter didn't speak english so that had to be even better.

Beer and Bier are so similar that the waiter and I understood each other, the best.

We had a great experience at this brauhaus. The food was delicious. I had viener-schnitzel but tried my mom's pork shank, also delicious. A few beers to wash it all down.

Favorite Dish: Viener-schnitzel. Cooked to golden perfection

Pork shank - delicious roasted goodness.

Beer - Whatever it was it was good. Cologne serves mostly pale ales unlike those heavier, yeastier bavarian beers

• Hafen Terrasse: Little Imbiss by the Rhein

by Mariajoy Written Jul 2, 2005

Hafen Terrasse

There's a little Imbiss selling Bockwurst and Bratwurst and Pommes just across the bridge from the Sport and Chocolate museums. They are served with or without onions and they will squirt ketchup on if you don't ask for it without. They will also squirt some whiteish sauce (which isn't mustard) unless you tell them you don't want it. The staff are very tolerant of tourists who ask for *hotdogs*.

They don't serve drinks here. When you sit down with your food a waiter will come over and take your drinks order. You pay for the drinks when he brings them.

Favorite Dish: Being a vegetarian I only had chips.

Peters Brauhaus: Overrated tourist trap with uninspired service

by BillNJ Updated May 30, 2008

After reading good reviews of Peters Brauhaus on the internet, I suggested to Sabs that we have our VT meeting here on Saturday, May 24, 2008. While the VT meeting itself was great because of the company and conversation, this restaurant was somewhat disappointing. The service was slow and uninspired. Also, I thought that the food was average and bland -- and that the Peters Kölsch was not as good as many of the other Kölsch varieties in the city.

The best thing about this restaurant is its location -- in an alleyway just off the Alter Markt. With all of the other great dining options in Cologne, though, I recommend that you look elsewhere.

Favorite Dish: Appetizer: Liverwurst and a hard roll

Dinner: Schweinehaxe with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes

Drink: Peters Kölsch

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Frueh: When in Rome...

by christine.j Updated Apr 4, 2011

Prost

When in Rome act like the Romans and when in Cologne, drink a Kölsch, the local beer.Although I'm not a beer drinker usually - I prefer wine - I liked the beer here. The brewerey house Frueh is touristy, but why not? After all we were tourists. And the beer is good.
    Unlike in other places, you don't have to tell the waiters when you want another beer, you get this automatically as soon as your glass is almost empty. You have to tell them when you don't want another beer.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Australian Homemade: All natural ice cream with great service!

by BillNJ Updated Apr 4, 2011

Generally, the ice cream in Europe is great. Australian Homemade takes it up a notch by offering great tasting ice cream that is also made with all natural ingredients. The ice cream and sorbets are made right on the premises with a high percentage of fresh fruit. I had a cone with strawberry ice cream -- and it was delicious! Also, the young man who served me was very friendly and professional. Two thumbs up for Australian Homemade!

Favorite Dish: Strawberry Ice Cream

Olaf's Imbiss: Try some currywurst

by BillNJ Updated May 27, 2008

I had my first experience with currywurst at Olaf's Imbiss. It is not a sit-down restaurant; rather, it is a small fast food place where you can eat at the counter or take your food to go. For a reasonable price, stop in and enjoy some great currywurst or bratwurst.

Favorite Dish: Currywurst and a roll

• Trains

Meister Bock: Try some mettwurst at the Hauptbahnhof

by BillNJ Updated May 27, 2008

Inside the Cologne Hauptbahnhof, there is a small eatery named Meister Bock that serves different types of wurst. One evening, I tried a mettwurst. It is not a sit-down restaurant; instead, it is a fast food place where you can eat standing up at the counter or take your food to go. While in Germany, try different types of wurst.

Favorite Dish: Mettwurst

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo

Maredo

by kentishgirl Written Nov 10, 2004

Yummy!!!!

As I said the desserts here on offer were amazing.....as I could not possibly choose between any of them...Im clearly not the only one, because for 9euro they offer a selection of almost all of the desserts on the menu in one! Lol.....I did share this meal ok!!

Instant Answers: Cologne

Comments

Cologne Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Cologne restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cologne sightseeing.

Cologne Members Meetings