Winterberg Local Customs

Yes, we did it!
    by Jerelis
    Here we go ... Flugel time.
    by Jerelis
    Running ... while skiing :)

Most Recent Local Customs in Winterberg

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Rewarded ourselves for bravery.

by Jerelis Written Feb 20, 2013
    Yes, we did it!

The ski resort of Winterberg only has one black piste to ski on. But what is a black piste exactly? It's a piste that is not often prepared by a piste machine. Depending where you are in the world it can be the hardest (Europe) or second hardest to double black pistes (North America).

To be honest I am not the best skier on the planet and getting down the black piste truly means that I have to overcome some fear before deciding to go downhill. To get my act together I gave myself a nice reward afterwards ... a Flugel! :) ...

My tip: don't drink the Flugel before going downhill, because this drink made of Vodka and Red Bull might give you the wrong idea of speeding on the track, not something you want to happen on a black piste.

Graded for difficulty.

by Jerelis Written Feb 20, 2013
    Red rated piste behind me.

Pistes are also graded for difficulty. Sadly, this doesn't work as well for the visitor or potential visitor as you might expect. For a start, there are different grading systems. In Europe, the basic grading goes from blue (easy) through red to black (difficult). France adds green, effectively splitting the blue category into green (really easy, in theory) and blue (not quite so easy).

When considering a visit to a particular resort you need to treat piste gradings with some skepticism. The most you can expect is that the gradings will accurately reflect the relative steepness of the slopes within that resort. Taking this into consideration Winterberg does have 2 blue pistes, a lot of red rated pistes and only one black piste.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Talko to someone who knows ...

by Jerelis Written Feb 13, 2012

Running ... while skiing :)

I guess we all agree on this on; there is nothing more exciting than going travelling - exploring another country, experiencing a different culture, travelling around in new ways, sampling the local cuisine and chatting to the local people for a different perspective on life.

However during our travels we learned that there is one certain thing that you should be aware of and prepared for to make sure that the trip is as easy and enjoyable as possible. We always try to see everything once we're there, but this is not always an act of responsible travelling. We always talk to the locals and we know that they have the information about just the right spots to visit and how to undertake them. It will not only enhance your experiences but also avoid any unnecessary hassles.

For me the travel tips I have written down in this section made the most of mine travel experience and I came home in the same happy, healthy state that I left.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

Voltage, frequency and plug ins.

by Jerelis Written Feb 13, 2012

Two round pins system.

Maybe it sounds a bit weird, but as an experience traveler I know that you every now and then need this kind of information in advance: electricity in Germany is 230 Volts, alternating at 50 cycles per second. If you travel to Germany with a device that does not accept 230 Volts at 50 Hertz, you will need a voltage converter.

There are three main types of voltage converter. Resistor-network converters will usually be advertised as supporting something like 50-1600 Watts. They are light-weight and support high-wattage electrical appliances like hair dryers and irons. However, they can only be used for short periods of time and are not ideal for digital devices. Some companies sell combination converters that include both a resistor network and a transformer in the same package. This kind of converter will usually come with a switch that switches between the two modes. If you absolutely need both types of converter, then this is the type to buy.

Outlets in Germany generally accept 1 type of plug: Two round pins (see the picture). If your appliances plug has a different shape, you may need a plug adapter. Depending on how much you plan to travel in the future, it may be worthwhile to get a combination voltage converter and plug adapter.

Instant Answers: Winterberg

Comments

Winterberg Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Winterberg local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Winterberg sightseeing.