Traben-Trarbach Restaurants

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Claus Fesst: Impeccable service

by ATLC Updated Sep 9, 2007

Restaurant Claus Feist

This is the hotelrestaurant of hotel Bellevue (see my accommodation tip). Here also the service is impeccable. All 3 nights that we ate here, the restaurant was booked full.
    The head waitress caused us a bit of a giggle. The first night she bowed across to me, quite close, and half-whispered: Hat es Ihnen gut geschmeckt? (did you enjoy it?). It caused me to jump. We watched her do it at other tables. It was completely correct, I don't know why we thought it was so funny. The whole week we'd whisper to each other in that same tone: Hat es Ihnen gut geschmeckt? and then burst out laughing...

However, nothing than praise for the staff. Apart from the lack of a wine waiter, the service couldn't be better. Swift, hardly noticeable and yet completely attentive to your every wish. Nope, I'm not being paid to say this. But I hope to come back one day :-)

Favorite Dish: First night: rabbit with a barley accompaniment, and a delightful chocolate cake with mocca sauce and a small scoop of blackberry sorbet.
    Second night: salad with feta and French dressing, a very chic onion soup (nothing of the typical country-coarseness here!), excellently prepared beef roast and for dessert a buttermilk pudding with red berry sauce.
    Both nights, dinners were part of our arrangement (2 nights, including half board).

Third night: We ate a la carte. A terrine of baby chicken with duck liver in the middle, then fish (I think haddock) with scallops and fresh homemade pasta, for dessert (see 4th photo which doesn't do it justice!) a freshly baked tart with damsons (Quetschen?) with cappucino sauce, berries and almond icecream.

The wine chart has a big choice of Mosel wines of course. You can order a choice of 2 cl. caraffes. We chose a 2005 Spätlese (white) and a 2006 red Mosel.

• Luxury Travel

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Im Kitt'che: Lunch in jail!

by ATLC Updated Sep 9, 2007

Im Kitt'che

A Kitt is a jail and this restaurant is a former prison!
    The text on the wall (2nd photo in this tip) reads:
    Hier fass ein mancher manches Jahr
    weil's früher ein Gefängniss war.
    Doch heut' geht jeder sorglos ein
    und lässt sich gern gefangen sein!

Here stayed many, many a year
    because it used to be a prison
    but now everyone comes in without a care
    and enjoys being kept prisoner!

Well, if you go to the toilet, you will find that it is behind actual heavy jail doors (see 4th photo in this tip).

Favorite Dish: The Moselweinsuppe (Mosel wine soup, 5th photo in this tip) was creamy and had grapes in it. Globetrott will probably say: there's a Tourist Trap again! haha.
    After that I had a roasted potato with garlic cream and salad. Washed it down with Apfelschorle (that mix of applejuice and bubbly mineral water).
    My dearest thought the Wiener schnitzel was very tasty but a bit greasy. However, a Bitburger quickly neutralises that!

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

Ristorante Pizzeria Café "Taverna": Just an ordinary Italian with great atmosphere

by Nathalie_B Written Dec 28, 2006

Taverna was a nice place to conclude a day in Traben-Trarbach. Great service, good food, and reasonable prices, add to it nice decorations and peacefull atmosphere. Salad as an appetizer was tasty and fresh and then arrived the mussels in butter and garlic. They were perfect! As a devoted VTer I had to taste as many dishes as possible so I can tell more about the restaurant and its food. I know, I know on the picture spagetti in tomato sauce look more like a bunch of red-painted warms, but I can assure you that it tasted good.
    Sure all the food was washed down with wine. What else would you drink in Traben-Trarbach?
    It wasn't some upscale, gourmet restaurant, just an ordinary Italian restaurant but sometimes a smiley face of a waitress can turn a simple dinner into a great experience.

• yatingchen's Profile Photo

Alte Zunftscheune: The best restaurant at Mosel river

by yatingchen Updated Sep 3, 2006

Mimi and Tingli

The owner of Alte Zunftscheune is this moment (2006) 71 years old. He built and designed the restaurant on his own. The dining space is full of many surprises, old fotos, antique tools, countryside decoration. You can call it as small hometown museum (Kleines Heimatmuseum) There is also a photo-album sharing with you the restaurant's memory.

Alte Zunftscheune is so popular and that one must reserve in advance. On 26.08.06 Mimi, his friend Frank und I had wonderful dinner there. I saw the restaurant full of people. Very impressive.

Favorite Dish: The food is good. You should try all. My dish:

1) Grandma's potato soup: Potato and onlion in butter soup. Simple ingredience, but incredible delicious (I was too hungry?)
    2) Salad: vegetables are sliced into small pieces with fine vinage. Tasty.
    3) Pork (Schweinelende) with noodles and mushrooms: European pork is always good. The pork was cooked well watered with cheese. The noodles was made of eggs which I have never eaten before. Wonderful!!

• Museum Visits

• Husker_Jeff's Profile Photo

Storcke Stuetz: Great restaurant in the old cellar

by Husker_Jeff Written Jun 28, 2008

Nicole at Storcke Stuetz

We tried to sit outside, but the rain started soon after we were seated. We moved inside to the "cellar" and found a nice cozy table in the corner.

We very much enjoyed our dinner here. The food and service was great. Nicole had asparagus with ham (yes, again!). I had the pan-fried pike-perch filt over graewes. Graewes is a local specialty, a puree of potatoes with sauerkraut and chunks of bacon. Excellent. And the fish was perfect. Our server was very nice and offered advice on what to eat and the types of wine we should sample. This was a very enjoyable dinner with great food and ambiance.

Later on our trip, we met some people from Treis-Karden and they did not know of graewes. This is one of the interesting things in Germany - it seems each town has some of their own words. This is the case even when towns are close together.

Favorite Dish: Pike-Perch Filet with Graewes

• Husker_Jeff's Profile Photo

Im Kitt'che: The Jail?

by Husker_Jeff Written Jun 28, 2008

Outdoor seating

We stopped for a bite to eat before the hike to Bernkastel. We had spotted this place the previous day but decided to go to Storcke Stuetz instead. Today we decided to give it a try. We had the small plate of fried camembert with local preserves and bread. It was a good choice, not too much food but enough to keep us satisfied for the long hike. We also had a couple of the Gaffel Koelsch beers. I'm certain the Duesseldorfers will not like this, but the light Koelsch beer is good on a warm day. Don't be upset because I still like the altbier best.

Im Kitt'che supposedly was a small prison or jail at one time. I am not familiar with the word, but some Germans we met here said it was a slang word for jail. It was a nice place, simple and local with good outdoor seating right on the main street so we could watch the people walk by.

Other dishes on the menu were typical and prices were reasonable.

Favorite Dish: Camembert

• yatingchen's Profile Photo

SORRY FORGET: Wanna a glass of beer?

by yatingchen Written Sep 2, 2006

Mimi's friend Frank and me

The pub is dark (well, typical) with music. There is a bar one can sit around. People talk and drink. The pub is silent and belongs home and lovely style.

Favorite Dish: I drank white-beer. Mimi and Frank beer without alchohol.
    Beer with alchohol is more delicious :-)

• Business Travel
    • Luxury Travel

• doug48's Profile Photo

kloster machern: german

by doug48 Written Jun 10, 2008

kloster machern

the kloster machern has a very good german restaurant next to the brauerei. they brew their own beer and you have the choice of a very good helle, dunkell, or wiess bier. a great place to have lunch when driving down the mosel near traben-trarbach.

• Architecture
    • Museum Visits

• djhartmannn's Profile Photo

Ferienweingut Horst Boor in Traben-Trarbach-Wolf: Great Wine & Great Food

by djhartmannn Updated Jun 24, 2006

Wine and Good Food on the Mosel in Wolf

We were spinning our bicycles along the Mosel just minding our own business whan BAM...it hit us. The smell of spit roasted spiced pork roll-bratten. After ordering two servings and a couple glasses of some very very nice riesling spatlese wine we found ourselves very happy.

Good people, very good food, and very very good wine.

• Cycling

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Ristorante Taverna: Good Italian Restaurant in Traben

by travelfrosch Written Sep 9, 2010

Ristorante Taverna

Ristorante Taverna turned out to be a perfectly good choice to have lunch. Sit inside, or outside on the terrace with a view of Grevenburg. Service is good, and the food is tasty and reasonably priced. Multi-course lunch specials for around EUR 10 are a good deal.

Favorite Dish: I went for the 2-course meal consisting of tomato soup and pasta with chicken in cream sauce. I was especially impressed with the quality of the pasta. A good variety of beer and wine was available, but I stuck with the mineral water.

• Sailing and Boating

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

Cafe Balles: Magnificent Pastries

by travelfrosch Updated Sep 9, 2010

Cafe Balles

What must be among the best bakeries in the Mosel Valley is Cafe Balles. This place, right along the river, is famous among locals for having absolutely the best pastries in town. Fresh, moist, decadent... you just can't go wrong here. If you have local friends, you can impress them by bringing a box of sweets from Cafe Balles.

As if that weren't enough, Cafe Balles offers a few "zimmer" (rooms) for travelers at reasonable prices. I never stayed here myself, but I can imagine the breakfasts are quite something.

Favorite Dish: The serve all sorts of sweets, but you absolutely have to try their pastries. Which one? Pick your favorite. They're all amazing.

• Sailing and Boating

Instant Answers: Traben-Trarbach

Comments

Traben-Trarbach Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Traben-Trarbach restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Traben-Trarbach sightseeing.

View all Traben-Trarbach hotels