Essen Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Essen

• RitchiS1's Profile Photo

DER LÖWE: YOU WANT BAVARIAN " HAXE "

by RitchiS1 Written Oct 3, 2004

RESTAURANT DER L��WE ESSEN

HERE YOU CAN GET BAVARIAN MEALS LIKE ( HAXE ) KNUCKLE WITH SAUERKRAUT , THE PRICE DEPEND OF THE WEIGHT OF THE KNUCKLE , 100 gr KNUCKLE COST 0,99 EURO SO THE KNUCKLE IS ABOUT 5 EURO OR MORE

Favorite Dish: HAXE / KNUCKLE WITH SAUERKRAUT WITH MASHED POTATOES AND WHEAT BEER

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo

Yummy lunch 1 !!

by jenniferchin Written Sep 27, 2004

yummmm :-)))

Favorite Dish: Of course the menu was in german, but my wonderful friends painstakingly took the time to go through & explain each of the items.

This Roast Beef dish comes highly recommended by Sandra. Normally, I am not used to potatoes but now, I absolutely adore the way potatoes are prepared here :-))

• RitchiS1's Profile Photo

GEBRANDENHOF: SEAFOOD AND LOCAL FOOD

by RitchiS1 Updated Mar 21, 2004

Gebrandenhof Essen

Nice and old style , built in 1798 , very charming atmosphere .
    You believe you ve come in the 19th century , you get impression of a former farmer .

Favorite Dish: I ve tested the GEBRANDENHOFSPIESS ( grilled meat ) served with rosted potatoes .
    My wife got Pasta with "Flusskrebse" with a curry sauce .
    Both meals ve been very delicious .

• Wine Tasting

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Schnitzel Huber: Get the original schnitzel

by BillNJ Updated May 31, 2008

After VTer Daniela dropped me off at the Essen Hauptbahnhof, I decided to do a little bit more exploring of Essen. Also, since "essen" means to eat in German, I wanted to eat my dinner there.

For dinner, I stopped at a chain restaurant named Schnitzel Huber that is located in the enclosed CityCenter shopping mall. I ordered the original schnitzel, salad, and German potato salad. For a beverage, I had a Stauder Pils and a glass of water.

For a chain restaurant, the quality of the food was excellent. I wish Schnitzel Huber would consider expanding to New Jersey!

Favorite Dish: Original schnitzel

• chancay's Profile Photo

Landhaus am Staadt.: Great ambience

by chancay Updated Apr 4, 2011

A nice Landhaus ambience can be something simple, basic, just rustical (what has really its charme) or like this one - 20 meters from the Ruhr in the surroundings of Essen - a really bourgeoise quite noble ambience and charme what I really liked as well. The lunch we had was very good, although it was not too much...;-))

Favorite Dish: I had Matjes (young heering) with fried potatoes and onions. I like this generally very much and it was deliciously prepared here....but the quantity..... ;-))

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Dunkin' Donuts: America's best coffee and donuts chain!

by BillNJ Written May 31, 2008

I was pleasantly surprised when I came across a Dunkin' Donuts in the enclosed CityCenter mall in the Essen pedestrian zone because it is my favorite coffee chain in the United States. Unfortunately, it was closed on the Sunday that I visited. I thought this was a little unusual because, in the States, most Dunkin' Donuts are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Anyway, since it was closed, I had to wait until my return to New Jersey before I could have a DD hazlenut coffee (my favorite).

Favorite Dish: Hazlenut coffee with skim milk and no sugar

• hundertmorgen's Profile Photo

Restaurant Haferkamp: Unfortunately the owner changed...

by hundertmorgen Updated Apr 4, 2011

... and the restaurant is not the same anymore.

It used to be: Nobly dinner in relaxing surroundings - I loved this food there. It was always fresh, the cook composed unusual recipes and everything tasted really good. Also a nice location for summertime, because of a nice beer garden.

Favorite Dish: all of the seafood

Cafe Solo

by Gili_S Updated Apr 2, 2004

This is relatively new cafe in the centre of the city. I did visit here at morning or evening, for coffee or beer, service was nice too. By the way, this place is also the usual meeting point for VT members as well.

Favorite Dish: Weizen

• hundertmorgen's Profile Photo

Landhaus am Staadt: Local and international food

by hundertmorgen Written Sep 11, 2004

Very nice atmosphere and various kind of food. They have local food, with typical dishes from the ruhr area and also various kinds of pasta, fish and meat.

Every wednesday they play live music there!

• Wine Tasting

• De Prins: Dutch chips and atmosphere

by sabsi Updated Nov 25, 2003

Furry Friends at the wall of De Prins

Sandra showed us this hidden secret in Essen: A Dutch pub!!! Normally we have Dutch chippers at German shopping streets but I have never been to a Dutch pub in Germany!!

It's a great place! You will find lots of Kitsch at the walls, great Dutch snacks, a model railway going around the whole pub over your heads, friendly waiters, smelly T-Shirts for sale and we had a great time here during the VT meeting.

Another great reason for going here: It's very very very cheap! I had chips and Loempia here and together with 2 sauces and 2 drinks I paid less than 8 Euro. I couldn't believe my eyes!

Favorite Dish: Chips with Sate sauce and Garlic sauce.

Nord

by Gili_S Updated Apr 16, 2006

Hungry VT members

This place was just on our way so we stopped here and had another beer. But additional we had also curry wurst, which was great.

Also good here was the music, only rock, no any...
    you know ;-)

Favorite Dish: Curry wurst

• evilboomer's Profile Photo

Eis Casal, Mörchens Eis,...

Eis Casal, Mörchens Eis, Plückthun Eis

Favorite Dish: Do you like Icecream?? Than I have three good Icecafes for you here in Essen you have to visit.
    I visit very often Eis Casal in Frohnhausen, because I lived there awhile and I really love to eat the italian good icecream.

The second one is in Rüttenscheid and is called Mörchens Eis and some say there you get the second best ice in Essen.

The best Ice you get at Plückthun in Kupferdreh. And at Plückthun the icecream is marvelous I think. The best here in Essen. Very creamy!!!

Leon de Belge: Leon de Belge

by evilboomer Written Sep 8, 2002

This Restaurant is also a pub. You can sit very easily and relax on the tables an d have a good talk with your friends and also watch the other guest. Drink some belgium beer and just enjoy the time there.
    The Interiour is very rustical but also some modern elenments are there so it's just a good atmosphere.
    The

Favorite Dish: Now it's the time of mussels and I love this menu there. You got a huge portion with some bread and its tastes really good. Also i can say that the Pommes are great. Most Pommes don't taste very good but these ones tastes like real Pommes. Order them!
    Also I can say it from hearind that the Breadcakes are very good. This is I think some real begium menu. It looks good.

Mongos Bar Restaurant: Mongos Bar Restaurant

by evilboomer Written Sep 8, 2002

It's just fun to make your own menus.
    A great assortment of vegetable: spinachi, garlic, sweet pepper, red onions, ananas, different mushrooms, soyrung, bamboo, broccoli, chinese leaves ...
    Seafruits and fish: mossels, crabs, surimi, octopus, salmon,pike-perch....
    Meat: lamb, pork, chicken, kangaroo, ostrich, beef, rabbit ....
    Fresh and hot cooked, with one of six sauces of your choice.
    For every taste!

Favorite Dish: You can make your own favourite menu from a delicate large assortment of items.
    You will get a bowl and with this bowl you go to the items and pick your favourites together to a good dinner.

Cafe Bar Celona: Cafe Bar Celona

by Gili_S Updated Dec 5, 2004

Nice way they play with the name of this place, I saw it the last time when I was in Essen, with those big windows, looks like a great location in the winter when the sun is shining.
    Next time I will try my breakfast here.

Instant Answers: Essen

Comments

Essen Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Essen restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Essen sightseeing.