Duisburg Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Duisburg

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Landschaftspark Snack Bar: Good place to stop after exploring the park

by BillNJ Updated Jun 1, 2008

After exploring the Landschaftspark, VTer Daniela and I stopped at the snack bar near the tourist information office at the park. If you are hungry, the snack bar serves fast food options such as bratwurst. You can also quench your thirst with a wide variety of beverages. Since this park is in Germany, beer is an option. Daniela ordered an Alcohol-Free König Pilsener since she was driving, and I had a König Pilsener Lemon which has an interesting, citrusy taste for a beer.

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Schacht 4/8: Exactly my kind of pub!

by CatherineReichardt Updated Feb 23, 2012

Oh my! If there were ever a restaurant tailored to my specifications, this is it!!!

I stumbled upon this pub after two intensive days of business. I am more than a gannet than most people, but after a day or two, I find business lunches/suppers a bit wearing: we of peasant stock can only take so much rich food in upmarket restaurants!

Anyway, Schacht (Shaft) 4/8 is a pub with a mining theme, located just off the main Koenigstrasse pedestrian precinct. The theme reflects the coal mining heritage of the Ruhr region, and the walls are decorated with eclectic mining-related paraphernalia - guaranteed to make this miner feel right at home!

When I visited, it was early evening, so the place was fairly quiet - however, I imagine that it can get quite jolly later in the evening, especially on evenings when there is live music or comedy (check the website below for details). One of the many things that I like about German pubs is that it is perfectly acceptable for a woman on her own to sit down and order a beer or a meal without being hassled or viewed as being odd (not always a given in other parts of the world) - not that I have to say that this has ever really deterred me ;)!

Favorite Dish: Like almost all German pubs, Schacht 4/8 serves a limited menu of local food to line your stomach - in this case, the main attraction for me was the Flammkuchen. Flammkuchen is a German variation on a pizza theme (I speak under correction, but I think it originated in the Alsace region?), with a thin crispy base, covered with sour cream and finished off with savoury or sweet toppings before being briefly baked in a very hot oven. My Elsaesser flammkuchen featured bacon and onions, and was utterly divine - when it arrived, it looked so large that I feared I wouldn't be able to do it justice, but 15 minutes later, my plate was clean! My only regret? I didn't have space to sample the apple and cinnamon flammkuchen for desert!

And as for the beer - well anywhere that serves Kolsch (my all time favourite beer) is a sure fire winner!

Schacht 4/8, Duisburg Schacht 4/8, Duisburg Schacht 4/8, Duisburg

Am Faehrhaus: Simple Dishes in Beer Garden Atmosphere

by whvcebu Updated Jun 15, 2004

The name of the restaurant is translated as

... the "Old Ferry House" restaurant was built in 1879. It used to be the last house on the way to the Rhine ferry before the various bridges were built. After my walk along the Rhine I had a big cup of freshly brewed coffee and bacon & eggs breakfast before going home to put this picture on VT.

Favorite Dish: Strammer Max (Meat loaf with fried egg)
    Potato Salad with sausages
    Cold mixed platter (bread, sliced sausages, cheese)

Restaurant and Beer Garden

China Garden (formerly Kronenburg): Excellent Chinese Dishes made to order

by whvcebu Updated Aug 5, 2006

The chef is from Hong Kong. Therefore, Cantonese food is dominant on their menu, though you may order also Szechuan's hot type of dishes. But also Indonesian types of food.

Favorite Dish: I celebrated my Birthday in this restaurant and told the chef to prepare real Chinese food and not the type of dishes made to fit German taste.

We got:
    Chinese cold cuts including century eggs.
    Mixed seaweeds
    Peking Duck
    Beef with vegetables and cashew nuts
    Mushrooms
    Fish (seabrass sweet sour)
    Shark's fin soup
    Rice balls

Total cost per person: EUR 20,00

Peking Duck's skin with onions and sauce

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

Schiffchen: Eating in a naval atmosphere

by ettiewyn Updated Sep 30, 2012

The Schiffchen, meaning "small ship", is a restaurant next to the Museum of German Inland Shipping. It keeps the theme of the museum, being located in a rough building made of bricks which are visible in the interior and a large counter. Still, it is not one of the traditional harbour pubs, but rather has rather a stylish atmosphere.
    As it was a sunny day, we chose to sit outside, where there were some tables and chairs. Unfortunately, this spot is quite close to the street, and neither can you see the rhine from here, so we had imagined it a bit nicer.

I just had a drink, but my dad had a piece of cake and liked it a lot. Service was quick and friendly, and prices were as usual.

I think that if you visit the museum and feel like a break afterwards, this is a good choice, but otherwise I would rather choose one of the restaurants or cafés closer to the rhine.

Websters: Brewpub

by Sjalen Written Sep 20, 2007

Websters was touted in the guidebooks as Duisburg's oldest brewery. Once we got here we found out that this meant from 2003, but well, at least that means traditions are kept alive :))) We sat outside so we would spot Sabsi and Thomas easier and service-wise this turned out to be a big mistake as the two waitresses doing the outside tables were just not keeping up with demands at all. I am not sure if they were just understaffed for the evening or what, but they kept saying they had a "queue" for the night. Nevertheless, they were friendly once they arrived. You just had to order two beers at a time. The inside of the pub is very cosy and lively and it would be one of the places I would send people to if they were looking for a fun night out with friends as service is guaranteed to be better there. We visited on a Saturday night which also meant live country music and I'm not sure what other bands they put on for weekends. Due to the slow service, we were glad that we never ate here, but at first we were not, as the food looks very nice and there is a whole page on the menu dedicated to Flammkuchen which are always tasty. They also do schnitzels, sausages and some veggie alternatives, all looking very nice. So what about the beer? Well, the other Duisburg brewery does it better, but I'd still definately drink here again. Not as many varieties of their own brew but perfectly OK in a blond and a dark version. They also do peculiar "beer cocktails" with their beer and fruit juices, named after Steffi Graf, Pamela Anderson and others.

• Music

Mongo's: Asian experience

by Sjalen Updated Sep 21, 2007

This was the setting for the VT dinner and a very good choice as there was something for everyone here. Mongo's is a concept restaurant with branches all over Germany. The name comes from its Mongolian inspiration, although do not expect fermented mare's milk or lots of sheep here. In fact it is more pan-Asian with all sorts of things in a buffet which you select from before giving it to the kitchen to stir fry for you. Before chosing, you pick a marinade with the waiter who jots it down on your little tray so the kitchen knows what to make of your ingredients. The marinades come in 8-9 different varieties and strenghts such as sweet and sour, BBQ, satay and Thai. Amongst the food to pick from you will find loads of vegetables of all sorts as well as some sort of poultry, beef (sometimes exotic such as springbok) and pork, salmon and prawns. The menu recommends marinades with each type of food and I advise you not to overload the first plate as you can always change marinade when you go for seconds and so on. All food is served with rice as a side dish but there are also several types of noodles to chose from in the buffet. The staff is cheerful and friendly and can recommend things to combine, and the restaurant is in a nice location in the inner harbour where you can go for more nightlife afterwards.

Favorite Dish: Some light meat with satay sauce I think. The black chili sauce was also good with darker meat.

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo

Ocho: Close to the train station

by ettiewyn Updated Sep 29, 2012

Ocho is a mexican-style restaurant and bar that is very close to the train station. Due to this convenient location, my dad and I have had lunch there many times after I had arrived in Duisburg by train. I must admit, though, that apart from the location this is not one of my favourite restaurants. The main reason for this is that, although staff are usually friendly, service is very slow most of the times, even if there are not many guests. The restaurant is also very huge, and while it is probably more crowded in the evenings, during lunch the atmosphere is not very nice. I think they should rather shut some parts of it down during the day instead of leaving everything open and just creating an atmosphere that is not so comfortable.

Apart from this, the food has always been ok. As a vegan, I can either eat potato wedges with ketchup or a salad, and both have always been tasty enough, although not over top.

But hey - location is key, and because of this we will probably continue visiting this restaurant from time to time.

Brauhaus Schacht 4/8: Top brewery result

by Sjalen Written Sep 21, 2007

Right in the city centre you will find this fairly new brewery which makes a fantastic blond beer called Gruben Gold, i.e. mining gold, and the mining theme runs through the pub which can also be seen in its name playing on a shaft. They also do seasonal Festbier and a dark brew as well as a Ruhrpot pils which I never tried as the blond was simply too good. The ambience is nice and friendly but perhaps a bit less cosy and open than you'd expect from a German brauhaus and at times it felt more like a place where locals hang out and I guess that's what it is like in Duisburg where few tourists end up. Behind the dining area (which also has a summer terrarce) is a room looking like the wooden interior of an old mine and here locals play poker and there are regular poker nights but we visited early and had a quiet family evening including dinner. Food was good and typically German (plus pasta) but not the best I've had by any means and quite heavy. All dishes have names associated with locals such as "Anton's favourite pan" and the like, and portions are generous. There is a childrens' menu with fish fingers and other things you would expect. There are also theme weeks with different lunch and dinner offers.

Favorite Dish: Gruben Gold beer!

• Casino and Gambling

Seglerheim - Schroeder's Tafelfreuden: Don't miss the view along the lake

by whvcebu Updated Aug 5, 2006

A very cozy restaurant (Sailor's home) hidden in a forest along a lake.
    I have never been there, although it says that it is there since 41 years.

The restaurants has nice and inexpensive food.

I ate on the terrace, nicely decorated, view onto the sailboats at the mooring.

Favorite Dish: I had a simple dish, but excellently prepared: Gambas al Ajillo

King Prawns with Garlic and tomato sauce (Spanish way) and some french bread with garlic butter.

Inclusive a bottle of mineral water I spent just about 10 US$

• Weissdorn's Profile Photo

Schacht 4/8: Shaft 4/8

by Weissdorn Written Jan 15, 2003

This bar / brewery / restaurant is right across the street from Kaufhof, the big department store, in the pedestrian zone, near the Kant Park. They specialize in home-made style cuisine, such as gulash soup served in a bread loaf and simple one-plate meals. They have their own homemade beer here - you can see the kettle in the corner when you go into the place. The restaurant is down in a coal mining theme - hence the name Shaft 4/8. They have ore cars, tracks and pneumatic drill decorating all the way up to the high ceilings.

Favorite Dish: Thursdays in the day you can order a keg of beer brought to your table for half-price. The have two types, Miner's gold, and Alt (old). I like the Schmankerl plate - it's like really fresh leftovers served in a frying pan. (Not real leftover, though). On Sundays they have an all-you-can-eat brunch, and you can sit in their backyard garden.

Beer garden's outside on the sidewalk

• Bigs's Profile Photo

Alltoura: Fresh salads!!!!!! Yummy!

by Bigs Updated May 3, 2003

This restaurant was our shelter when a thunderstorm made it impossible to stay outdoors..... We wanted to have lunch anyway, so this wasn´t too hard..... The Alltoura is based inside the Alltours building, a German holiday company, and that´s where it gets its name of.....

It´s next to a fitness centre and so the menu offers some light meals and great salads for example....

Favorite Dish: Sabs and I had a "Bauernsalat".....with fried potatoes and an egg on top of it! It was fantastic!

Bauernsalat

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo

Zoo duis cafeteria (I just made that up): Don't miss the vieuw....

by belgianchocolate Written Jun 8, 2003

Not the food is important here. Altough it is not that bad. You can shoose some real german disher like schnitsel und sausages... (my messmate says you get more salade as in regular german restaurants) but when you are sitting in this restaurant the vieuw is spectacular...

You can look right in to the exhibit of the giraffes and on the other side you can watch the african elephants.

Isn't that great?

dinner with girafs
    • Zoo

• marlowe1975's Profile Photo

Webster: Webster Brewery and Beergarden

by marlowe1975 Written Jan 27, 2007

The Webster brewery was founded in 1992 at Dellplatz,Duisburg.
    It is not more then 10 minutes away from the city and not then 20 minutes from Duisburg station.
    Outside, within the Dellplatz, is the Beergarden, open from spring to autumn in a bavarian style.
    The main beers are the bright " Blonde " and the dark one " Dunkles".
    They also brew seasonal beer such as wheatbeer in summer or Santa Claus beer in the late autumn.
    Ask and they can get you an english written menu card.
    Also ask for the special dish of the day like Spare Ribs or knuckle of pork.
    The regional kitchen is tasty and more than enough to get full.
    Try also the spirit " Bierbrand" after the meal,its not so strong but very tasty.

Webster outside Webster inside

• whvcebu's Profile Photo

Bolero Duisburg GmbH - Sunshine Bar & Rest.: Near the Water Front at the Inner Harbor

by whvcebu Updated Aug 18, 2006

Basically mixed type of food, but emphasis on Mexican dishes
    Inside facilities with long stretching bar, and very nice outside facilities, where you can enjoy fresh air. Unfortunately inside it is not prohibited to smoke, despite food being served.

Favorite Dish: Cesar's Salad with grilled chicken pieces in a very tasty marinade

Instant Answers: Duisburg

Comments

Duisburg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Duisburg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Duisburg sightseeing.