Bingen am Rhein Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Bingen am Rhein

Zollamt: Relaxing wine and snacks at Rhine River

by Trekki Updated Jun 14, 2014

On our first evening of Pentecost Holidays 2014, we definitely wanted to eat somewhere at the river, because it was hot and we hoped for a nice breeze and of course the river view. We passed “Zollamt” already in the morning when we walked to the ferry to Rüdesheim and decided that we would try it. Now we are both vegetarians, which is slightly difficult in this region because many meals are with meat or ham. But, Zollamt had two vegetarian dishes on the menu, which we ordered and shared. One was Flammkuchen, or Tarte Flambée, as Wikipedia describes it. It was with sheep cheese, olives, bell pepper and fresh rocket salad (8,50 Euro). Our other dish was the so-called Hildegard of Bingen salad, a selection of lettuce with croutons, cheese and a vinaigrette dressing of mixed herbs (8,90 Euro). Both were very delicious! We also loved the fresh bread we received for our salad and tarte. The one which looks sightly yellowish was with ramsons and corn.

They even have an English menu, although I find the translations slightly strange. Flammkuchen, for example, is being translated as flame cake, which might be misleading. But they try and I find that good, given the fact that not many English websites or menus exist in the region.

Location of Zollamt, Bingen, on Bing Maps = no 2.

© Ingrid D., June 2014 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.).

WeinZeit in der Vinothek Bingen am Rhein: Wine bar, at Bingen's Rhein promenade

by Trekki Updated Jun 11, 2014

A couple of years ago I had nice lunch here with Australian friends. So I was hoping that we find some nice dishes during the weekend of Pentecost (June 2014) when I visited the region and Rhine Valley with a friend from US. She is vegetarian and I prefer vegetarian dishes in the meantime, which seemed to be quite a challenge in the land of “Wein & Wurst” (wine and sausage).

Somehow I was disappointed to see that the owner has changed since my last visit. I can’t even say if the restaurant improved. Ok, I can, but only for my personal taste: I found the former one better because it wasn’t as “chichi” as the current one. But then I love authentic regional dishes without frippery and without having to show-off (which I won’t but show-off places are not my kind of thing).

We both found vegetarian dishes on the menu but these were the only two ones. The others were mostly typical snacks from the region, albeit they looked good when I saw what the waitresses brought to the other tables. We had tagliatelle with rocket pesto and almonds (delicious) and a flaky pastry tarte with light cream cheese (Frischkäse in German, which is much lighter than cream cheese) and red bell peppers (delicious). It was way too hot to drink wine, so I had grape juice spritz (mixture of grape juice and water) and my friend had water with freshly squeezed lemon juice. After having finished our meal we took seat in one of the beach chairs to finish our drinks. It was a fabulous feeling, but again, it was too hot to stay there for longer.

Prices: tagliatelle: 9,50 Euro, tarte: 6,50 Euro, grape juice spritz (0,4 l): 3,80 Euro.
    Payment is possible with major credit cards and bank card, or cash.

Location of WeinZeit, Vinothek, on Bing Maps = no 1.

© Ingrid D., June 2014, completely new written due to the change in owners (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.).

(old photo, from 2009)
    • Wine Tasting

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Der Kleine Weinprinz: Rheinstein Castle: excellent gastronomy!

by Trekki Updated Dec 20, 2011

Rheinstein Castle had a small cafe with terrace already. But Marco Hecher, son of the owner, had recently renovated and expanded the gastronomy, quite a challenging task given the steep hill. I already liked to have lunch on the terrace anytime I was there before the expansion, but given the menu list it must be better than ever now. They serve only snacks, but very delicious sounding ones and all are with local ingredients and local products. Their cheese cake is legendary as is their Zwiebelkuchen (onion cake). They offer several snacks, desserts, cake, ice cream, coffee in several varieties, tea, liquors (especially their vineyard peach liquor sounds delicious, that’s a local speciality of peach which only grown in vineyards), Schnaps, beer and wine.

The restaurant is accessible only with entry to the castle of course. But it is well worth, because the castle is the best and most lovingly cared about in whole Rhein Valley. And to sit there, next to the castle, with view to the river and the ships passing by.... that is priceless!

© Ingrid D., December 2010.

continue with next review

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

The Biergarten 1-1/2 blocks from NH Bingen: Enjoy a beer by the river

by jessicadf Updated Mar 16, 2006

I'm afraid I can't remember the name of this business and I don't have a receipt. Suffice it to say that it's obvious if you're near downtown, looking along the Rhine. If you see the NH Bingen, then 2 blocks South, on the river bank is a large biergarten. Here you can watch football on large screens, drink good beers (or radler, in my case) and have your fill of pub food. Dad enjoyed his leberkaese and Mark and I enjoyed our schnitzel (mine with mushroom sauce). Do NOT order more than one order of frites for a group of 3. We ordered two, mistakenly, and had a LOT of food left over. They do NOT skimp on portions here. :-)

Favorite Dish: Schnitzel with mushroom sauce. Or perhaps the radler.

Weizen!

• antistar's Profile Photo

K-D Cafe: K-D Cafe

by antistar Written Apr 5, 2005

While you wait for your ship to arrive you can enjoy coffee and cake in the K-D cafe a few yards from the jetty. This allows you to sit down and relax right up until the last moment before it docks. Just pray that it is a nice day because the place is smoky as hell, even by German standards. I stank of cigarettes after only standing inside momentarily to make my order. The coffee is ok, though, and the cakes are typically good German fare.

Instant Answers: Bingen am Rhein

Comments

Bingen am Rhein Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bingen am Rhein restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bingen am Rhein sightseeing.

View all Bingen am Rhein hotels