Zum Hirschchen, Düsseldorf

by sabsi
  • BillNJ's Profile Photo

Zum Hirschchen: Great German Food and Schlösser Altbier

by BillNJ Written May 31, 2008

Before I visited Germany, I told VTer Sabs that I loved German food. Remembering this, Sabs and Thomas took me to Zum Hirschchen while I was in Düsseldorf. In addition to serving great German food, Zum Hirschchen is the main pub of the Schlösser brewery -- one of the best Altbier varieties in the city.

In the States, almost all German restaurants serve spaetzle and red cabbage. VTer Thomas (seppoman), who is originally from Munich, told me that these foods are more common in the south of Germany. In my travels throughout Land Nordrhein-Westfalen, Zum Hirschchen was the only restaurant in which I enjoyed delicious spaetzle and red cabbage. I had them with pig's knuckle that had already been taken off the bone served in a delicious brown sauce.

After dinner, I enjoyed a German bitter liqueur.

I really enjoyed this restaurant! It served the best traditional German food during my entire trip. Highly recommended!

• Zum Hirschchen: Zum Hirschchen

by sabsi Updated Oct 30, 2006

Duck on rocket salad with fresh fruits

The Hirschchen ist something like our living room. We often go here if we're too lazy to cook or if one of us feels like a beer. Apart from friendly waiters and the typical brewpub atmosphere (Hirschchen is the main pub of Schlösser brewery) this place offers the best pork knuckles in town and several other tasty things. They have a standard menu but there are daily offers, too. These change every day.

Favorite Dish: As I don't like to eat pig's legs I normally choose something different all the time. The fried potatos are nice, so are the chicken wings and most of the stuff you order from the daily changing menu.

• Bigs's Profile Photo

Zum Hirschchen: Have a lovely meal and an Altbier

by Bigs Written Sep 21, 2002
    The painting on the women toilet

One of these old typical beerhouses. The food is quite modern, even if the restaurant really looks old fashioned from the outside and inside!

They have a different menu every day...

Favorite Dish: Salat mit Bratkartoffeln uns Spiegelei, kind of unusual to mix salad and fried potatoes, but it´s a very common dish in htis area of Germany! It was excellent!!!

Instant Answers: Düsseldorf

Comments

Hotels Near Zum Hirschchen
4.5 out of 5 stars