Altenkirchen Travel Guide

Traditional architecture in Altenkirchen
  • Santas climbing the building (Christmas decoration
    Santas climbing the building (Christmas...
    How to get there, Altenkirchen

Altenkirchen Things to Do

• Exploring Wilhelm Street

This is the central street of the city where different rallies and Christmas market take place. It is also the central shopping street in Altenkirchen.So when in Altenkirchen - take a stroll along this beautiful old street.The building on the picture is rather rare. It dates back to the beginning of the 18th century and belongs to Priviligierte...

• Admiring the City Architecture

Why not have a ride about the city stopping now and then to take a walk for a couple of photo session?I have been to lots of places in Altenkirchen and have good memories of them.Here are some of my pictures.Picture1 and 2 show Bismark Tower built in 1912 - there's a nice view over the city from there;Picture 3 - St.Jacob's Cathedral - my host...

• Altenkirchen Hotels

0 Hotels in Altenkirchen

Altenkirchen Restaurants

by hunterV Updated May 20, 2011

Westerwälder Hof Country Inn is where we had a wonderful farewell dinner with my host family and their friends during my last visit to Altenkirchen.
    It was my third visit to that place and I am sure I will be there again when I revisit Altenkirchen.

Favorite Dish: - baked camembert;
    - pork goulash;
    - Mexiko pork schnitzel;
    - beef soup with Markklösschen.

Westerw��lder Hof Westerw��lder Hof Westerw��lder Hof

Altenkirchen Transportation

by hunterV Updated Jun 22, 2009

The town is about an hour drive from Cologne.
    It is better to drive to the town for if you choose the railroad,
    it will take you an hour an a half to get to Cologne via the town of Au.
    You will have to take two trains:
    Cologne - Au
    and Au - Altenkirchen.

On the way to Cologne: Au Station Herfen Taxi in and around Altenkirchen Coat-of-arms of Altenkirchen County A folk dance group from Luhansk in Altenkirchen How to get there, Altenkirchen

Altenkirchen Shopping

• City Stores

"Lidl" along with "toom Markt" are two of the stores my host family and I frequented.We also managed to see the local flee market, but just for the sake of seeing it. Nothing to suit us on that day... food and drink 50 Euro

• Central Street

I liked browsing local shops in this street.On weekends you can do your shopping at the farmers' market that is organized here at the central square.

• Don't Forget Insurance

If your current health insurance doesn't cover you while your abroad, you should consider getting international travel insurance just in case something should go wrong.

Altenkirchen Local Customs

• Terrasenfest

A terrace holiday in private households is popular here like in many other German towns and cities. During my last stay in Altenkirchen I was privileged to help my host family cook the dinner. Then we sat comfortably to consume it and to enjoy our company and conversation.

• School Concerts

Schools in Altenkirchen have very spacious and nice assembly halls and gyms that often receive city concerts or meetings.During our stay in Altenkirchen County in May 2002 our folk dance group gave a concert in the assembly hall of Westerwald Gymnasium - a high school downtown.The hall seated a small audience and served its purpose well.

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Altenkirchen? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Altenkirchen Off The Beaten Path

by hunterV Updated Dec 29, 2014

Unlike the Former Soviet Union countries (Ukraine or Russia), visiting a war memorial has never been a must in Germany for our delegations or groups. In fact, I have only visited this memorial during my last trip to Altenkirchen and only because I wanted to have a good view of the city from the hill. The war memorial turned out to be on the hill far from downtown... So my host took me to the hill. As he explained, nobody really goes up there except the local young people who turned the memorial into their weekend hangout.
    The memorial looks very special indeed. It contains memorial plaques with the names of all city residents who were KIA, MIA or died during the allies' bombing of the city during the Second World War.

The war memorial in Altenkirchen The eagle at the war memorial in Altenkirchen A view of the city from the war memorial Memorial plaques at the war memorial,Altenkirchen Memorial plaques at the war memorial,Altenkirchen

Altenkirchen Sports & Outdoors

by hunterV Written Aug 12, 2007

I have good memories of my first experience of playing nine-pin bowling in Altenkirchen.
    My host family and their friends invited me to their traditional game to "Westerwälder Hof" hotel+restaurant.
    I managed to score some points, too.
    Thanks for the unforgettable experience, friends!

Not a winner yet, but having fun.... Westerw��lder Hof

Altenkirchen Favorites

by hunterV Updated May 20, 2011

Favorite thing: Here are some useful links:
    "Mirror Tent" cultural event in September

e-mail: tourist-info@vg-altenkirchen.de

www.vg-altenkirchen.de

Map of Altenkirchen County www.ww-events-online.de

Instant Answers: Altenkirchen

Comments

Map of Altenkirchen