Bad Schandau Favorites

Looking back to Rathen

Most Recent Favorites in Bad Schandau

A streetcar of desire

by iandsmith Updated Nov 14, 2008

Favorite thing: There's a tram that travels between Bad Schandau and the Lichtenhainer Wasserfall, along the river Kirnitzsch. It's a distance of 8 km and the yellow historical tram stops at several places from which you can start your walking tours in the national park.
    Also, you take the so-called "rafts-men path" in the Kirnitzsch valley. In former times, the men who used rafts had transported wood on the river Kirnitzsch and used this path to take care that the wood didn't get stuck in the river.

Fondest memory: I'll never forget the squeal as the trams ground around the corners. It was disconcerting at times so loud was it.
    Another thing that amused me was the heating beneath the seats and the fact that these streetcars still ran....I loved it!
    The waterfall at the end of the ride is nothing to get excited about but some of the walks leading out are fairly special.

• Seniors
    • School Holidays

On the bastei

by iandsmith Written Nov 14, 2008
    Views over the Elbe

Favorite thing: The anticipation of getting to those spectacular stone bridges that I had seen so often in photos was magnetic. It didn't matter how tired I felt I was going to make it. As it turns out, you can reach the top comfortably in half an hour.

Fondest memory: As the craggy rocks got closer and then I moved between them (pic 3) there were views over the Elbe (pics 1 & 2), one of Europe's great rivers, here seen to best advantage where the rocky outcrops either side make for an impressive landscape.
    Then it's climbing ever higher until you reach the magical world of the stone bridges where a stone age settlement was probably in place and other people also lived there in later times.
    Surrounded by a bizarre array of spires of sandstone this is a special place in Germany yet few English speaking tourists venture there.
    At the very top there's a restaurant where those who don't want to do much walking can actually drive to but, for me, that would take more than half the enjoyment out of the trip.

Bastei climbing

by iandsmith Written Nov 14, 2008
    The lovely chateau like restaurant

Favorite thing: If you take the wrong turn at Kurort Rathen you will end up going past an old chateau style restaurant and accommodation perched enticingly over the Elbe.
    Should you go on further and take the proper track it is a much easier walk but you miss the atmosphere of the chateau. Pushing further on takes you through the woods with eye catching glimpses of rocks (pic 2 to 5).

Fondest memory: The forest is so different to what I'm used to in Australia and I know it is said that comparisons can be odious but I do miss the wildlife you get in the Aussie bush; many European forests seem sterile to my eye.
    Still, it is wonderful to be out in nature, climbing to those magical stairs and bridges on the Bastei.

The magnetic bastei

by iandsmith Updated Sep 5, 2008

Note rudder size on this museum piece

Favorite thing: It was so enticing. I'd seen the brochures, photos on the internet and, most tempting of all, I'd gone past on the train, unknowing at the time, en route from Prague to Berlin.
    Once seen, never forgotten and it gnawed at my soul. How those odd shapes beckoned me from afar. This time I was going to see them, and I'd already just visited Konigstein, the standout castle along the train route.
    Alighting at Oberrathen there's a small problem. There's a river between you and Rathen, the village at the southern end of the Bastei. Little did I know that most people come to the Bastei from the other end where there's also a sealed road to the top.

Fondest memory: Fortunately there's a ferry across the Elbe. Now, as I come from a country with the world's slowest river and the "major" one that flows through my town spends 40% of its time going backwards under tidal influence, I tend to have a little trouble when I come across real rivers that actually do flow and see ferries at about 45 degrees trying to make some headway against the flow. Frankly, it fascinates me.
    What really shook me the second time I visited was that the ferry had no motor! Indeed, it was tethered to something or other upstream and simply used the incessant force of the current and a huge rudder to move from one side to the other - amazing!
    Once across, I knew the way to go since I'd visited the previous year and it was just over five minutes later when we left the village of Rathen and soon after started the climb (pic 2).

• School Holidays

• himalia11's Profile Photo

Hiking in the National Park

by himalia11 Updated Sep 27, 2006

Direction signs

Favorite thing: On most parking sites where you can start to walk into the National Park you'll find a map and recommended hiking tours. There are lots of signed hiking trails, and everything is really great signed. At every crossing, there’s a direction sign, and in some cases it even gives information about how long it will take to go somewhere which fit pretty well in our cases. The signs are also found sometimes on the trees so that you know that you're still on the correct path. I've never been in an area that had so much well-signed hiking trails! There are also cycle tracks through the National Park, which is street-like.
    The National Park has a "core zone", signs will show when you enter one. In this core zone, you are only allowed to walk on signed paths.

Instant Answers: Bad Schandau

Comments

Bad Schandau Favorites

Reviews and photos of Bad Schandau favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bad Schandau sightseeing.