Know about this? Rate It!
On the Jakobsberg, a hill just behind the south station and the Theatrum Mogontiacensium, there is a large baroque citadel from the year 1660.
Inside the citadel there are several buildings which now house city offices.
The outer walls are quite overgrown with trees and bushes in places, but you can still walk around on them.
In May 2004 a group of about fifty citizens of Mainz founded a new organization called "Initiative Zitadelle Mainz" to promote the preservation and restoration of the citadel.
View from the Citadel
Like just about any other place in Mainz and vicinity, the Citadel affords nice views of the cathedral from several different angles.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Mainz Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Sogn og Fjordane Hotels
- Boldogkovaralja Hotels
- Bundesland Burgenland Hotels
- Badgers Island Hotels
- Cooke City
- Coronado Island
- Lone Pine Off The Beaten Path
- Beaumont Off The Beaten Path
- Daytrip to Bled
- Assisi Off The Beaten Path
- Solvang Off The Beaten Path
- Cardiff Off The Beaten Path
- Villages and Farms
- Bremen Off The Beaten Path
- Siem Reap Off The Beaten Path
- Ulcinj Off The Beaten Path
- Newport Beach Off The Beaten Path