Worms Restaurants

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Pfister Zunft - historical tavern: Dine and lunch in Medieval style :-) Pfister

by Trekki Updated Apr 4, 2011

Pfister Zunft - delicious lamb lettuce salad

No heading can ever describe this marvellous restaurant and atmosphere and the very much delicious dishes. Last Sunday (March 4) I was heading south, wanted to get deep into Palatine. But as the weather was too good, I made a short detour to Worms to take photos of the bridge and another Nibelungen monument close to the Rhine. So I stopped at the parking lot and when walking towards the river, saw the house “Pfister Zunft” and the painting at the wall. I thought well, I’ll have a coffee here on my way back. But as soon as I stepped in, I knew it would be more than only a coffee :-).
    The interior decoration is magic – Medieval atmosphere everywhere. Even the waitresses are dressed in Medieval costumes. I sat down, got my coffee and had a chat with the owner (photo 2). She told me that she belongs to a group of people in Worms ( Die Freigewandeten; no real translation, Gewand means garment, vesture, robe), which keeps Medieval traditions. They held Medieval style markets in summer and offer guided tours through Worms with emphasis on Medieval days. This all reflects in the whole restaurant concept – furniture, decoration, costumes, dishes and even on the menu, the words for the dishes are given in Medieval German (but explained). The dish plates are handmade, lovely pottery.

Favorite Dish: I will come more often to eat myself through the menu (and to report accordingly, lol), as it was hard to decide from the big and delicious sounding selection.
    So I chose a milk coffee and a lamb lettuce salad (see photos) with roasted ham and mushrooms (fresh ones!!). Mmmhh, it was more than delicious and also smelled wonderful (Balsamico dressing). Milk coffee was 2,50 thaler, salad 6,90 thaler – but they would also accept Euros (lol).
    Make sure, you also check their pastries, made according to old recipes and definitely with only organic ingredients (photo 4).
    Update, March 26, 2007:
    I had their bread with different selection of spreads - very much delicious !! (photo 3)

They also have a small selection of goods, such as handmade soap (ahh, lovely aroma) and pottery. But as this is artwork itself, I’ll write a special tip about it for shopping.

They have seating for around 30 people, left and right of the bar.

Opening hours:
    Wednesday to Saturday from 5 p.m. on, Sunday 12 a.m. to 6 p.m.
    (but better check by phone, as they sometimes open earlier).

Oh, and thanks Robert for asking - Zunft translates into guild, and Pfister is the old name for bakery or baker's trade, craft.

• leafmcgowan's Profile Photo

Schmitt's: Schmitt's (Worms, Germany)

by leafmcgowan Written Apr 7, 2009

Address is believed to be "Richard-Knies-Str. 87, Worms - +49 6241 95813-0" but unfortunately my German is not so good and it was hard to search for online. This Tavern is located a few streets away from the Lincoln Theater in old town.
    A very quaint European tavern charm with delicious dishes and exquisite cooking. The service was friendly and very good. My daughter stated it as the best food she was served dining out since she's been in Germany for the last week. Memorabilia and multiple clocks decorate the walls. Tavern tables with eliquent settings. The Rump steaks were all very delicious, and I quite liked the one flamed in Pernod. The salads were decorative and tasty. Rating: 5 stars out of 5.

• Study Abroad
    • Beer Tasting

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Café Aqui: A break before sightseeing

by christine.j Written Sep 17, 2008

Coming from the train station we passed this nice café. Tables were out in the sun, many people were having a late breakfast or an early lunch and we decided to have a break before we had even started sight-seeing.
    We felt somewhat lazy, but after all, getting to know a town also means getting to know its restaurants, doesn't it?

It was a good decision. We chose the Paris and Mailand breakfast,both were very good and quite a lot of food. In fact, we couldn't finish it and packed some rolls for a snack later.

We paid 6,90 Euro per person.

• Trekki's Profile Photo

Vannini: YUMM icecream - all flavour you can think of

by Trekki Updated Apr 16, 2007

Ice Cream - YUMMMMMM

In summer, after or during all sightseeing and walking through the town, you will get hungry and thirsty. So why not go for an ice-cream ?

Ahh, it was not that warm when I was here recently, but when I saw all the different flavours, Vannini offered, I could not resist :-)
    Could you, haha ?

Favorite Dish: I didn’t count, but I would say they have around 30 different flavours, all you can think of. Nutella (haha) of course, chocolate, vanilla, lemon, chocolate mint, several fruit flavours, and several fancy ones (e.g. with blue curaçao). You also can sit behind the little parlor and have a cup of ice-cream – choose among 90 different kinds !

Ice-cream comes in cones or cups, per ball its 0,60 €.

Update April 15, 2007:
    Good news, the prices are still stable = 0,60 € per ball, and they also have added more flavours, such as Mozart, which tastes like eating Mozartkugeln .
    (oh sh*t, sorry, but a translation of Mozartkugeln into English would end up.... ridiculous)

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Cafe Lot: Cafe Lot

by Gili_S Written Dec 1, 2003

Worms

Well, I was only visiting this city for a few hours, so, after walking around for a while I took a break for cappuccino in this cafe lot. It is located in the city in a narrow street where you can find many souvenirs stores and some market stores.

• Knutt's Profile Photo

---- oops, don't remember: Flammkuchen at its best!

by Knutt Updated Oct 16, 2003

Worms

This place is just wonderful! Packed and noisy!
    There is a small beergarden and the restaurant with all the antique furniture (or is it just antique junk?) is really unique.

Favorite Dish: I went there twice and had the local speciality: Flammkuchen. It's kind of a pizza dough with sour cream and a variety of toppings. Wonderful and its size is amazing!

• bonio's Profile Photo

Hagenbrau: Hausbrauerei

by bonio Written Apr 10, 2003

OK what a surprise, managed to find a brewery in the city, and what a class one this is! Right beside the river, must be superb in good weather, but a great conservatory for drizzly days too. Food and beer excellent, Mrs Bonio happy with the vegetarian choices, Mr Bonio happy with the beer choices - recommended!

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

This restaurant

by Gili_S Written Dec 1, 2003

This restaurant was recommending to me but as my stay in Worms was too short I did not had the chance to taste its delicates. I guess I have to visit again and for longer time

Instant Answers: Worms

Comments

Worms Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Worms restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Worms sightseeing.