the Deutsche Kaiser, Koblenz

the first German Emperor
    by Leipzig
  • doug48's Profile Photo

by doug48 Updated Jun 7, 2008

the kaiser wilhelm I statue is located at the deutsches eck, (german corner). the deutsches eck is where the rhine and mosel river meet. the kaiser wilhelm I statue was built in 1897 and was designed by bruno schmitz. in 1945 the american army blew up the statue. after the war the statue was rebuilt by citizen donations.

• Architecture
    • Castles and Palaces

• wadekorzan's Profile Photo

the "Deutsche Kaiser"

by wadekorzan Updated Apr 23, 2003

The so-called "Deutsche Kaiser" is the oldest stone building in Koblenz that is still inhabited. it dates back to the 16th century, and is leabing a little bit to the right side. It does this even before you drink some beer downstairs in the pub--a very popular place for locals and tourists alike.

The Deutsche Kaiser is situated along the banks of the Mosel River..follow along wiht my tips and I will take you on a guided virtual stroll through the Old Town of Koblenz, starting at the Deutsche Kaiser.

the

• Leipzig's Profile Photo

Deutsches Eck

by Leipzig Written Oct 14, 2003

Main attraction on the Deutsche Eck peninsula is the monument of the German Emperor Wilhelm I.. The original statue was erected by the sculptor Emil Hundrieser and the architect Bruno Schmitz in 1893–1897 but was destroyed by Allied artillery fire in 1945. A private donation made it possible to erect a copy of the statue on this place. It was uncovered in 1993. The total height including the base is 37 m, the copper bronze sculpture (height 14 m) weighs 61.5 tons.

the first German Emperor
    • Architecture

• codrutz's Profile Photo

by codrutz Updated Dec 27, 2004

The impressive collosal equestrian statue of the emperor Wilhelm I of Germany is the main attraction of Deutsches Eck, as tourists can climb up to it to view the beautiful panorama of the two rivers.

The 61,5 tons and 14 meter high bronze statue was built in 1897, standing on a massive (23 meter high) piedestal. In fact, bombings in 1945 have destroyed the original, and a copy was uncovered in 1993.

Instant Answers: Koblenz