The Saint Maria-Magdalena is the main catholic church of Goch. Here used to be a chapel already in the beginning of the 14th century. Howeve, what you see is not older then the 50'ies of last century as the second worldwar destroyed the church that was fighting against the centuries to stay up. Well, that one can't built as proper as one used to do was proved in 1993, when during a fierce storm the tower collapsed. Luckely no people were injured and yet again the Goch inhabitants started restoring the highest part of other church. This time the tower became quite modern and "stiff". Especially in the evening alumination, the tower is nothing of the historic building that it used to be.
Walking around the centre of Goch one can see perfect examples of various architectural styles. From neo classic to baroc and from late gothic to jugend style. The mixture of these houses gives a special, yet a bit chaotic. Still I enjoyed this and some other examples can be seen in the attached travellogue.
On the marketsquare of Goch there is a very beautiful clock across the road of the town hall. This "carrillion" contains 18 bells and on top a clockwork. It is in shrill contrast to the open square and plays it's clear happy songs over it every hour around the clock.
This magnificent house, just besides the marketsquare dates all the way back to 1500. It is the last late gotic patricians houses of Goch and thanks it's name for the brewery that was located in it in the 18th century. It even has the name to be the most beautiful civilian house in the whole Lower Rhine section of Germany.
In Goch alerady was a religious guesthouse on the marketsquare in 1358. It became knowns as the house of the holy spirit and later became a reformed church. As the church looks now it only was formed in 1700 and renovated in baroc in the year 1889. The church was completely destroyed by a bombing on february 7th 1945, but on the 14th of March 1951 it was reopened in old splendour. Goch has mixed religious inhabitants, partly catholic and partly reformed. For this last group this is the main church.
A walk along the small river Niers should not be forgotten when visiting Goch. This small waterstream was responsible for much of the importnace that this German town had in medieval times. It formed the main connection to the surrounding area and offered connections to many large towns in The Netherlands as well as Germany and even Belgium. One can now hardly imagine that such small river could in any way transport enough goods away and into the town.
The "Steintor" (Stone Gate) is the only remaining city gate from medieval wall that surrounded the then quite powerful town. It is a so called double-towered gate, as the doorway is situated between two towers connected together. The towers walls are over one meter thick and count three levels. Over the gate one can clearly see the gutter through which hot peck or oil was thrown to attackers. One part of the gate was the gatekeepers house, another was used as a prison and weaponslayer. The gate is for sure the number one on Goch's monuments list.
Since 150 years the marketsquare of Goch is the centre of a traditional flax-market. This happens in the months October and November on the last Tuesday. The market gets filled with salesmen for all kinds of stuff, but above all textiles and some household equipment. The October-market is combined with the yearly fair ("Kermis").
Since the year 1847 however this market was there for the flax. The freshly harvested flax was brought in wagonloads to Goch and was sold here. It was one of the largest falx-markets in the wide surroundings and German and Dutch traders were buying there hearts out.