Essen Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Essen

• chancay's Profile Photo

Landhaus am Staadt.: Great ambience

by chancay Updated Apr 4, 2011

A nice Landhaus ambience can be something simple, basic, just rustical (what has really its charme) or like this one - 20 meters from the Ruhr in the surroundings of Essen - a really bourgeoise quite noble ambience and charme what I really liked as well. The lunch we had was very good, although it was not too much...;-))

Favorite Dish: I had Matjes (young heering) with fried potatoes and onions. I like this generally very much and it was deliciously prepared here....but the quantity..... ;-))

• dila's Profile Photo

Artemis: great greek restaurant

by dila Updated Apr 4, 2011
    restaurant

ofcourse Artemis is my greek name for Diana so i had to go here.
    i liked everything how it looks, nice staff and the food.
    we were here at 17.15 but after 18.00 people were waiting for a place to eat.
    so i think it is better to make a reservation.

Favorite Dish: i had
    cola diet €1.50
    zentauren-teller (a plate with giros (pieces of meat) and suvlaki (meat on a spies) with frites and salade for €10.70
    josé had
    imigly red wine 0.25L €3.30
    spezial- teller ( the same as me but with more different meat) €14.10
    a bottle of water (with bubbles) was more expensive €5
    tea €1.50
    coffee €1.50

• hundertmorgen's Profile Photo

Restaurant Haferkamp: Unfortunately the owner changed...

by hundertmorgen Updated Apr 4, 2011

... and the restaurant is not the same anymore.

It used to be: Nobly dinner in relaxing surroundings - I loved this food there. It was always fresh, the cook composed unusual recipes and everything tasted really good. Also a nice location for summertime, because of a nice beer garden.

Favorite Dish: all of the seafood

• boozm's Profile Photo

Projekt Zweibar: Best coffee in NRW

by boozm Updated Dec 29, 2008

As I said this place has the best coffee in NRW which is not a difficult feat but an admirable one. I live near it and I go there every day, the staff are really friendly and when I complimented them on the coffee they thanked me and told me they do their best to provide great coffee and food at low prices.

They have a brilliant old Italian style coffee machines. Not one of those one-push presto things all the other cafes think they can get away with!! But they grind the beans, froth the milk with a frothing arm and pour it over some choice espresso. Delicious.

It's small and locally run with very tasteful wooden furniture and great music. It's not big and impersonal like Barcelona, Extrablatt or CafeSolo - they are all chains and have no ambience or personality. Just places to eat really. The Zweibar has character.

Favorite Dish: In the mornings I get the Toscana which is scrambled eggs with olives and other vegetables and a hot roll and salad.

Or I get the Aspirin-Ersatz which is an English breakfast with baked beans and bacon.

Anything else on the menu is good and usually served with a generous and delicious helping of salad.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Schnitzel Huber: Get the original schnitzel

by BillNJ Updated May 31, 2008

After VTer Daniela dropped me off at the Essen Hauptbahnhof, I decided to do a little bit more exploring of Essen. Also, since "essen" means to eat in German, I wanted to eat my dinner there.

For dinner, I stopped at a chain restaurant named Schnitzel Huber that is located in the enclosed CityCenter shopping mall. I ordered the original schnitzel, salad, and German potato salad. For a beverage, I had a Stauder Pils and a glass of water.

For a chain restaurant, the quality of the food was excellent. I wish Schnitzel Huber would consider expanding to New Jersey!

Favorite Dish: Original schnitzel

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Dunkin' Donuts: America's best coffee and donuts chain!

by BillNJ Written May 31, 2008

I was pleasantly surprised when I came across a Dunkin' Donuts in the enclosed CityCenter mall in the Essen pedestrian zone because it is my favorite coffee chain in the United States. Unfortunately, it was closed on the Sunday that I visited. I thought this was a little unusual because, in the States, most Dunkin' Donuts are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Anyway, since it was closed, I had to wait until my return to New Jersey before I could have a DD hazlenut coffee (my favorite).

Favorite Dish: Hazlenut coffee with skim milk and no sugar

Nord

by Gili_S Updated Apr 16, 2006

Hungry VT members

This place was just on our way so we stopped here and had another beer. But additional we had also curry wurst, which was great.

Also good here was the music, only rock, no any...
    you know ;-)

Favorite Dish: Curry wurst

Cafe Bar Celona: Cafe Bar Celona

by Gili_S Updated Dec 5, 2004

Nice way they play with the name of this place, I saw it the last time when I was in Essen, with those big windows, looks like a great location in the winter when the sun is shining.
    Next time I will try my breakfast here.

• RitchiS1's Profile Photo

DER LÖWE: YOU WANT BAVARIAN " HAXE "

by RitchiS1 Written Oct 3, 2004

RESTAURANT DER L��WE ESSEN

HERE YOU CAN GET BAVARIAN MEALS LIKE ( HAXE ) KNUCKLE WITH SAUERKRAUT , THE PRICE DEPEND OF THE WEIGHT OF THE KNUCKLE , 100 gr KNUCKLE COST 0,99 EURO SO THE KNUCKLE IS ABOUT 5 EURO OR MORE

Favorite Dish: HAXE / KNUCKLE WITH SAUERKRAUT WITH MASHED POTATOES AND WHEAT BEER

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo

Yummy lunch 1 !!

by jenniferchin Written Sep 27, 2004

yummmm :-)))

Favorite Dish: Of course the menu was in german, but my wonderful friends painstakingly took the time to go through & explain each of the items.

This Roast Beef dish comes highly recommended by Sandra. Normally, I am not used to potatoes but now, I absolutely adore the way potatoes are prepared here :-))

• hundertmorgen's Profile Photo

Landhaus am Staadt: Local and international food

by hundertmorgen Written Sep 11, 2004

Very nice atmosphere and various kind of food. They have local food, with typical dishes from the ruhr area and also various kinds of pasta, fish and meat.

Every wednesday they play live music there!

• Wine Tasting

Cafe Solo

by Gili_S Updated Apr 2, 2004

This is relatively new cafe in the centre of the city. I did visit here at morning or evening, for coffee or beer, service was nice too. By the way, this place is also the usual meeting point for VT members as well.

Favorite Dish: Weizen

• RitchiS1's Profile Photo

GEBRANDENHOF: SEAFOOD AND LOCAL FOOD

by RitchiS1 Updated Mar 21, 2004

Gebrandenhof Essen

Nice and old style , built in 1798 , very charming atmosphere .
    You believe you ve come in the 19th century , you get impression of a former farmer .

Favorite Dish: I ve tested the GEBRANDENHOFSPIESS ( grilled meat ) served with rosted potatoes .
    My wife got Pasta with "Flusskrebse" with a curry sauce .
    Both meals ve been very delicious .

• Wine Tasting

• De Prins: Dutch chips and atmosphere

by sabsi Updated Nov 25, 2003

Furry Friends at the wall of De Prins

Sandra showed us this hidden secret in Essen: A Dutch pub!!! Normally we have Dutch chippers at German shopping streets but I have never been to a Dutch pub in Germany!!

It's a great place! You will find lots of Kitsch at the walls, great Dutch snacks, a model railway going around the whole pub over your heads, friendly waiters, smelly T-Shirts for sale and we had a great time here during the VT meeting.

Another great reason for going here: It's very very very cheap! I had chips and Loempia here and together with 2 sauces and 2 drinks I paid less than 8 Euro. I couldn't believe my eyes!

Favorite Dish: Chips with Sate sauce and Garlic sauce.

• Bagillbaer's Profile Photo

Fährhaus Rote Mühle: The red mill ferry house...

by Bagillbaer Updated Sep 20, 2002

I haven't been there in quite some time, but this used to be one of my fav places on warm summer evenings, when the family was in fancy for a little excursion - this notion usually took us to the Rote Mühle, to sit in the Biergarten, watch the river and have a hot chocolate. I've never been inside the house, but it looks quite comfy in the pix on their website.
    The location is rather fine - a little wood on the one side (and behind that the street), the river and its footpath on the other, trees all around and on the opposite riverbank some hills. Very pleasant atmosphere. There's even an old colliery tower nearby. Ach, a classic Ruhrpott scenery :o)

Favorite Dish: Hot chocolate?

Instant Answers: Essen

Comments

Essen Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Essen restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Essen sightseeing.