Know about this? Rate It!
Gutenberg Statue (1837)
Favorite thing: It was the French Emperor Napoleon who ordered the creation of a square dedicated to the memory of Gutenberg in the early 1800s. A few decades later, the citizens of Mainz commissioned the prominent Danish sculptor Berthel Thorwaldsen to create this prominent (larger than life) statue that adorns the square.
Just one peculiar detail - Thorwaldsen portrayed Gutenberg with a biblical (Mosaic?) beard, whereas in the 15th century, contemporary fashions would almost certainly would have meant that a prominent citizen like Gutenberg wouldn't have kept any hair on his face!
- Arts and Culture
- Historical Travel
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Mainz Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Husayn al `Ali al Falah Hotels
- Lake Tansi Village Hotels
- Toyota Hotels
- Joshua Tree National Park Hotels
- East Cape