The Franciscan Monastery was built between around 1630 with a restoration and extension added in 1748. In the late 18th century the French Revolution army drove away the monks and the monastery was used as a military hospital. The building became a grammar school until 1910 and in 1912 the Kramer-Museum was founded in the ground floor. The upper...more
Built in 1481, the purpose of the tower mill was as a supplier of flour in the event of the town being put under siege. The mill was located on the south-west side of town where the wind direction was at its strongest. In 1642 a Hessian-French army laid siege to the town and entered via a breach in the wall adjacent to the mill. The mill was...more
Behind the facades of the houses in this street are some half-timbered houses showing that they were built around 1510, the upper floors are typical with their overhang above the street. These houses were modernised during the 19th century when they lost their traditional timbered appearance.August 2010more
Of the four city gates which originally gained access to Kempen, only the “Cow gate” remains. The name is derived from when it led to a cattle drive to pasture land north of the town. The original gate was built in 1350 with the current one being rebuilt between 1896 and 1898 when a third floor and Gothic towers added.August 2010more
For over 100 years the children of Kempen have celebrated the feast of St. Martin by parading through the town with homemade torches. The bronze sculpture group shows children with torches and St. Martin. The figures were designed by sculptor Michael Franke of Ershausen, Thüringen with the unveiling on 6 December 2004.August 2010more
Thomas von Kempis (1380 – 25 July 1471) was a late Medieval Catholic monk and is credited as the author of The Imitation of Christ, one of the most celebrated devotional books of all time. His name means "Thomas of Kempen", his home town. The statue was unveiled in 8 June 1901.August 2010more
Kempen is a nice place to shop, the town centre is made up of lots of small pedestrianised streets that are also used by cyclists due to the town being a member of the working group" Bicycle friendly cities and municipalities in North Rhine-Westphalia”.