The "Red Wine Trail" winds itself through the entire Ahr valley, mostly on its sunny south side, where also most of the vineyards are located. The trail offers breathtaking views down into the vally. Most of it is paved, so it would be suitable for wheelchair users, although there are many short, but steep drops and climbs.
IMPORTANT: There also is a great bike trail down in the valley.
For decades the government bunker in Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler was the most secret building complex in the Federal Republic of Germany. The end of the East-West conflict sounded the death-knell of the monstrous complex. It is now being converted into a museum
In the era of the Cold War the subterranean building was officially known as the "Emergency Seat of the Constitutional Organs of the Federal Republic in case of Crises and Defence". The Emergency Seat was originally a 19-kilometre-long subterranean network of tunnels. It contained 895 offices, 936 dormitories, five canteens and command centres, a dental surgery, a medical unit and a hairdressing salon. In case of war 3,000 persons from public life were to be protected there from a nuclear, biological or chemical attack. The most expensive building complex in the Federal Republic of Germany was not officially closed until 1997.
In March 1980 during the construction of a road on the outskirts of Ahrweiler workmen discovered the remains of an ancient building, which turned out to be quiet a sensational archeological fine. After 10 years of excavation the discovered building turned out to be a large, well preserved country mansion with a separated spacious bathhouse. It was constructed at the end of the 1st century when the area was governed as a Roman province. The large Roman style house was inhabited permanently during the 2nd and 3rd century. It was home an extended family of about 10 to 20 person. Whethere the inhabitants were Romans or Romanized Germans is unknown, but from writings on the walls it is certain that proper Latin was spoken inside the house.
There are loads of lovely places here to get great icecream! Choose one - it's the perfect thing to do after shopping on a summer's afternoon. I can't remember the name of the place we had ours but the waitress was friendly and it seemed popular with the locals! :))
Situated in the Eifel mountains, Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler is the delightful capital of the Ahrweiler district in Rhineland Pfalz. We spent a little while just strolling around the town centre just window shopping and enjoying the summer afternoon. There is a good variety of shops here and lots of cafes/restaurants etc. When we visited there was also a market going on in the square. This is a really delightful, traditional town with beautiful old buildings and friendly atmosphere.
The Weiße Turm (white tower, Europe's northernmost dynasty tower) contains the Museum der Stadt (town museum). The museum shows ancient Roman finds, medieval religious art, the silver treasure of the riflemen's guild, and an exhibition on the town's history in the 19th century when the thermal springs were discovered and the rise of the spa town began.
"Downtown" Bad Neuenahr has a number of nice little shops, cafes, galleries, wine stores in the pedestrian zone in Poststraße, Kreuzstraße and Ahrstraße.
Since the average age of the visitors to this place is about 70, the fashion shops are mostly devoted to this clientele and their taste.
Such is the nightlife, which is practically non-existent. It's hard to find anything like a pub that's open after 10 p.m. Bring a corkscrew and buy your own in a shop...
Apollinaris, "The Queen Of Table Waters", is known worldwide. Did you know that the queen's throne, pardon: spring, is situated in - Bad Neuenahr?
In 1852 a winemaker bought a vineyard West of Ahrweiler. The vines he planted, however, wouldn't thrive. He tried to find out why and discovered a mineral spring.
Within a couple of years the new spa town of Bad Neuenahr emerged from nothing.
The Apollinaris spring is situated East of the town center of Bad Neuenahr. There is a fountain outside the factory where you can take the water for free - bring a bottle.
The first protestant church in the entirely Catholic Ahr valley was built for the visitors of the new spa in the late 19th century. In the 1950s the growing community had the church extended. All that's left of the original church is the facade towards the Kurgarten bridge, inside you'll find a church room in pure 1950s architecture and decoration.
Swimming and relaxing in warm water, being massaged by bubbles and streams - my favourite thing (well, one of my favourite things).
The website has all details in English and better pictures - no need to repeat everything here. Enjoy!
The gothic church of St. Laurentius is the catholic parish church of the town. The church was erected in the 13th and early 14th century. It is one of the few medieval buildings that survived the fire of 1689.
The old town of Ahrweiler may meet people's ideas of a 'medieval' place.
Well, the town was burnt to ashes by the French in the wars of 1689, so with the exception of the walls and gates, the main church and the white tower there isn't much medieval left. The general appearance is more 19th century historism. Anyway, it's a romantic little town to walk through and quite enjoyable.
The paintings on the facade of this house praise the growing and making of the wine:
"From the grape into the bucket,
from the bucket to the barrel,
from the barrel, oh what joy,
into the bottle and the glass."
The synagogue was built in 1894 in the so-called Moorish style - note the horse-shoe shaped arches of the windows. In 1938 the building was devastated by the Nazis, the last Jewish inhabitants of Ahrweiler were deported in 1942. Since then there has been no Jewish community in town.
In 1981 a private initiative of Ahrweiler citizens bough the building and restored it. Since then it has been used for cultural events.
The medieval fortifications of Ahrweiler, mostly 14th century, are remarkably well preserved. The 8 m high wall ring round the old town centre is still almost complete. Four gate towers serve as entrances and exits to all directions.
The Niedertor ("lower gate") is the town's gate to the East, direction Bad Neuenahr and downstream towards the Rhine valley.