Food and Drink, Düsseldorf

Know about this? Rate It!

VT meeting for breakie
  • richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Life is great

by richiecdisc Updated Jan 15, 2008

VT meeting for breakie

Favorite thing: Beer is something hard to escape in Germany but contrary to common belief all German beer is not created equal. There are actually some awful beers in Deutschland. Alt beer is not only one of the country's best beer styles, its also one of its rarest. So, when in Dusseldorf, one should at least try it. Do not be content with a Diebels. This is a mass produced bland version that you can get in many big cities all over the country. No, try the great versions produced by the city's four brewpubs-Uerige, Fucshen, Schumacher and Schlussel.

Fondest memory: The alarm went off and I cursed myself not so much for setting it but for coming up with the brilliant idea of squeezing three breweries into less then twenty-four hours. It still seemed a great idea the night before as Caro, D and myself finished off a few Grand Cru’s that Caro had brought from her native Belgium while sitting at the hostel. We had already imbibed copiously at Munster’s Pinkus Mueller earlier in the evening. It was nearly midnight by the time we got to bed and seven hours would normally be adequate sleep. Well, if one hadn’t just flown into Germany from the US and had gotten some sleep the night before that is. As it was, we had woken up in the middle of the night and this second wake up call was like dragging a man from a coffin. A shower helped a bit and soon enough we were in the car on our way to Düsseldorf and two more brewpubs.

We arrived at Im Fuchchen to find three more VTers waiting patiently. Sabsi and Thomas had spent the previous evening with us in Munster and had gotten to bed even later than us after returning to Düsseldorf late at night, yet managed to make it on time. Another VTer Ingrid had missed out on that fun with a stomach virus but felt good enough to make it for round two.

We ordered up a hearty breakfast and as soon as I smelled the hoppy alt beer put before me I knew my plan had been a good one. Soon enough I would bite into a roll topped with raw pork and onions. I’d wash it down with a tasty beer. It was my birthday and it wasn’t even 10:30 in the morning. Life was good and surrounded by good friends in a traditional old brewpub, I couldn’t imagine it being any better. But maybe it could. I still was heading to Uerige for lunch and a plane to Dresden soon after that. My wife’s family was bound to have my favorite foods and beers from there waiting for me too. Did I say good? Life is great.

• Beer Tasting

• Goldenboy's Profile Photo

Choose that corner

by Goldenboy Written Mar 27, 2005

Give me a break, please

Favorite thing: Sometimes you will just need things that you know well. For a cup of coffee, let say. What a relieve after walking around the block, and you can slurp a frappe, or ice blended coffee. Some people cursing on its tasteless coffee, but i just cant miss its 'common' flavour blended coffee. Besides, they have a strategic corner, to see, and to be seen. :D Hey, youre free!

Fondest memory: In this very corner, i feels like i saw outside are German. You have your idea on German, anyway. Old, straight, strict, neat, ... ahh no. Those people will distracting you. Its cool.

• School Holidays

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Drink Altbier.

by richiecdisc Written Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: There’s nothing like having money to burn. I arrived in Dusseldorf from Bamberg with a pocket full of deutsch marks and one night to spend them in. VTer Kai was waiting at the train station to whisk me off to his Mom’s place so I had no worries about finding a room or navigating the big city streets. This was going to be easy. Or so I thought. I got a tour of the fire hall where he works and then after dropping the car off at Mom’s, we took the tram into town. I had been there a few years earlier but it was another one nightstand attempting to try all the altbiers in town. We did a little walk around but the weather was awful and the brewpubs were calling. I couldn’t spend money on the street, right? We went for lunch at yes you guessed it, a brewpub with wonderful local foods and great altbier to wash it down. I paid, explaining that these marks would be worthless once the Euro came in. Besides, he had picked me up at the station and was putting me up. We then went from one brewpub to the next, I believe there were four, and drank countless beers. The best was Uerige, where the beer waiters also came through with fresh local snacks for sale. I found out that the Dusseldorfers make pretzels that would put Bavaria to shame. We asked a few local guys to snap our photo and could not help but take one of them as well. It’s a great bustling place with no pretence whatsoever. I just loved it and the beer and food as well. Stuffed but still looking to try some more beers and food, we ventured back for a late night snack at yet another brewpub. Kai smartly ordered something small but I went for this massive plate. It was fried potatoes with veggies under a slab of leberkäse, topped with a fried egg. As good as it was, I couldn’t eat it all. Still,somehow on the way to the tram, I wanted some ice cream so we stopped in McDonald’s. We got back to his Mom’s and I promptly passed out. It was late and I had spent three days in three major beer cities in a row. Plzen, Bamberg and now, Dusseldorf. I would be up early the next morning and on a train to Holland. I had a date with the Grolsch Brewery. As hard as I had tried, I still hadn’t spent all my deutsch marks.

• steventilly's Profile Photo

Lovely Cakes...

by steventilly Written Feb 25, 2003

Mine, All Mine!

Favorite thing: Dusseldorf is quite a swish town and has its fair share of lovely cake shops & cafes. We stopped for a bite at Leysieffers, on Königsallee, Dusseldorfs chicest shopping street.

Instant Answers: Düsseldorf