Düsseldorf Warnings and Dangers

• MirkaKripac's Profile Photo

Dusseldorf - Hertz: EUR 1,150.58 for a Dent

by MirkaKripac Written Oct 23, 2012
    EUR 1,150.58 Dent

I rented a car from Hertz in Dusseldorf for 6 weeks from June 13 until July 25.
    I am enrolled in the Premium Car rental Protection Program provided by American Express.
    When I returned the car, a Hertz employee reported damage - 1 small dent.
    I asked whether Hertz was going to bother about it.
    I was told that I would be notified.
    Hertz immediately charged my credit card on July 25: the amount, EUR 786.28.
    I asked many times for an explanation and invoice: there was no response until September 13, 50 days after Hertz charged my credit card.
    I received a Hertz invoice on September 13th demanding additional EUR 364.30.
    Hertz Dusseldorf charged EUR 1,150.58 for a hardly noticeable dent!

• rjw8652's Profile Photo

40 Euros Fine on the U-bahn!!

by rjw8652 Written Sep 13, 2009

Visitors to Dusseldorf using the U-bahn must be very careful to have their tickets stamped in a specific way, using the red ticket machines. These ticket machines are located at the entry to platforms and on the trains themselves - but there is nothing to say how this system works.

I found this out to my cost after having to pay a 40 euros fine for not having my ticket stamped IN THE SPECIFIED WAY - despite the fact that the ticket itself was valid! I had just arrived in Germany the day before and this was my first trip on the U-bahn. I bought my "4er" ticket from a station kiosk but nobody bothered to explain how the ticket needed stamping and what the severe fines were for not doing so. I went on the train with the ticket and then, part way into the journey, the ticket inspectors arrived. As my ticket was not stamped, they insisted I pay the 40 euros fine. I argued that there were no signs or notices showing the stamping system, and how was I as a visitor supposed to know this? After more than 30 minutes of argument, during which time they confiscated my passport and displayed an extremely rude manner, I was forced to pay up or be arrested. They had absolutely no latitude for commonsense whatsoever, and no amount of argument will move them

Vistors to Dusseldorf using the U-bahn - BE WARNED!!

• Trains

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Shortage of parking in the city center

by BillNJ Updated May 31, 2008

Fortunately, I did not have to drive while in Düsseldorf since my hotel was in the city center and there is excellent public transportation. While walking around the city, though, I noticed that there was generally more cars than parking spaces. With the shortage of parking, some people exercised some creativity in parking like the pizza-delivery smart car in the photo.

• watch your purses wallets cameras and coats

by gerbsas Written Mar 11, 2008

I was unfortunate enough to get ripped off in Dusseldorf my purse was stolen my coat and it was in the winter and my camera with all my memories it's a shame I realy liked Germany but that last trip left a bad taste in my mouth not sure if I'll go back

• Work Abroad

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Beware of what you order just...

by richiecdisc Updated Jan 15, 2008

counting calories? Don't bother

Beware of what you order just before bed, late night snacks are taken seriously in Düsseldorf. Here's the version I was served up at Zum Schlussel, the Stadschreiber (a fried egg atop leberkäse and fried pototoes and green beans). As you can imagine I put on a few pounds on this trip!

• Beer Tasting

• Hui-Hui's Profile Photo

Train Strike

by Hui-Hui Written Nov 3, 2007

crowd at railway platform

Railway workers had strike during the trade show K2007 so our trains seldom came on time and there was delay like 30 minutes late. It was very horrible to wait for the coming of train in cold air. If you plan to take train to/around Duesseldorf during big trade show time, please go to railway stations earlier to avoid being late.

• Docu2001's Profile Photo

A city of contrasts

by Docu2001 Written Jul 14, 2006
    Fixing ...

In the vicinity of the Train station you are likely to find some unsavory scenes, I was warned about it and I certainly experienced it. Nothing that bad, but it is always off-putting to see a junkie shooting up first thing in the morning in a public park.

What's in that ?

by sourbugger Updated Jan 6, 2006

If you are visiting the traditional Christmas market in December, then it is quite likely that you will be imbibing some of the famous Gluhwein (mulled wine).

I was going to write a tip about how this stuff is usually made from German wines that would disgrace a car battery or bottle of anti-freeze and only made paletable by the addition of huge amounts of sugar and cinnamon. I must admit however, that the stuff was actually rather good.

Despite this endorsement, do be aware that the actual percentage of alcohol can vary greatly between the various brews on sale. Some reckon the time of day makes a difference as well. My better half had a mug-full and looked quite trollied. I know she must have been a bit tipsy afterwards because she walked straight past a shop selling handbags and a 'sale' sign in the window without noticing.

• Wine Tasting

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Authentic soundtrack to Christmas ?

by sourbugger Updated Dec 21, 2005

Can I vomit now please ?..

Like many others this year we visited Dusseldorf to see the Christmas market. Whilst it was all very pleasant and Christmassy, I must confess that the incessant background music drove me nutty.

It would have been nice to hear some german carols or at least a bit of Beethoven. But what do we get ? Bloody Cliff Richard singing "Misseltoe and wine", Boney M singing "Mary's boy Child" and everybody singing that irritating "Do they know it's Christmas time ?". Lord help us

• Festivals

• wilde13's Profile Photo

Melody bar - much bucks for bad cocktails

by wilde13 Written Dec 20, 2005

The melody bar was formerly known as an unique destination for Düsseldorf people to have a good drink in the Altstadt.
    The bar was therefore closed at saturdays, where most drinkers are coming from around. Nowadays it is also opened saturday.

I have heard some bad news about that bar recently. And we all had a great displeasure about bad and expensive drinks and a harsh service.

So, from internal tip i will do rate it down to warning.
    Moneywise a donation to homeless people or to any other charity is better invested. B/S ou will not drink your cocktail.

Get the right airport !

by sourbugger Written Dec 19, 2005

weeze airport

After talking to the woman in the Tourist information office, I believe that some people still mix up the main Dusseldorf airport (which is simply connected by S-bahn and lies in the Northern suburbs), with the new Neidderhein / Weeze airport. Weeze is promoted by Ryanair (the main users) as a Dusseldorf airport even if it is about 75kms away and takes an hour to get there !

Make sure you know which airport you are arriving / leaving from !

Also see transport tip for further information on Weeze airport.

Old Trams

by antistar Updated Jan 6, 2005

Old Tram, Dusseldorf

The transport system in Düsseldorf is generally pretty good once you get used to it, but the old trams were a real problem for me. They had nothing on them to indicate where to get off, the stations had no names, and if it was dark you could easily get completely lost like I did. The information on board is not self-explanatory, and I felt I could be going in any direction, even if I found my way onto the right tram. The driver announced stops, but the accent was always so strong I couldn't manage to pick out a single one. Stuttgart had electronic signs, and automatic announcements in very clear German, so I never had a problem there. The modern trams and underground in Düsseldorf are a lot better.

Rude Waiters

by antistar Written Jan 6, 2005

It seems that the Altstadt restaurants and bars have a tradition of "rough" service from the waiters. I don't know if that is meant to translate as rude, but both times I was ordering in the Altstadt the service ranged from gruff to rude. I would suggest that as this is some kind of tradition, that you don't take it too personally, as the waiter may think that you are expecting to be treated in this manner.

General Safety

by antistar Written Jan 6, 2005

Dusseldorf city pays for extra police on the beat, making the place feel even safer than most German cities (and they are generally pretty safe). There are a few beggars down Konigs Allee, and a few drunks and other riffraff around the city, but it is barely noticeable. I also noticed that there were an obvious community of drunks that seemed to ride the trams all day, possibly to keep out of the cold. They seemed more worried about me, than the other way around, and proved harmless apart from making a few passengers uncomfortable with loud and inappropriate introductions. In the station, and especially outside, there were a few groups loitering about suspiciously, and I didn't feel 100% safe, but nobody did anything and I have no real reason to think that they would.

• Bigs's Profile Photo

Be careful at petrol stations!!!

by Bigs Updated Mar 21, 2004

Sit down in front of the cars???

We found this sign at a petrol station and first we were a bit surprised before we realized the meaning. It says: "Please sit down carefully in front of the cars". Why should we sit there anyway???
    After a little while we recognized that they meant the exit area of the station.....

Instant Answers: Düsseldorf

Comments

Düsseldorf Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Düsseldorf warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Düsseldorf sightseeing.