Baumholder Restaurants

by ppgbc

Most Recent Restaurants in Baumholder

• Oishii: Sushi in Baumholder

by shellshok Written Apr 11, 2010

Review: Oishii is run by the folks at Hong Kong 97 but their Japanese food is much better than their Chinese. The menu is in German so brush up on what the meats are so you can figure out what you're actually eating. Have to stay on your server if you have the younger lady as she will forget your order & never stop to see if you want more. I waited about 30+ mins on my 1st order since they brought out all the grilled food first. It's all you can eat & everything is made to order. You're limited to 5 items on your first order & then you can get what you want after that. I tried all the maki I think, 1 nigiri, the Oishii roll & the tempura roll, even ate avocado *grin*. I also had fried octopus tentacles with chili sauce which were quite tender & spicy just the way I like. My hubby isn't adventurous in the least, so I had to work my limited German to figure out what he could eat & would probably like. He tried the shrimp on a stick & chicken on a stick both were good, chicken was a bit over cooked. Better over than under I always say. He also had the lamb steaks which were good & my 1st time trying lamb. He had these rolled beef things with something crunchy in them that he didn't share with me, but he liked them very much. The butterfish was very good & melted in your mouth. So now I can't wait to go back with more adventurous friends who will try the other sushi items for me lol.

Favorite Dish: The price of the restaurant really depends on the Euro to dollar rate.

• Hotel Westrich -- Bistro Pierrot: Random choices can be good

by maroonwings Written May 26, 2009

So we were on our way back to Portofino but darn it! Closed Tuesdays. Remember that for future reference. Walking on up the hill, there was a sign for Bistro Pierrot in the Hotel Westrich. The menu seemed to have what we needed, and we were hungry. I had a really nice jaegerschnitzel with excellent pan fried potatoes and a nice dinner salad. One friend had the local seasonal spargel (white asparagus) dish with charming little potato croquettes and the spargel came with hollandaise sauce and ham and she raved about it. The tunafisch salad was really good (Brett is on a tunafish salad tour of Europe -- stay tuned!) and we had wine and the staff were friendly. Best part, we could walk back to the hotel.

• Pizzeria Etna: Unexpected good food

by maroonwings Updated May 26, 2009

Down a little alley with only a glimpse of umbrellas and fences -- there was a chalk board sign to clue me in. The pizza was good. The dinner salads were excellent. The pasta dishes were good. There was some agreement that the waiter was cute (although on another occasion, there were only waitresses, so you are on your own on that one). The prices were good. We have already gone there three times in three weeks -- and other restaurants have not been so cheerfully repeated.

Favorite Dish: I really liked the Pizza ala Maria. The Gypsy Schnitzel was also wonderful, and the Salat Etna with tunafisch and zweibeln (onions) was really good. So far, I think anything is likely to be good.

• Italia: Nobody Starved

by maroonwings Written May 19, 2009

The ambience is pretty much German tavern style. The waitress was not all that speedy but she was pleasant. English is spoken more or less, and by about 7 p.m. there's a decent crowd. It is open on Sundays, which is important around here.

Favorite Dish: Well, the pizza was OK but slilghtly undercooked. We had two kinds, one with sliced eggs, ham, artichoke, and the other one was called the Italia and appeared to be basically a cheese pizza with red sauce. The wine was cheap but decent, there are no actual wines by the bottle available, so the montepulciano was served in a pottery jug.

• Portofino: Yummy Italian

by maroonwings Written May 19, 2009

This is a very pleasant place with some outdoor seating, nice serving staff and pleasant food.

Favorite Dish: The pizza was good, not particularly like American pizza. I had a pasta dish with ham and asparagus (spargel) which was very good, and my other friend had a gnocci dish which was drowning in sauce, but she said it was very good (I didn't taste it). The wine was a nice chianti, mid price range, and we had a generally pleasant time in a town not renowned for good restaurants.

• HongKong97: Surprisingly Not Bad

by maroonwings Written May 15, 2009

This is a new looking Chinese restaurant in Baumholder, on the Bahnhofstrasse. Not that you ordinarily want Chinese food in Germany, but Baumholder is small and you may yet find yourself there. The decor is pleasant Chinese style; the waitress we had was a bit befuddled, but food came and the food was good. Between the three of us we had duck with garlic sauce, curried beef and a multi-meat and vegetable hot dish (called that on the menu) which were served on heating plates. And I had very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. If you don't want ribs (by the way, we ate there, too, and the ribs WERE good), this is a nice change.

By the way, they have a lunch buffet for 8.50 euros per person, but I don't know how good it is.

• ppgbc's Profile Photo

The Stadtkrug: The BBQ Ribs (a given)

by ppgbc Written Jul 17, 2005
    Stadtkrug

They have a relatively small menu, with the ribs and steak being the better part of it, in my opinion anyway. I made the mistake of ordering otherwise only to be disappointed.

On a return visit I tried the ribs and they were awesome. Cooked over open flame, you can't go wrong. The steak with mushrooms is also quite good.

As for the atmosphere, you're not in kansas anymore. It's different but relaxing none the less and the attentive staff is great.

Favorite Dish: The ribs, hands down.

Instant Answers: Baumholder

Comments

Baumholder Travel Guide

Baumholder Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Baumholder restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Baumholder sightseeing.