Bautzen Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Bautzen

Butcher Wenk

by german_eagle Written Jan 31, 2014

In case you've worked up a big appetite and want something hearty, then this butcher shop is a good choice. Mon - Fri they offer a surprisingly large variety of food during lunch time (roughly 11 am - 3 pm). They always have potato soup, soljanka, goulash, bratwurst, chicken wings, Leberkäse, pasta variations ... In addition they have dishes that change from day to day (see their up-to-date website), for example pork or turkey steak, potato casserole variations, peppers filled with meat, fish and vegetarian choices. A main dish is 3.50 Euro (!), soups are 2.20 Euro e.g.

They have two tables seating three each in their shop, but if that's not enough they open another room where you can eat. Self service, very friendly (and patient with undecided customers) staff.

Favorite Dish: We had potato casserole with slices of pork ham, cream sauce and cheese topping, sort of "chicken nuggets" and veggies (pic 2), and bratwurst with curry sauce, roast potatoes and sauerkraut (pic 3) - each for 3.50 Euro! And it was yummy and very filling!

Cafe and Pastry shop Marx

by german_eagle Updated Jan 31, 2014

This is my favourite cafe in Bautzen. Unfortunately it is not located in the old town - it is right half way between the old town and the train station. They can look back at 100 years of tradition as a family run bakery, the cafe was opened in 1996 at this place.

They do not use pre-fabricated dough or so, no preserving agent, no synthetic flavours, no flavour enhancer - and it shows. Everything is yummy here.

Have a seat inside or outside overlooking the relatively busy square and do some people watching.

Service is very good; fast but not hectic, friendly, attentive.

Update: Was back there in 2014: They have "Baumkuchen" (cylindrical cake built up of horizontal layers with chocolate icing) - which is delicious - but since an entire piece (4.10 Euro) was too much for me they offered to sell it to me for take-away price, provided plate and knife plus pastry fork so I could cut off and eat as much as I wanted right there; I ordered cappucino and had a very enjoyable time in the cafe. Excellent service!

Favorite Dish: I had several cakes and fruit cakes (raspberry, strawberry e.g.) which were yummy. Latte macchiato was very good, ditto the Darjeeling tea. Prices are very reasonable: Coffee is 1.60 Euro, cappuccino is 2.30 Euro (in 2014).

Restaurant Wjelbik: Sorbian food

by german_eagle Updated Sep 26, 2013

vaulted hall

Your best option to try local food in Bautzen's old town is the restaurant Wjelbik. The restaurant is located in a vaulted hall, the remaining part of the 600 years old townhouse that was severely damaged in WWII. The waitresses are dressed in Sorbian garb and welcome you with bread and salt as the local tradition is.

Favorite Dish: We had cooked ox breast on a creamy horseradish sauce with a mix of vegetables and potatoes - the so called Sorbian Wedding Dish - (10.60 Euro) and a caramelized roasted apple with raisin filling and mango parfait (4.80 Euro) for dessert. Both delicious and perfect for cold winter days.

If you're a beer fan you *must* try the dark beer from the St. Marienthal convent brewery. We did (0.5 l glass 3 Euro). Yummy.

Eiscafe Italia: Have a break from shopping

by german_eagle Updated Jan 29, 2013

young folks have a shopping break

Sometimes even a dedicated non-shopper has to go shopping. The Kornmarkt Center is an average shopping mall, not too big and not too crowded and right in the city centre which is a plus in my book. After a (short) while I use to get tired of shopping, though, and start looking for a place to have a break. These modern Italian cafes are not exactly my favourites, but this one is not too sterile. And it is a great place for people watching :-)

Update: I went back in 2013. It's still a great place for people watching. Especially if the weather is unpleasant (rain).

Favorite Dish: I had tuna crêpe and a strawberry juice. While the juice was really excellent (and quite pricey) the crêpe was just ok. The bill was 7 Euro, almost exactly USD 10.

Update: In 2013 no crêpes anymore. I just had a hot chocolate, which was not good. Too watery. The waitress said they made it with milk, but I cannot believe it, sorry. She was very friendly and apologetic about it, offered not to charge and to serve something else instead. Looking around I saw most people had ice-cream, that's what I'd try next time, I guess.

Culinarium

by german_eagle Updated Jun 24, 2012

I had walked by this restaurant a couple of times before but for some odd reasons never went in, so in June 2012 we decided to give it a try for lunch on a weekday. The weather was mild and sunny, their terrace looked inviting with shady seating, the menu was promising.

Location is in a small cobbled alley in the old town toward the castle, vis-a-vis the monks' church ruin. They also have some tables in a vaulted dining room (looked fancy with white tablecloth and nice silverware) plus some tables in more rustic style in the front room by the bar (pic 5), but we opted for the terrace.

Service was impeccable. Although we arrived at almost 2 pm and they serve lunch only until 2.30 pm, they pepared dessert without batting an eye at 3 pm. Thumbs up!

Favorite Dish: The lunch offer that day was carrot-ginger soup, Tarte Flambee with a cucumber-dill salad, coffee or espresso - for 8.90 Euro. We also ordered a glass of each cherry spritzer/rhubarb spritzer. For dessert we had their chocolate symphony for two (milk chocolate ice-cream with cherries, chocolate-nougat tarte, white mousse au chocolate with pistachio) for 9.90 Euro. All in all the check was 36 Euro for two. (Btw, prices on the regular menu - for dinner e.g. - are very reasonable also.)

The food was *delicious* - everything freshly prepared, beautifully presented and served with charm. I found out the chef has worked in Switzerland and Austria for 12 years and opened this restaurant in Bautzen in 2009. Truly a gain for the town and highly recommended!

Cafe Enjoy: Lounge and bar

by german_eagle Written Jun 10, 2011

Cafe Enjoy

Right on the main square of Bautzen, vis-a-vis the town hall, is this cafe located. In summer they have some tables outdoor on the square, perfect for people watching. For smokers: They do have a separate room for you folks!

The interior is quite stylish, modern, quite nice ambience. I'd say it's more a cafe for the afternoon and a lounge/bar for the evening than a restaurant, though. Staff was friendly and helpful.

We ordered a fruit salad that was really fresh and tasty, they also honoured special wishes (I do not eat kiwi e.g.). Latte macchiato was pretty good, too. Prices are quite low, the check was less than 10 Euro for both of us if I recall correctly.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Altstadtbrauhaus: Altstadtbrauhaus

by richiecdisc Updated Apr 4, 2011

a nice photo but would rather have had their beer

Ok, I admit it. It was not only an iconic image in my mind that set this trip to Bautzen in motion, it was also my getting a new German beer guide. This one was not relegated to Bavaria and soon my father-in-law was ready to drive me around in search of the best of Saxony's beers.

Favorite Dish: Unfortunately, we did not count on the fact that the brewery would be under renovation over the Christmas holidays. It seems like a bad time to do such a thing but I guess it just means we have to go back again one day. It looked like a cozy little place and from their website they make both a maibock and a marzen, two of my favorite of German beer styles. Indeed, a return trip is in order!

• Beer Tasting

• german_eagle's Profile Photo

Crepes Boulangerie: Crepes anyone?

by german_eagle Written Aug 6, 2010

My meal

If you're looking for a quick snack inbetween you might consider this place. They have really tasty baguettes with meat, cheese - whatever you wish, many sorts of tarte flambee and a wide selection of crepes. They also offer all kinds of coffee, hot chocolate, tea and typical French specialties like cidre.

The service is friendly, quick and knowledgeable. I picked a table outdoor as the weather was nice but I later found out that it was very nice inside as well. The house is hundreds of years old and they had turned the rooms with the vaulted ceilings into really cosy places to kill some time.

Favorite Dish: I had crepe with strawberries and vanilla ice-cream which (was quite good) plus a Latte Macchiato (very good). I paid 6 Euro incl. tip.

Das Jannasch: Coffee and cake and more

by german_eagle Updated Jan 27, 2010

Cafe Das Jannasch

A nice place for a break during shopping or sightseeing is Cafe Jannasch. Granted, it is located outside the immediate old town, but only two minutes from Reichenturm or City museum, and it is right between the old town and the train station. So, if you arrive early by train you might want to have breakfast there, or if you leave earlier in the afternoon by train you can finish your visit with cofee and cake there. I'd calculate 8-10 minutes max. from the cafe to the train station - longer if you visit in winter when the streets and trottoirs are snow/ice covered ;-)

The cafe has quite a long tradition at this place; I remember that I had coffee and cake there even before the wall came down. Now it is run by the bakery Fehrmann across the street, so cakes, rolls etc. are always fresh and yummy.

There are tables by the large windows, good for people watching :-), and tables in the back, in smaller rooms if you want to have your quiet.

Favorite Dish: I had a piece of Baumkuchentorte - a fancy cake, very delicious but creamy :-) and latte macchiato. I paid 5 Euro incl. tip - a steal.

Cafe Schwerdtner

by german_eagle Written Jan 20, 2010

Bakery/Cafe Schwerdtner

Schwerdtner is a family-owned big bakery with headquarter in Löbau, a small town between Bautzen and Görlitz. They have shops and cafes all over Eastern Saxony, from Dresden to Görlitz - and two in Bautzen. Their bread, rolls and cakes are very good.

The small cafe in Bautzen I went to is at Reichenstrasse, right in the old town, in a nice old townhouse - see pictures.

Favorite Dish: I had plum cake and latte macchiato. Good but nothing extraordinary. Wait staff very friendly and quick.

Restaurant "Zur Apotheke"

by german_eagle Written Jan 20, 2010

Restaurant interior

This restaurant is located in a typical small Baroque house with was built after the big fire in 1686 using the remaining vaulted rooms on the lower floor/cellar that withstood the fire. This (and the tasteful interior) makes it a place with very cosy ambience. The house has been an apothecary from 1699 until 1903. With regards to the apothecary they still use a lot of herbs nowadays ...

Favorite Dish: To be honest, it's been a while that I had lunch there. With help from the pictures I believe to recall I had gnocchi, sliced beef and a bit of salad plus a glass of white wine. I *do* remember, though, that it was delicious.

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

Wjelbik: Sorbian Cuisine

by Kathrin_E Written Dec 27, 2009

The vaulted hall

"Wjelbik" translates to "cellar" and that's where the restaurant is located, in a cosy vaulted hall. Being in the country of the Sorbian minority, taste their local food. The restaurant offers many traditional dishes. The waitresses are dressed in Sorbian costume and welcome you in Sorbian, offering bread and salt.

Favorite Dish: We had the so-called Sorbian Wedding Dish, which consists of slices of cooked beef in horseradish sauce, similar to Tafelspitz, with mixed vegetables and potatoes.
    The dark beer from Marienthal monastery went perfectly with it.

Dessert was a roasted apple with raisin filling and mango parfait - yummy!!!!

• trvlrtom's Profile Photo

Burghof: Good dining in an old atmosphere

by trvlrtom Written Dec 2, 2007

Restaurant picture from their website.

We only had one day in Bautzen and weren't sure of how to choose a good restaurant. We asked in a shop and they recommended Burghof, close to the city walls. We were not disappointed. There is a small patio for outside dining, with tables circling a fountain. The atmosphere was great, as well as the food. I'd return here on another visit.

Instant Answers: Bautzen

Comments

Bautzen Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bautzen restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bautzen sightseeing.