Maikammer Restaurants

My delightful sorbet
    by Trekki
    Bread dumplings, for two people
    by Trekki
  • Saumagen on sauerkraut and onions, oh heaven!
    Saumagen on sauerkraut and onions, oh...

Most Recent Restaurants in Maikammer

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Waldhaus Wilhelm: Ultimate culinary delights :-)

by Trekki Updated Aug 12, 2013

Saumagen on sauerkraut and onions, oh heaven!

In the hotel section I have already described our delightful stay at Waldhaus Wilhelm and how much I liked the restaurant. It is time now to describe our culinary experience, which definitely exceeded all my expectations and which will bring me back to this hotel many times in the future.
    On our first evening we arrived rather late and decided to eat in Waldhaus Wilhelm’s restaurant. I had a look on their website before we came. The dishes sounded good but from the site I had expected it to be expensive. What a pleasant surprise that this was not the case! On the first evening our decision was very quick: Lucy liked the chantarelles as much as I do and so we had chantarelles in creamy sauce with bread dumplings (14,50 Euro). It was a very much light meal, although this is usually not the case. But later we learned that Waldhaus Wilhelm’s kitchen has found a way to make dishes taste light! On our next evening originally we had planned to have our dinner in one of the many wine taverns on our way back from Dahn Castles and Castle Berwartstein. But it was raining very hard and Lucy suggested that we should go back to the hotel and eat there. Obviously she fell in love with the menu. So did I and we went back. This time we had more time to look through the menu. She liked the chantarelles so much that she decided to have a chantarelle risotto while I wanted to show her how the famous Palatinate dish Saumagen looks like and tastes. So I ordered their Saumagen in creamy sauerkraut and balsamico (10 Euro). Oh my ... what a culinary heaven! The sauerkraut tasted so light in the light creamy sauce, something I would never ever have expected. The same applied for the Saumagen pieces. I can easily say that this was the best Saumagen dish I ever had! We treated ourselves with desert this evening. Lucy had a parfait of rhubarb with minced strawberries in a light sweet-sour dressing (sugar and lime juice) and I had a sorbet of strawberries and lemons with fruit decorations (6 Euro). Oh my, what a perfect finish to an excellent meal. Since I didn’t have to drive, we could sample excellent Riesling wine, 5 Euro for half a litre.

I cannot repeat it enough: the dishes are heavenly! The staff is very nice and sweet too. All in all I am even convinced that Waldhaus Wilhelm’s cuisine is much better than the famous Deidesheimer Hof (the one where our ex chancellor brought all state visitors to).

I will be back! Definitely!

Opening hours:
    from 11:30 to 14:30 and from 17:30 to midnight.
    Kitchen is open from 12:00 - 14:00 and from 18:00 - 21.00.
    Closed on Mondays.

Location of Waldhaus Wilhelm on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., July 2011 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

• Luxury Travel

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Zum Goldenen Ochsen: In the middle of town, ideal stop for snacks

by Trekki Updated Jul 24, 2011

Zum Goldenen Ochsen, as the name suggests :)

Restaurant Zum Goldenen Ochsen is conveniently located in the middle of Maikammer, at the market place. I was here only once, on the way back from my walking through the vineyards in summer 2009. That day I had an onion soup which I liked. I forgot how much I paid, but it wasn’t much, so I expect it was approx. 3 Euro. The restaurant serves typical Palatinate dishes and what I saw on the other tables was looking good.
    Sorry that I can’t write more about this restaurant. I might go there again, but only for snacks or a coffee, because the best restaurant Maikammer has, lies on the road to Kalmit: Waldhaus Wilhelm :-)

Open daily except Thursday. Friday it is open from 17:00 on.

Location of Ochsen on Google Maps.

© Ingrid D., July 2011.

• Photography

Instant Answers: Maikammer

Comments

Maikammer Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Maikammer restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Maikammer sightseeing.