Traben-Trarbach Shopping

by ATLC

Most Recent Shopping in Traben-Trarbach

Tourist information: Cook book with Mosel recipes

Mosel recipes

It's the Tourist Office! For all information regarding sightseeing, transportation and accommodation.

What to buy: Our hotel already gave us a lot of information and brochures. At the Tourist Office I found two cookbooks with Mosel recipes. A large one for 15 euro and a smaller one for 6,50 euro. I choose the smaller one.
    I always try to buy a cookbook of the region I am holidaying in. Not always easy because it has to be in English, German or French or I can't read it!

Book details: linen bound, ISBN 3881174508, 1988, published by Verlag Wolfgang Hölker GMBH Münster

What to pay: 6,50 euro for the little cookbook

Bakery: A sweet snack

Bakery in Jugendstil style

ABout halfway (or so we thought) of our Jugendstil architectural walk, we stopped at this bakery to try the Quarkbällchen. They taste like donuts but much lighter. So I wheedled the recipe out of the lady who said: 500gr. cream cheese, 200 gr. flour, 4 eggs, sugar. Mix into a batter, and deepfry. Cover with icing sugar. Seem easy! I'll have to figure out the amount of sugar though. I suspect about 150-200 gr. If anyone knows better, please let me know!

What to buy: Quarkbällchen. Or bottled water and soft drinks, or cakes, fresh buns and bread...

What to pay: 0,40 euro a piece (Quarkbällchen)

Kroever Nacktarsch: Naughty wine

Kroever Nacktarsch wine label

Kroever Nacktarsch is a wine with a story. If you like, see Globetrott's Kroev page. He actually pointed me to it when I told him I was visiting the region. Anyhow, this wine can be bought in various wine shops in the region. The story on the label says:
    Was begeistert Alte loben, Moselwein - das edle Nass -
    wollt die Krover Jugend proben, tief im Keller, Fass an Fass.
    Der Küfer sah's mit Bangen und wurde grob und barsch,
    erhaut den kleinen Rangen den blanken, nackten Arsch.

The adults enjoy Moselwine, that noble liquid
    the youngsters in Kroev tried it too, deep in the cellar, barrel after barrel.
    The cellar master saw and became angry.
    That resulted in a big spanking on their naked bottoms (Nacktarsch)!

What to buy: Contrary to what Globetrott says, I doubt if this is the best wine around. At a price of between 2 and 5 euro I can't believe it is! But it does make a fine souvenir though. And as I bought 6 bottles of different varieties from trocken (dry) to lieblich (sweet), I got a nice gift to go with it :-)

What to pay: Six bottles of different varieties cost me 22 euro total.

Hotel Bellevue: Local mineral water

Bad Wildstein spring water

I didn't see this in shops, but our hotel sold it. On arrival guests are treated with a non-alcoholic welcome drink that involves fruit juices and this local spring water.

What to buy: At our hotel (Bellevue, see Accommodation tips), I discovered they had their own bottled water from the nearby watersprings of Bad Wildstein. To be honest, I fell for the lovely designed Jugendstil label and of course that's what you pay for. Still, it's a nice souvenir and it'll do fine as an olive oil bottle once I've drunk the water :-)

What to pay: 4,50 euro per bottle (2007).

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Emil Franz Weingut: Buy Mosel wine!

by ATLC Updated Sep 7, 2007

Selection of Emil Franz Mosel wines

We enjoyed our winetasting session (6 wines) and tour at the Emil Franz vinery. The owner is a 3rd generation winegrower who talks about his profession with enthusiasm. Once you arrive, you find yourself in a reasonably 'normal' house but under the house are cellars where all the wineproduction is done. He can make a maximum of 30.000 litres of wine (which means he has 3 ha of vinery).

What to buy: 6 bottles Trabener Würzgarten Hochgewächs 2006 at 5 Euro per bottle (dry, white)
    6 bottles of Trabacher Kräuterhaus Hochgewächs 2006 at 5,20 Euro per bottle (semi-dry, white)
    2 bottles of Trabener Würzgarten Hochgewächs 2005 at 4,90 Euro per bottle (sweet, white)
    1 bottle Trabener Würzgarten Auslese 2005 at 9,50 Euro per bottle (sweet, white)
    3 bottles Cuvee DSC (Dornfelder-Spätburgunder/Cabernet Sauvignon) 2006 at 5,90 Euro per bottle (dry red).

What to pay: See above.

• doug48's Profile Photo

kloster machern krypta: wine and liquer

by doug48 Written Jun 10, 2008

kloster machern krypta

the krypta (crypt) at the kloster machern has a very interesting wine and liquer store. they offer a large selection of mosel wine and local berry liquers.

• Museum Visits
    • Architecture

Am Bahnhof: Market

by ATLC Written Sep 8, 2007

Thursday market Traben-Trarbach

On Thursday's there's a tiny market between the train station and Tourist office. Local produce like bread, milk, cheeses, eggs, vegetables and meat.

• tessy's Profile Photo

Antiques

by tessy Written May 22, 2003

Antiques

There are lots of places in the Mosel valley which sell antiques.I found this one on our way through the village and liked the woman who looks for clients.

• tessy's Profile Photo

There are many, just taste it: Wine

by tessy Updated May 15, 2003

Wine everywhere

There are lots of wine-grower who sell wine. Just knock on their door. Very often, there is a hint or you see a choice of some wine bottles in a kind of box.

What to buy: Wine

Instant Answers: Traben-Trarbach

Comments

Traben-Trarbach Shopping

Reviews and photos of Traben-Trarbach shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Traben-Trarbach sightseeing.

View all Traben-Trarbach hotels