Places to eat in Mainz

Meet & Eat, Mainz

Most Viewed Restaurants in Mainz

Restaurant Da Vito: Restaurant Da Vito

by antistar Updated Jul 23, 2013

After walking around town for a decent Italian restaurant we were very lucky to come across this little place. Cheap, tasty, authentic Italian food with very fast and friendly service. It even impressed my fussy Italian friend. The menu was extensive, with all kinds of pizzas, as well as pasta dishes, to suit pretty much every taste. The food was particularly good value, with at only around 5-6 euro for a big pizza. The staff spoke English and took orders on an electronic PDA to make sure everything was spot on. I'd go back there and eat again any day.

Cafe Extra Blatt: Cafe Extra Blatt

by antistar Updated Jul 23, 2013

This is a very trendy, cool and relaxed cafe in the market place in the shadow of the Cathedral. Despite its excellent food and location the prices are very reasonable. The staff are also extremely friendly, and even though they all seem to speak perfect English, they are very happy to let you practice your German without getting flustered and trying to rush you. I came here for lunch and enjoyed a big plate of food, and a three-quarter litre glass of mineral water for less than ten euros. We came back later for drinks a couple of nights running, and it was a great place for an evening drink as well.

• tessy's Profile Photo

Weinhaus zum Spiegel: Wine bar

by tessy Written Oct 13, 2003

Weinhaus zum Spiegel is another traditional restaurant/wine bar. You can find there typical dishes of the region, like in Augustinerkeller.
    Have a look at the pic: you'll see the cathedral in the back again!

• hunterV's Profile Photo

Extrablatt: Market Square Cafe

by hunterV Updated Nov 3, 2011

This is a great local cafe with a very good location in Market Square.
    Before going to St.Martin's Cathedral we sat in this cafe outside, right opposite the cathedral entrance itself.
    It was a kind of meditation having coffee there when you sit and think, “You are here, in this ancient square, just sitting and pondering…”

• Business Travel

Bengal Tandoori Restaurant: Bengal Tandoori Restaurant

by antistar Written Apr 3, 2005

This small family run Bengali restaurant was such a refreshing change after months of Germanicized Indian food. The food tasted really authentic, just like it is back home in England. In fact the owners, from Bangladesh, said they'd been to England a number of times. They even served me my bill in the English way, giving it to me on a small plate before walking away, rather than the German way of hanging around with a small purse pouch waiting to give you the change. Of course I can't say that it tastes just like it does in Bangladesh, but they do say that the best Indian (and Bangladeshi) restaurants are in England.

The food was so good, the restaurant so cosy and relaxing, and the service so friendly that I went back for a second night before I left. On the second time I was slightly embarrassed, as when the waiter (the cook's son) discovered what I did for a living he rushed behind the counter to get a pad of paper so I would sign an autograph for him! It turned out he was a big fan of computer games, especially the one that I'd last worked on. I'd never had to do that before, and the people in the restaurant were all looking over to see who I was. It made me feel quite uncomfortable, but in a nice way.

Bistro Bei Vincenzo: Bistro Bei Vincenzo

by antistar Updated Jul 13, 2013

I enjoyed my pasta here, but I've had better. My Milanese friend wasn't overly impressed, although it was definitely authentic Italian, unlike some of the other places in town. The guys were all from the Naples region, according to my friend, judging by the strong accents. Not great, but not bad either, and a safe choice for Italian food if you are on this side of town.

Update: This place seems to have closed.

• TomInGermany's Profile Photo

kamin: Pick your Flammkuchen

by TomInGermany Updated Feb 10, 2012

If you like Flammkuchen this is the place for you. If you enjoy eating your dinner in front of a nice warm fire then this is the place for you. If you like both, pick up the phone and make your reservation now (and you will probably need one to get a seat).
    Kamin specializes in Flammkuchen (thin pizza-like dishes) and has over 20 different types in includding their dessert ones. One we tried was called a Mainzer that had onions, bacon bits and potatoes on it (weird but tasty). If they don't have one on the menu you like I'm pretty sure they will make one to your taste. If you like spicy they have one for you!
    During hunting season they also have a special burger - Wild Boar! I had to have it and it was pretty good. Not a lot of meat but it had a good taste (it just tasted lean). The owner stopped by and told us that the cook was also a hunter and he bagged the boar and brought it back to the restaurant to prepare it. Only in Germany!
    The restaurant has been open three years now and has a very pleasant atmosphere to include the crackling fire I mentioned earlier. I would recommend making reservations since it seems a pretty popular place. The Thursday evening we went every table was reserved and we were forced to eat at a small table designed more for relaxing and sipping drinks.
    The waitresses were very friendly and spoke very good English. The owner was also very nice and willing to talk to us about his restaurant and the food. He even took our drink orders. They only have two English menus but since we were the only Americans in the place it wasn't an issue.

Favorite Dish: You have to go with the Flammkuchen. If you want to say you've eaten wild boar then get the burger.

• TomInGermany's Profile Photo

Brauhaus Castel: The other Brewery Restaurant in Mainz

by TomInGermany Updated Oct 11, 2012

Brauhaus Castel, located in Mainz Kastel, is a local hangout for both Germans and Americans. Situated near several American bases in the Wiesbaden area, the restaurant is used to hosting large crowds of Americans on a regular basis. Their servers all speak good English, they have English menus and they serve good beer and traditional German food.

Brauhaus Castel brews three types of beer: Helles, Dunkel and Weisen. I prefer the Dunkel but the other two are okay. Their food is very tasty and I have yet to get a bad dish there (and I’ve been their way too often). On my last visit I had their seasonal pumpkin soup and a soft pretzel. The soup was awesome and I highly recommend it.

Mainz has two brewers, Brauhaus Castel and Eisgrub Brau. Both are good destinations after a tour of Mainz. Eisgrub Brau, located in Mainz proper, is often crowded, especially when football (American soccer) is playing on TV. Brauhaus Castel can also get crowded and sometimes they don’t have enough servers to meet the demand for service.

Favorite Dish: Pumpkin soup when it is in season.

• Beer Tasting

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

MoschMosch: Decent German Noodle Shops

by yooperprof Written Mar 2, 2007

MoschMosch is a sleek and elegant chain of noodle shops in Germany. I picked a nice Riesling wine to go with an order of Thai Noodles - quite a good combination. I liked it here because there were no surprises, and it was possible to eat a satisfying and tasty meal for about $17 US. Another plus - they are open through the day, so I was able to drop in here when I was hungry, before the evening rush.

• Caffé e gelato: Best icecream in Mainz

by merak Updated Oct 19, 2007

In Winter you can find some Brezel- designs at this stand.

If you were disappointed by ice creams you found in Germany, give it a last chance and try it from this one. I could reccomend you nut sorts (Mozart, Bacio, Walnuss), lemon, Himbeere and strawberry (until available from not too far). I think I never ate a better pistaccio icecream in Germany- or nowhere else! But it's not longer that good. The prices are the best: 70 cent for a big ball in a very good wafer.
    You can get a coffee for 70 cent at Nordsee inside the station building.

Favorite Dish: pistaccio icecream

CHEAPEST COFFEE IN TOWN! 70 cent at NORDSEE, INSIDE THE STATION BUILDING- but apparently only there. Care for environment and order it in a Tasse (ceramic) to drink it there.

Really, we should not accept prices above 1 Euro for a cup of coffee.

• Trains

• Balkan Express: Kosovar fast food

by merak Updated Jun 16, 2008

If you ever were on the Balcanes and liked the food, you are right here. And if not, try a Pleskavica instead of a Big Mac. Maybe you have already tried the b?rek at Marmaris. Here you have another tipe of it. They make it also filled whith apples.
    If you think the chevapchichi (kyebabchichi) or pljeskavicas could be made whith pork, you have neither to fear nor to hope of it. This bistro is run by Albanians from Macedonia, which assure that the meat is exclusively beef.

• mauro_pd's Profile Photo

Altstadt Cafe': Breakfast

by mauro_pd Updated Aug 19, 2003

Alternative spot in despite of the name (sounding like "old city cafe").
    Good and dynamic environment, multicultural, trendy without excess, easy to handle.
    It's somewhat reminding Albatros in FFurt and also Harvey's in FFurt.

Favorite Dish: Breakfast offer is interesting; check the "healthy" one and taste the jogurt with some fruit ... delicious !!!

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Bengal Tandoori: A Taste of South Asia

by yooperprof Written Mar 2, 2007

In my town in Michigan, we don't have an Indian restaurant, and since I'm absolutely crazy about the cuisine of South Asia, everytime I go somewhere a little larger and more cosmopolitan, I try to find somewhere that will satisfy my cravings for naan and aloo gobi.

I discovered the Bengal Tandoori house on one of Mainz's many side streets. It's a small storefront, but surprisingly comfortable inside - and the food was excellent. And relatively inexpensive, too!

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Kamin: Flammkuchen!

by Airpunk Written Jan 24, 2014

This place is an excellent one to eat Flammkuchen (Tarte Flambée, a kind of thin, southwest German/Alsatian Pizza). You get excellent quality and more than good value for the money.

There is one negative point: The place is always full for dinner – reservations are highly recommended. Even if you have reserved a table you have the feeling that you are in an overcrowded room. In my opinion, they bit off more than they could chew with their restaurant. Some tables (when you enter, left hand in the back) are OK to have drinks and light snacks, but far too small to eat a flammkuchen comfortably.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Bastion von Schonborn: Great views

by bonio Written Apr 11, 2003

Take a walk over the Theodor- Heuss bridge to Kastel, turn right and about 100 yards along the river is this lovely little bar. Sit outside in their heated terrace for great views of the river and city......magic!

Mainz Hotels

Latest: Apr 3, 2014
Hotel Inndependence
Latest: Jan 7, 2014

Instant Answers: Mainz

Comments

Mainz Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Mainz locals.
Map of Mainz