Landau in der Pfalz Restaurants

• TomInGermany's Profile Photo

Göcklinger Hausbräu: Nice little Brewery near the Town

by TomInGermany Written Apr 23, 2012

Sign outside their building

Tired after a long day exploring the sights along the Deutisch Weinstrasse (German Wine Road) but don’t drink wine (or just want something different)? If so, I suggest you try the Göcklinger Hausbräu located new the Southern end of the road in the little town of Göcklingen. Don’t expect a fancy menu or one that has lots of choices. This is a small brewery with a limited number of tables but a nice atmosphere.
    We stopped there after touring Trifels Castle and the surrounding hills on a rainy Saturday morning. It was early afternoon when we found the brewery and there were was only one other couple finishing up their meal and three guys sitting at the bar. The waitress did not speak much English but she was very nice. I ordered their wheat beer (Hefweisse) and really enjoyed it. It has a nice smell and a very mild wheat taste. One of the better ones I’ve had in Germany. I also tried their dark beer (Dunkel) but wasn’t as impressed with this one. There was something in it that I couldn’t identify but I didn’t really like. I just missed their Maibier (a seasonal beer that why brew in May).
    The food was good if simple. I had the flammkuchen which seems to be on all the menus in this part of Germany. The one I ordered had bacon, onions, cheese and “knoblach”. We asked the waitress what this was and, since she didn’t know the name for garlic, said it was to ward off vampires. Gotta love it. My wife had a Wurst Salad which wasn’t bad if somewhat weird. It was shredded meat in a pickle-type sauce with cheese and some veggies around the edge of the plate.

Favorite Dish: Their Hefeweissen (wheat beer). Smooth taste without too much wheat flavor. One of the best one's I've had in Germany and I've had a good number.

• Beer Tasting

• Flipboy's Profile Photo

Don't remember: Great Italian food

by Flipboy Written Jun 28, 2006

The restaurant is situated just across the road from Hotel Brenner. The food was really good besides the fact that each dish was heavily loaded with garlic. I love garlic, but by the end of the meal it was far too much for sure.

The decor in the restaurant had a middle eastern/ mediteranian feel to it.

• Wine Tasting

Instant Answers: Landau in der Pfalz

Comments

Landau in der Pfalz Travel Guide

Landau in der Pfalz Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Landau in der Pfalz restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Landau in der Pfalz sightseeing.

View all Landau in der Pfalz hotels