Bacharach Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Bacharach

Altes Haus: Downtown Dinner

by travelfrosch Updated Feb 19, 2014

Altes Haus

An interesting experience was sitting outside at the Altes Haus, a very famous (and supposedly romantic) restaurant in the center of town. Since we had an infant in tow, however, it was prudent for us to enjoy one of the more modest outside tables. Service, food, and wine were very good... but I must admit it was somewhat unnerving for cars to pass (literally!) within inches of our seats as they drove by. The inebriated local who kept staggering over to "play" with Minifrosch didn't help the atmosphere much, either.

Favorite Dish: I had the Sülze (aspic of pork) with hard-boiled egg and vegetables. Sara had some tortellini with grated cheese and spinach. The glass of wine I had was very good, while Sara enjoyed her riesling traubensaft (grape juice).

• TomInGermany's Profile Photo

Kleines Brauhaus – Bacchusbräu: Beer, Bacharach and a Merry-go-round

by TomInGermany Written Jul 17, 2012
    Not the easiest place to find

I’ve been to Bacharach several times and never noticed this restaurant. What I did notice was some signs along the road pointing to a beer garden as well as what appeared to be an old merry-go-round up on the hill. It was only after researching on the breweries in the area that I found out that Bacharach has it’s very own brewery. Granted, it is a small brewery. Their motto on their web page is “One of the smallest breweries in Germany”. Their small size doesn’t keep them from brewery four different beers: Weizen, Helles, Dunkles and Doppelbock or keep them from having a really nice location for their beer garden – overlooking the Rhine river. Speaking of their beer garden, part of it is actually inside the old merry-go-around you can see as you drive along the main road.

While I liked the location of the place, the idea of having a beer garden in a merry-go-round and the fact that our server was the wife of the brew master, I didn’t like their beers and their food was pretty plain. I was able to get a sampler so tried all four of their beers and not one of them got me excited or wanting me to return for another sampling. As for their food, it seemed like it was pre-packaged.

Favorite Dish: They did have one dish that was cheese, on top of ham, which was on top of bread which was pretty good.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Beate's Cafe and Zurkupferkanne: Two in one

by Maryimelda Updated Jun 7, 2012

Two together on the right

Since these two eateries are right next door to each other and I only have external photos, I thought it best to combine the two into one review.

We had dinner in Zur Kupferkanne on the night we arrived in Bacharach. The restaurant is quite small and was full when we arrived so we were shown to a lovely little courtyard in the rear of the building. Sadly I took no pics of the courtyard or of what we ate but I know that all three of us enjoyed our meals very much. The food was typical of the area and the wine was great. This restaurant is certainly worth a visit if ever you are overnighting in Bacharach.

Next door is Beate's Cafe which is largely a coffee and cake sort of place. They do serve a lovely breakfast on Sundays but I was just there for the Kaffe and Kuchen as I had already had my breakfast. The coffee was superb and the lemon and custard tart melted in my mouth. Very reasonably priced as well. In the photo, the green building on your right is Zur Kupfukanne and the brown building with the flower pots is Beate's Cafe.

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Guenderodehaus - das "Heimat 3" - Filmhaus: excellent local food & a perfect Rhine - view

by globetrott Updated Sep 12, 2011

The very best thing about Guenderodehaus is its location high above the river Rhine. This building was transferred from a village closeby and totally restored on the place where it is standing now, for a TV-movie called "Heimat 3"
    It is used as a restaurant nowadays, I really enjoyed sitting under the giant tree that you will see in my 3rd picture.
    The service is a bit slow, so it makes sense to come here mainly when you have a lot of time to spend there, 1 person is doing the service.

Favorite Dish: As a starter I had a goat-camambert that was served with bread, jelly and grape-oil: a wonderfull combination. and my maincourse was Flammkuchen / Flammkuechle, a local dish similar to Pizza, but no tomatoes at all, but leek and cheese plus a special garlic-cream, that makes the main ingredients of a Flammküchle.

• klasher's Profile Photo

Rhein Terrace: Beer Garden in Bacharach

by klasher Updated Nov 5, 2010

On the North side of town offf of the main street is a small beer garden/restaurant with terrace seating overlooking the Rhine. We had giant schnitzals and beer as we dined watching the boats drift by. Excellent place for outdoor enjoyment.

Eiscafe Italia 76: Yummy Italian-style Gelato

by travelfrosch Written Aug 22, 2010

Eiscafe Italia 76

It seems Italian-style gelaterie (ice cream parlors) are all the rage on the German tourist scene nowadays. No complaints here. A tasty example is the Italian ice cream shop right downtown. Known in some guidebooks as simply "Eis Cafe Italia," this place offers very tasty cream and fruit based gelati. This is a great place to cap off a dinner and a romantic stroll with a sweet treat.

Favorite Dish: I'm a sucker for Stracciatella, so I had a kugel (scoop) of that. Sara was fond of the Zitrone (lemon). The Riesling-flavored ice cream comes highly recommended as well.

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

RheinTerrasse: Microbrewery in the Wine Capital of Germany?

by travelfrosch Written Aug 10, 2010

The old carousel turned biergarten

The Mini-Meet crowd wandered up Koblenzerstrasse to explore the town. Don wanted to swing by the Rhine Theater on the north side of town, so we traveled in that general direction. To our surprise, we found the theater also operated a biergarten. We stopped for a quick beverage that night, but Ingrid, Sara, Ryan and I came back the next day for lunch. It was quite a surprise to find a place specializing in beer along the Rhine, but the service, food, and beer were just fine.

Favorite Dish: I had Flammkuchen, an Alsatian dish that's sort of a cross between a pizza and a crêpe. The home-brewed beer, Bacchusbräu, was unfiltered, inexpensive, and tasty.

• Beer Tasting

Hahnenhof (Weingut Toni Jost): Tasty Wine and Snacks

by travelfrosch Updated Aug 10, 2010

Hahnenhof

Along the Rhine and Mosel, you can sometimes get an inexpensive meal at a wine shop or wine cellar. While the menu can be limited, the dishes offered are designed to go well with the wines on sale. This particular one offers very good wine with tasty food at reasonable prices. With a baby in tow, we were happy to sit in the courtyard and sample the wares offered by the Toni Jost winery.

Favorite Dish: I had the "pressack" (head cheese) with vinegar, onions, and pickles. While at first glance that doesn't sound like it would go well with wine, I reasoned that they wouldn't offer it if it didn't. Sure enough, it did go extremely well with the glass of halbtrocken (semi-dry) Spätlese I ordered. Sara had an omelet and a bottle of very tasty estate traubensaft (grape juice).

Restaurant Kranenturm: Dinner Amid the Screaming Trains

by travelfrosch Written Aug 8, 2010

Enjoying a Mini-Meet along the tracks

The "Mini-Meet for Minifrosch" met here at the Restaurant Kranenturm. The food was fresh and tasty, and the service was very good. You have the choice of dining indoors, or outside on the patio overlooking the tracks. While the patio is very scenic, be warned the trains scream by at irregular intervals. Despite the risks, we chose to have the meeting and dinner outside. All had a very enjoyable time.

Favorite Dish: On special was freshly caught trout, pan-fried and served in a lemon-caper sauce with boiled potatoes. Sara, Don, and I had that, and enjoyed it very much. Ingrid, who arrived a bit later, had a pasta dish.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

Kranenturm: VirtualTourist meeting at the Kranenturm

by Nemorino Updated Jul 19, 2010

1. Sara, Ryan and Mark at the Kranenturm

Photos:
    1. Sara, Ryan and Mark at the Kranenturm
    2. Ryan
    3. Ryan

Six-month-old Ryan was in Europe for the first time and he was the guest of honor at this mini-VT-meeting. With enough cushions to prop him up he was able to sit with us and look very attentively with wide-open eyes at everything that was going on.

Except the trains. He didn't pay much attention to the trains, even though they passed by every few minutes just a few meters from our table. We adults had to interrupt our conversation when a train came through, especially if it was a freight train ("goods train" to you) since a lot of the older freight cars are still quite noisy. The technology to quiet them exists, but it has to be decided on, ordered, installed and paid for.

Ryan's parents, Mark (travelfrosch) and Sara (sarams), had just arrived with him from New York. They knew Bacharach from a previous visit and decided to make this their first stop on their 2010 tour. I came up from Frankfurt to meet them, and a bit later Ingrid (trekki) came up from Darmstadt.

The Kranenturm ("crane tower") restaurant is right on the old city wall and belongs to the hotel of the same name. There are six outdoor tables, and the people at all six of them were speaking English as far as I could tell. Later the waiter was quite startled when Ingrid and I spoke a bit of German for some reason.

I forget what Ingrid ate, but the rest of us all ordered the fried trout (Forelle Müllerin), which was really tasty. After supper we had a walk down along the river bank and then up through the town, stopping for ice cream on the way and later for drinks by the theater at an old carousel that had been saved and converted into an outdoor café.

• Trains

• littlebush's Profile Photo

Burg Stahleck bistro: The only place open in November

by littlebush Written Dec 6, 2008

The Burg Stahleck cafe/bistro in on the main street at number 6, Blucher Strasse.
    It was only place open at night in November!
    They do the best pizza ive ever had!!!
    It was 32 euros for 2 pizzas and a bottle of wine.
    Its only a small place but the owner was friendly.

• Weinhaus -Der Altes Haus: Skip a castle for a fine meal ...

by joneseyg Updated Oct 26, 2006

Weinhaus Altes haus

The oldest building in Bacharach - and a wonderful meal to boot. This was a Rick Steves recommendation - but luckily we didn't encounter a tour group, and took our time to have a mid-day dinner that was one of the best of our trip, in an exceptional setting.

And - true to service in Germany - you are allowed all the time in the world to savor your meal. Don't miss this if you have the opportunity to visit Bacharach - but please, don't rush through.

Weinhaus Altes Haus offered intriguing, tempting entrees and marvelous service. The desserts were not as unique, but excellent ( e.g., ice cream with a superb raspberry sauce, the best strudel).

Favorite Dish: Try whatever seduces your taste buds - it will be delicious.

• Trains

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Restaurant "Alte Münze": dining where the mint-masters once did work

by globetrott Updated Jul 22, 2006

Restaurant

This is my favorite restaurant in Bacharach, partly because of the great half-timbered-facade, but also for the great food !
    The Restaurant "Alte Münze" in Bacharach was built into the building, where gold-coins were produced between 1356 und 1508 , according to a priviledge by emperor Karl IV in 1356.
    Nowadays the building is a great restaurant and cafe with a nice restaurant-garden and cosy rooms inside - see my pics ! Also the building itself looks really great with the halftimbered facade.

Favorite Dish: I had "Rheinischer Sauerbraten" and really enjoyed it ! You might be surprised to find raisins in the gravy that is served with the beef, but you will soon find out, it tastes really great !

• Architecture

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Zur Kupferpfanne: Zur Kupferpfanne

by Sjalen Updated Sep 10, 2002

We had fish which was fine but there are also more typical German meat dishes. A pub/restaurant with friendly staff and the only thing I can say against it is that it was a bit smoky.

Favorite Dish: Various German dishes

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo

Cafe Haus Stiehl: A cozy cafe

by Toshioohsako Written Mar 29, 2010

Its a well decorated (modern) and clean coffee shop. One is very much tempted to have a cup of coffee/tea.
    Its located in the center of the main street.

Favorite Dish: Coffee and local cake

Instant Answers: Bacharach

Comments

Bacharach Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bacharach restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bacharach sightseeing.