Bautzen Off The Beaten Path

  • monument for the victims
    monument for the victims
    by german_eagle
  • cemetery
    cemetery
    by german_eagle
  • chapel
    chapel
    by german_eagle

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Bautzen

  • german_eagle's Profile Photo

    Klix parish church

    by german_eagle Written Jun 15, 2014
    4 more images

    The Ev.-Lutheran parish church in Klix, a village a few km north of Bautzen, is quite an impressive Neo-Romanesque building from 1893 (architect: Theodor Quentin) with beautiful interior. The Baroque steeple is a leftover of the previous church from 1702.

    The inside impresses the visitor with the dark wooden furniture and ceiling and with the works of art from earlier centuries. The sandstone altar (pic 2) is a composition from 1702, the pieces mostly 17th century, the alabaster reliefs with amazing details from 1544. The predella has a Last Supper painting from 1702. The ornate pulpit (pic 3) is also from 1702, the octagonal baptismal font from 1688.

    Real gems are the many epitaphs in the church. The one for Franz von Nostitz (died in 1576) has a painting of the Cranach workshop, depicting the crucifixion and the benefactor and his family in the foreground (pic 4). There are some more epitaphs from Renaissance and Baroque in the choir and nave, but I liked those in the entrance hall from the 16th/17th century best (pic 5).

    Open daily 7 - 18 h.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • german_eagle's Profile Photo

    Gaussig parish church

    by german_eagle Updated Jun 15, 2014
    Gaussig, parish church
    4 more images

    The Ev.-Lutheran Martin's church in Gaussig was built in Neo-Romanesque style according to plans of Carl August Schramm in 1873/74. It is a smaller copy of Johannis church in Zittau, not really a surprise as the architect was the same guy. Gaussig was one of the latest parishes in Saxony where the Lutheran Reformation was introduced (1619).

    The interior is mostly originally preserved, there are also a few remains from the previous church on this site: Most remarkable is the medieval wooden altar from 1472, with wood-carved figures in the centre, depicting Maria, St. Katherine and St. Barbara (pic 4), and there is a woodcarved figure of the previous main altar left, now on one of the pillars in the nave (pic 5). The organ from 1873/74 is opus No. 2 of organ builders Eule in Bautzen, their oldest preserved one.

    Church plays a big role in Gaussig. The parish runs a school and kindergarten/day care, there are lots of events during the year in Gaussig, and the services (Mon-Fri 8 am, Wed 12 am, Fri 3 pm, Sun 9 am) are well attended. Quite amazing for this small village.

    The church is open Mon-Wed and Fri 8-12, or just ask in the vicarage next door.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • german_eagle's Profile Photo

    Quatitz parish church

    by german_eagle Written Jun 1, 2014

    1.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Ev.-Lutheran parish church Quatitz
    4 more images

    The village Quatitz, located about 5 km north of Bautzen on a hill above the reservoir, has a nice ev.-Lutheran church. It was built according to plans of Ernst Giese in Neo-Romanesque style 1898/99. The most remarkable piece inside is probably the original altar painting by Karl Gottlob Schönherr, depicting Christus as Good Shepherd. The font in Neo-Gothic style, the two magnificent chandeliers of leaded crystal and the organ with 1400 pipes by renowned organ builder Eule (Bautzen) are still originally preserved from 1899.

    Open daily 9 - 18 h.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • german_eagle's Profile Photo

    Soviet cemetery

    by german_eagle Updated May 1, 2014
    4 more images

    On the green promenade along the former (outer) city walls, corner Ziegelwall and Muskauer Straße, is a cemtery that commemorates the Soviet soldiers that died in the battle of Bautzen in WWII in 1945. The graves are simple, plain granite plates with the names engraved. A tall obelisk with the golden star on top is in the centre, another granite block has an inscription telling us it was the 13th armoured infantry regiment of the Red Army that fought here.

    A few metres outside the cemetery, toward the Ziegelwall promenade, is another small monument for other victims of the Nazis: 92 Soviet and Polish people were murdered by the Nazis in the small town Wuischke near Bautzen in the last days of WWII (pic 5).

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • german_eagle's Profile Photo

    Karnickelberg Memorial Site

    by german_eagle Updated Jan 31, 2014

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Chapel (right) and entrance (left)
    4 more images

    Beside the infamous Stasi prison there is another memorial site in Bautzen that commemorates the victims of Communist dictatorship who died in the Bautzen prisons. But hardly anyone knows about it or visit. Be forewarned, it is a quite sombering and even depressing experience. Nonetheless, and although listed under "Off the Beaten Path", I think it's a *must do* when visiting Bautzen.

    Karnickelberg (rabbit hill) is right next to what is now the Bautzen Penitentiary. The soviet troops established a special camp here in 1945. At first it was for Nazis and war criminals, but soon people opposed to the communist/stalinist dictatorship were imprisoned in the camp. From May 1945 till February 1950 about 27,000 political prisoners were brought to that special camp, about 3,000 of them died - caused by inhuman conditions, hunger, sickness, coldness. In 1950 the camp was given over to the GDR authorities, only in 1956 the latest prisoners were discharged.

    The prisoners who died were hastily buried in a mass grave at Karnickelberg. After the wall came down, in the 1990s, the disarticulated bones of 248 victims were found and re-buried, a small monument and later a chapel were erected. The whole area was landscaped, some families of victims erected gravestones. The names of all the 3,000+ victimes are on plates in the chapel. Only recently the son of a victim made a huge donation to the association that takes care of the Memorial site, so the area could be enlarged, more research could be done and more disarticulated bones were found and re-buried.

    The Memorial site is open during the day, for visits of the chapel call ahead: Mon, Wed, Fri 10 - 12 h, telephone 03591 - 42521 (or through email, see website.)

    Directions: From Reichenturm take Wendischer Graben street (in front of the big hotel) left, walk on until you reach the park that was the former city wall area (Am Stadtwall). Turn left, after 50 m right into Behringstraße. At the crossroad with Talstraße you see the Penitentiary to your right, follow the wall to the left, uphill - you see the Memorial site in front of you, see pic 1. Takes about 10 - 15 minutes from Reichenturm.

    See also the travelogue.

    Related to:
    • Museum Visits
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • german_eagle's Profile Photo

    Osterweg path

    by german_eagle Written Sep 22, 2012

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Burgwasserturm
    4 more images

    One of the nicest walking paths in the old town/castle district is the so called "Osterweg." It starts at the southern entrance to the castle district, just outside the gate, and leads without any ups and downs around the castle, ending at the Hofrichterhaus where you can either walk up some stairs and through a small portal on the castle yard or walk down to the Gerberviertel (tanner district) by the river.

    Really nice are the tunnel under the Burgwasserturm, a fortification tower, and the views from the path. Especially in the evening you may rest on a bench and enjoy the sun.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Castles and Palaces

    Was this review helpful?

  • german_eagle's Profile Photo

    Schiller Gymnasium (High School)

    by german_eagle Written Sep 22, 2012

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    4 more images

    There are numerous public buildings south and east of the old town that were built around 1900, when the city walls were torn down and replace by nice parks and promenades. One of these buildings is the Schiller Gymnasium, a publi High School. It was built 1899 - 1900 in a mix of Neo-styles and Art Nouveau. The main facade is ornate, the main staircase is beautiful with a wooden ceiling. Showpiece is the auditorium (aula) with its originally preserved Art Nouveau decoration/interior.

    On European Heritage Day we were fortunate enough to catch an organ recital in the auditorium. They do have these recitals from time to time, check their schedule for dates.

    Address: Schilleranlagen 2
    Next to Neue Wasserkunst.

    Related to:
    • Music
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • german_eagle's Profile Photo

    Neue Wasserkunst

    by german_eagle Updated Sep 22, 2012

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    4 more images

    Neue (new) Wasserkunst was part of the city walls as well as a significant part of the water system of the town. It was built 1606 - 10, was severely damaged in 1620 (30years war) and reconstructed only 1724/25. Unfortunately not much is preserved inside, thus it is also only open on special occasions like European Heritage Day.

    The views from the top are not overly exciting (see pic 4), more rewarding is the view from the balcony half way up (pic 5) which allowed a look on the medieval market that was held at the foot of the tower (see the guy in the tub? LOL) Quite interesting was also the antique book market on the several floors inside the tower - I bought some books for very little money.

    Neue Wasserkunst is located a bit upstream from the big bridge across the Spree valley, about 5 minutes to walk from Lauenturm (Am Neutor).

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • german_eagle's Profile Photo

    Nicolai Tower

    by german_eagle Written Sep 22, 2012

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Nicolai Tower
    4 more images

    Nicolai Tower was part of the city walls, it marks one of the city gates. The tower and gate are still well preserved, the tower is only open on special occasions - like on European Heritage Day. The tower as you see it nowadays was erected in 1522, previously it was mostly a wooden construction.

    The stairs and floors inside are new, reconstructed. You can see an exhibit on the history of the city walls and this particular tower. Very nice was that the local branch of the Soroptimist Club provided yummy food and drinks for little money. All the money was donated to social projects for the poor.

    The views from the top are nice. You can see the Spree river valley, some towers, have an unusual view of the cathedral St. Petri with its tower, and you see the St. Nicolai churchyard/cemetery.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • german_eagle's Profile Photo

    Liebfrauenkirche - Church of Our Lady

    by german_eagle Updated Jun 24, 2012

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Liebfrauenkirche seen from Reichenturm
    4 more images

    This catholic church is open during daytime in summer. In winter it was always closed when I was there.

    The church is located across the street from Reichenturm, just outside the immediate old town. The original style is Gothic but after damages the church was reconstructed and redesigned several times, most recently 1970-73. The rose window in the western facade is neo-gothic (1879/80).

    The crucifixion group with Mary and John on the main altar is from the 17th century, a beautiful work (pic 3). The Baroque painting on the northern wall (pic 4) depicts the Holy Trinity and is from the former main altar (18th century). Quite nice is also the Miraculous Madonna, a copy of the painting in Genazzano/Italy with sorbian inscription (18th century, pic 5).

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • german_eagle's Profile Photo

    Schloss and Park Gaußig

    by german_eagle Written Jun 12, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Schloss Gau��ig
    4 more images

    Schloss Gaußig is one of the largest and best preserved mansions in the region. It was home of the wealthiest family in the Upper Lausitz, Grafen von Schall-Riaucour. The present building goes back to the construction works around the year 1700. In 1750 the property was bought by Hermann Carl Graf von Keyserling. (Side info: He couldn't sleep well and asked J. S. Bach to compose some nice music for him. Graf von Keyserling's pianist Goldberg played that music in sleepless nights - known as "Goldberg Variations") In 1766 Graf von Riaucour bought Schloss Gaußig. The communists confiscated it in 1945.

    Nowadays the Schloss is a fancy hotel. Even if it's not in your price range you can join a guided tour that takes place every first Thursday of the month. Call ahead (or email), contact info on the website below. The interior is well worth to see, it was beautifully restored some years ago.

    The park is for the largest part accessible anyway (summer 9 - 19 h). It is beautiful, with a pond, magnificent rhododendrons/azaleas. The perfect season is late spring when the rhododendron is in bloom.

    Gaußig is about 8 km southwest of Bautzen. Car is best, public transportation is infrequent, sorry.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Castles and Palaces
    • Romantic Travel and Honeymoons

    Was this review helpful?

  • german_eagle's Profile Photo

    Bishop Benno house

    by german_eagle Written Jun 12, 2011

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Bishop Benno house
    4 more images

    The Bishop Benno house is a former manor in lovely rural setting in the village Schmochtitz, about 6 km west of Bautzen. A beautiful Baroque manor with large park was built by August von Schönberg in the early 18th century but, alas, this beauty was destroyed in WWII.

    In 1926 the catholic bishop of Meißen bought the property and turned it into a seminary. Between 1927 and 1945 95 priests got their education here. After the manor was destroyed the catholic church gave up on educating priests here but kept the property which had a large farmland around the manor - as they were church owned they were not confiscated by the communists. In 1986 they started constructing a new education centre in the old measurements but modern style. In a side wing a new chapel was built in 1975, the interior was created by Friedrich Press (always open).

    Nowadays the visitor can see the chapel, have a look at the old economy buildings, orangery (now apartments) and stroll through the beautiful restored park with ponds, creek, sandstone sculptures and beautiful trees. Unfortunately it was too early in spring when I visited so the pictures don't show the whole beauty of it.

    While the Benno house is mainly thought as education centre they do have events for everyone - like concerts - and it is also a popular overnight stay for bikers on multi-day trips.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Religious Travel
    • Cycling

    Was this review helpful?

  • german_eagle's Profile Photo

    Millenium Monument

    by german_eagle Written Jun 12, 2011

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Millenium Monument
    4 more images

    In the Holy Year 2000 a monument was erected a few miles west of Bautzen at a crossroad on a hill, initiated by the Catholic Sorbs to express their Christian faith. The large granite stone symbolises Jesus Christ who is root of the Christian religion. The smaller stones around it symbolise the growing faith.

    Two statues represent two apostles - Cyrill, the blessing monk, and Method, the bishop (with book in his hand) - who brought the Christian religion to the Slavs in the 9th century. They developed the Slavic literary language, translated the bible and celebrated liturgy in this language. Their importance caused Pope John Paul II to raise Cyrill and Methodius to patron saints of Europe in 1980.

    The road where the monument was erected was once a very important trading road (Via Regia) where Christian beliefs were transported as well as goods. Nowadays the major roads run a few miles north and south of this place. It's a quiet place with nice panoramic views.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • german_eagle's Profile Photo

    Courthouse

    by german_eagle Updated Jun 10, 2011

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Courthouse
    4 more images

    The courthouse together with the former prison, now Memorial site (see General Tip), form an impressive complex. The courthouse has a much nicer appearance, of course, is - so to speak - the front of the whole complex, with a beautiful square with flower beds and trees right in front of the main facade/entrance (Lessingstr. 7).

    The courthouse was built 1902-06. It is very ornate, details of the decoration are in Art Nouveau style. Don't hesitate to go in and see the stunning interior - it's a public building. Most impressive are the huge staircase with a reticulated vault and only in the 1990s re-discovered fresco painting (pics 2 and 3).

    The jury courtroom is always open if there's no hearing/trial. It has beautiful, dark wooden panels and ceiling with marquetry, above the doors woodcarved reliefs. Unfortunately not accessible nowadays is the former apartment of the court president. These rooms are now the prosecutor's offices.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • german_eagle's Profile Photo

    Taucher church and cemetery

    by german_eagle Written Feb 18, 2010

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    interior of Taucher church
    4 more images

    The Taucher cemetery was consecrated in 1523. Aside from the nice landscaped grounds it has some special sights. At first there is the church with the same name, built 1598/99 and restored 1662 after damages in the 30-years war. The church is quite simple, bright white interior, worth to mention are the Baroque patronage box, pulpit and altar. What it makes worth a visit are the many epitaphs of sandstone from the 17th and 18th centuries.

    On the cemetery you'll see a lot of burial vaults, about two dozens of them from the 18th century forming two rows - quite a sight. Most of them are beautifully restored. There is also an ossuary (close to the church, but right of the entrance) and in the centre of the cemetery you'll see the highlight: Francke's burial vault. The small two storey 'house' was built in 1745. Decorated portals on all four sides, in the middle of the ground floor the open tomb with a casket on lion's feet. Behind that on the wall a Baroque epitaph. Upstairs a room with trompe-l'oeil frescos.

    Location: Löbauer Strasse, two minutes from Villa Weigang and the Bautzen Memorial.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Bautzen

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

87 travelers online now

Comments

Bautzen Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Bautzen off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bautzen sightseeing.

View all Bautzen hotels