Film Museum, Düsseldorf

• 2. More modern than the one my father had
    2. More modern than the one my father...
    3. In the museum
  • Nemorino's Profile Photo

My childhood at the film museum

by Nemorino Written Mar 20, 2010

Photos:
    2. More modern than the one my father had
    3. Projector just like the one we had at home
    4. An early attempt to add sound to movies

It always seems strange to go to a museum and see things you used to use yourself.

Some of the old 8 mm movie cameras and projectors at the film museum were just like the ones we used to have at home when I was a child.

I still have a box of old 8 mm films that my father and I took. I suppose it would be possible to get them digitalized, but I suspect their historical value is rather limited.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

by Nemorino Written Mar 20, 2010

1. Entrance to the film museum

Photos:
    1. Entrance to the film museum
    2. Historic projectors in the film museum
    3. In the museum
    4. Historic cameras

The film museum has its own cinema, the "Black Box", and four floors of exhibit space with displays of the history and aura of the movies.

For example: "Film and Politics" is an exhibit on the third floor in between "Film and Money" and "Myths of the Present".

The museum is open Tuesday to Sunday from 11 am to 5 pm, Wednesdays to 9 pm, closed Mondays.

Admission as of 2010 was three Euros, or 1.50 Euros for those who get a discount.

• antistar's Profile Photo

by antistar Updated Jan 4, 2005

Film Museum, Dusseldorf

This probably won't appeal to many people except those keen on German cinema. There are some interesting exhibits, such as the 19th century 3D photographs (astonishing quality for the time) and the proto-animation techniques, but nothing really stood out and grabbed my attention. I did like watching the clip from Battleship Potemkin, but I can watch that on DVD whenever I like anyway.

• IceBear7's Profile Photo

by IceBear7 Updated May 11, 2004

Stan & Olli at their best! See an "Oscar", a Palm Tree from Cannes, a Lion from Venice, a Bear from Berlin, a golden Bambi and all the other famous movie awards.
    Costumes and dresses, merchandising, movie posters.
    Equipment since the first days of movie theatres.
    Moving pictures, miracles, before they had cameras. Camera obscura.

A cinema is also part of the museum, with very special, international films, old and new, often a whole week is dedicated to an actor or director or topic or country. Well worth a visit!

Instant Answers: Düsseldorf