Detmold Local Customs

Most Recent Local Customs in Detmold

• himalia11's Profile Photo

Lippischer Pickert

by himalia11 Updated Feb 19, 2012

The “Picker” is a traditional dish in Westfalia. It’s a kind of thick pancake made of potatoes and yeast, either fried or baked. I had one in the restaurant “Im Weißen Roß” in the open-air museum, and it was one large “Pickert” that was about 2 cm thick. It was served with sugar beat syrup, butter and leberwurst. The “Pickert” was with raisins, but I heard there are variants without. I didn’t like the combination of raisins and leberwurst, but as in general it tasted good with leberwurst I ended up picking out the raisins of one part to eat it with lebewurst, and then I ate the other part with syrup then where raisins fit well! I’m not sure if I’ll ever eat this again, but it was an interesting experience!

• buzzz's Profile Photo

rummage sales

by buzzz Written Apr 11, 2005

On Saturday afternoons in Detmold on the bridge over the river people set up their tables of junk to sell. Like a garage or car boot sale but without the garage or car. It all adds to the nice atmosphere in the town.

view from the bridge in Detmold
    • School Holidays

Instant Answers: Detmold

Comments

Detmold Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Detmold local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Detmold sightseeing.