The Frankenturm is a medieval residential tower from the 11th century. It was named after one of its owners in the 14th century, Franko von Senheim.
The entrance was on the first floor, like at the House of the Three Kings. This construction was due to the fact that when the house was built the medieval city wall was not finished and so every household had to defend themselves. They had to use a ladder or a wooden staircase that could easily be pulled up when needed.
There are six Romanesque residential towers still standing in Trier, the oldest being the Frankenturm.
The Frankenturm is one of the oldest buildings in the town, older even than its more colourful counterpart the Dreikönigshaus. Despite its austere and militaristic look, the Romanesque tower was actually residential. It's one of the few remaining medieval buildings in the town, and was built around 1100, but takes its name from Franko von Senheim, who lived there in the 14th century.
The Frankentower is build as a residence in the form of a tower in roman architectural style. Its build in the 12 th century and named after the owner Franko Sehnheim. Typically the owner of these towers were the rich town regents, the type of inhabitants who later on owned and constructed buildings such as the "Steipe" or the House of the three Kings.
This structure from the 11th century was erected in a fashion typical of the Roman era, that is, alternating layers of cut stone and bricks. It is the only such structure whose purpose is still recognisable, that of a residential tower. Its name comes from Franco of Senheim, who lived there in the 14th century. Presumably, in the beginning, there was no entrance at ground level. In 1308, the building was reduced by half, and the upper storeys were replaced by a lean-to roof; in 1938, Franco's Tower was reconstructed to its original form.
Franco's Tower may be viewed only from the outside