Know about this? Rate It!
On the Jakobsberg, a hill just behind the south station and the Theatrum Mogontiacensium, there is a large baroque citadel from the year 1660.
Inside the citadel there are several buildings which now house city offices.
The outer walls are quite overgrown with trees and bushes in places, but you can still walk around on them.
In May 2004 a group of about fifty citizens of Mainz founded a new organization called "Initiative Zitadelle Mainz" to promote the preservation and restoration of the citadel.
View from the Citadel
Like just about any other place in Mainz and vicinity, the Citadel affords nice views of the cathedral from several different angles.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Mainz Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Pulau Beras Basah Hotels
- Yosemite National Park Hotels
- Wheeling Island Hotels
- Minorca Island
- New Zealand
- East Lansing Hotels
- Ireland Off The Beaten Path
- Hawaii (Big Island) Off The Beaten Path
- Cabo San Lucas Off The Beaten Path
- Missouri Off The Beaten Path
- Chiang Mai Off The Beaten Path
- Portugal Off The Beaten Path
- Thailand Off The Beaten Path
- Kansas City Off The Beaten Path
- Virginia Beach Off The Beaten Path
- Bend Off The Beaten Path
- Florence Off The Beaten Path
- Puerto Rico Off The Beaten Path