Münster Favorites

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

University

by Kathrin_E Written Aug 28, 2009

Schloss

Favorite thing: Münster’s university with about 30.000 students strongly influences the city’s atmosphere. The centre of the university is located west of the river Aa in the inner city, along Universitätsstraße (sic!). The Schloss is another important centre, and of course the huge hospitals and clinics further west.

Everything students need to know can be found in the university's website.

Fondest memory: 30.000 young adults in town mean a lively nightlife, pubs and shops that cater for young people, many cyclists in the streets…

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

life is full

by richiecdisc Written Jan 5, 2008

some great people indeed

Fondest memory: We sat ourselves down and ordered the first round of many beers and purveyed the menu even though I’d read it in the States many times in anticipation of the day. The beer and food were mostly up to expectations though when one expects so much it’s a tall order. It was fun seeing old friends we’d not seen for a year. It’s not easy when you live 4700 miles from each other. Laughter ensued; time flew. Soon enough we moved onto the next pub since our table time was over. Sabsi and Thomas would head back to Düsseldorf and we’d go back to Pinkus Müller to find it still full. The hostel and some Grand Cru that Caro had brought from Belgium were calling. It wasn’t too late a night. After all, we’d not slept more than four hours the night before on our long flight over. And besides, we would have an early morning wake up call. It would be my birthday and we’d hit two more breweries in Düsseldorf for the occasion: all that and a flight to Dresden to finally be re-united with my wife’s family. They say life is full but mostly I say life is full of the great people you surround yourself with.

• Beer Tasting

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

a dream unfolds in the real

by richiecdisc Written Jan 5, 2008

Caro & Thomas dig in

Favorite thing: I'll have to admit I wasn't in Münster long enough to really see it but I think even if I had been my favorite part of the town would be the Pinkus Müller brewery. Despite somewhat high prices it's exactly what I think about when I dream of Germany. Old World traditions, lots of dark wood and a warm cozy feeling.

Fondest memory: We’d managed to meet VTers Sabsi and Thomas at the Düsseldorf airport easily enough. It was particularly routine since we’d done the exact same thing a year ago. It was also simple enough getting a train to Münster though the initial part of the trip was crowded and we’d had to stand. The hostel was easy to find, a mere block from the station. They’d managed to rent our room despite our booking it weeks earlier and confirming it a few days prior to arrival, but no worries. We would wind up having the whole dorm to ourselves due to my wife’s shrewd knowledge of the German hotel code of ethics.

At last we were free to explore but more than that, a day dream we’d had hundreds of times was about to unfold in the real. We’d met up with yet another fellow VTer Caro and began our walk through the Old Town of Münster in brisk fashion. Not only was it quite cold but it was late in the afternoon and with the dismal weather and time of year it would soon be dark. No matter, Christmas markets are best in the dark and it was prime season here in Münster as evidenced by the throngs of tourists flocking the streets. We soon tired of the crowds and got onto the real course of action: Pinkus Müller Brewery. It was a bit out of the center but a quick enough walk. We arrived to a cozy traditional restaurant full of dark wood, tiles and oozing of old world charm. Unfortunately every table was reserved but luckily not for a couple hours from our arrival time. I was admonished for not making a reservation even though weeks earlier no on had heard of my brewery so I figured it might not be very popular. (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

• Beer Tasting

Munster - History IV

Munster - Old City

Favorite thing: Another important historical mark - the Muenster congress in 1645-1648. The Westphalian peace treaty was prepared there. It put an end to Thirty-year war. Now in an old Rathaus it is possible to visit a magnificent hall in which the peace agreement was signed.

In 1803 the Muenster episcopacy was secularized, and its grounds passed to Prussia. In 1815 Muenster became an administrative centre of a Prussian province Westphalia.

Munster - History III

Munster - St Paul Cathedral

Favorite thing: Commune of Munster (Kommune von Munster) left an appreciable trace in its history. The commune was established in the city by the authority of Anabaptists. They proclaimed, that a person should be christened again already at conscious age.

In 1534 Anabaptists got the majority in the city council and expelled from the city everyone who did not share their religious beliefs. The authority was concentrated in hands of "the main prophet" of Anabaptists - John Matiss. After his dearth there was John Leiden in the head of the commune who proclaimed himself as the tsar of "New Zion" (Anabaptists named Munster by such a name) and the future lord of the world.

The city was proclaimed the uniform commune of "true Christians". The city had to play a role of a stronghold of the future world "thousand-year Christian empire". Medieval communards socialized property, abolished money, forbade trade, ordered labor duty and polygamy. The commune of Munster held on till summer of 1535 when the city was grasped by armies of bishop, and its leaders were executed.

Münster - History II

M��nster - Uberwasserkirche

Favorite thing: Münster was formed around of the Episcopal residence established in 804 and known in past by its name Mimigardeford. In 1137 Münster (the city got such a name in 1068) was allocated with the city rights, and bishops of Münster became imperial counts.

The city turned to the significant trading center in XIV-XVI centuries and entered in the Hansa union.

Münster - History I

M��nster - Cathedral

Favorite thing: Traces of twelve century history are visible on the each street of Muenster. The city was founded in the end of the VIII century by the king of francs Charles the Great. The powerful king ordered to construct a men monastery in the city and named it on-latinium - Monasterium.

However muffled Westfallen speech altered this word, and transformed it in Munster, that means - a monastery. A missionary Ludiger - subsequently Sacred Ludiger - was appointed as a prior of the monastery.

• Gillianina's Profile Photo

Student city Münster

by Gillianina Updated Mar 2, 2005

My friends and I at Muenster's railway station

Favorite thing: Münster is located in nort-west Germany in the region of Nordrhein Westfalen. It has 280.000 ihnabitants, of which about 50.000 are students..amazing, isn't it? Having made up my mind that I wanted to study one year in Germany, which other city could have been better? :-) There's one thing I'd like to tell: as soon as I arrived in Münster Railway Station, in the main hall there was a big sign: "Münster, lebendige Mitte Westfalens, herzlich wilkommen"!!! (lively centre of Westfalen: welcome)..I immediately thought: cool, this is the place!!!! .-))))

Fondest memory: the trips to the nearby cities with my friends (Osnabrück and Dortmund seem to be quite frequent, although not wanted!), Umsteigenmöglichkeit zu den Stadt und regionalbuslinien, tea afternoons in Wohneim´s rooms, the nights with my friends in our favourite pubs, such as Destille, partys, the bakeries (down with the diet!), the russian course (oops..I forgot to do my homework!), watching soccer matches on tv in order to spot cute players (!!), cocktail happy hour in Enchilada (white russian for ever!), and many many others.. :-)

• milugares's Profile Photo

Promenade

by milugares Written Dec 3, 2003

Favorite thing: The Promenade is a car-free "street" which surrounds and circles the city centrum.
    Until the XIX century, the city walls stood there.
    Nowadays, a green area - including some water pods - has taken their place.

It is a nice place to go for a walk, as well as a cycling way

Gabled houses

by DanielF Written May 17, 2003

Modern gabled houses

Favorite thing: When it came to rebuld the city after the destruction in the war, the local authorities were wise enough to restore the most interesting buildings to their original form and to dessign the new buildings in a style that perfectly matches with the oold gabled houses.

• Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo

Romanic and Gothic Sankt Paulus-dom

by Pavlik_NL Written Dec 31, 2002

Saint Paulus Dom-church

Favorite thing: In the centre of Münster's Altstadt is the very old Dom-church of St. Paulus. Already in the 9th century there stood a church on this place and the present one has it's foundations and walls from the 12th century. The first signs of the church show mainly Romanic architecture, but taking a closer look, one can find fine Gothic facades on either side of the main "ship".
    Truely a very old building with inside another ancient miracle. Walking through the rightflank corridor behind the altar, one can find a magnificent old astronomical clock from the 16th century.

Fondest memory: Ilja gazing at the old clock and recognising it as being one, pointing at it, then looking atme with big eyes and softly whisper: "Tik Tak ... Tik Tak ... Tik Tak". 14 months old! Is he not a clever little boy?

Art in the streets

by DanielF Updated May 18, 2003

Favorite thing: Modern sculptures in front of the Barroque Dominique church on the Salt Street, one of the most important shopping areas in the city.

Post-War architecture

by DanielF Written May 18, 2003

Favorite thing: German post-war architecture is not for everybody's taste, but I do appreciate it and, sometimes, you can even find such imaginative buildings as this one.

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

The old town

by Carmela71 Updated Feb 27, 2003

Favorite thing: The old town is very good conserved.

At the end you will see the Lamberti-Church with a great history

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

View from Home

by Carmela71 Written Jan 15, 2003

views from home

Favorite thing: The views from my attic, were phantastic.... all gardens... also was a great room!

I love it!

The whole experience in Germany was phantastic!

• Work Abroad

Instant Answers: Münster

Comments

Münster Favorites

Reviews and photos of Münster favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Münster sightseeing.