In a street there is a dark monument telling a sad story that happened before it even got more dramatic. Goch used to have - as every medieval town in these surroundings - quite a number of jewish citizens. But in the years preceding the second worldwar, Germany was not anymore a safe home for them. The monument recalls that on the night of the 9th and 10th of November 1939 a group of national socialists burned down the synagoge that used to be in this spot.
In 1358 this used to be a beguinage that was situated against the city walls. It changed into the Johannes convent and was that for centuries long. Only in 1802 Marianne van den Bosch took over the almost empty convent and made it into a hospital, named after her father Wilhelm Anton". This was still not the stop of changes as in 1928 the Tertiarinnen founded in this place their convent. In the sisties the building however crumbled apart and only a part of the West side stayed up. The town however saw the importance of this monument and restored it to become the town's bookmaker's shop. the simple style it is rebuilt in reminds of the original.
Behind the Kastell, the cultural and historical museum of Goch, a walkingbridge brings you over the river Niers into a quite and green area that is the small park of Goch. Here one can follow the stream to the next bridge to have a small tour in a very peaceful and quite environment.
The Kastell is between a must see and a off the beaten path tip. It is a modern building that is on a historic place. Here used to be the castle of Goch, but only fundaments are left on which this huge building is made in special style. The Kastell is now housing some conference-rooms, but also the interesting cultural historic museum of Goch and surroundings. For those who want to know much more about this part of germany / the world, it is recommended to take a walk to and through the museum.