Dresden Restaurants

• Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Dresden

Cafe Weinberg

by german_eagle Written Feb 2, 2014

This gem of a restaurant-cafe is located in the southern outskirts in a nice residential area. The name "Weinberg" refers to the former vineyards (from about 1650 to 1890) at this south-facing hillside. A visit of this cafe is recommended for the architecture alone: It was built 1913, the interior was designed by Richard Riemerschmid, done by Werkstätten Hellerau. Most of it is originally preserved, a few items were reconstructed in 2008.

It is surprisingly large, with several separate rooms, a cosy corner here and a sunny veranda there, a terrace is also there in case the weather co-operates. Beautiful view of the Kaitzbach glen below and even some of Saxon Switzerland's flat-top mountains in the far distance.

Service is friendly, relaxed, not overly quick. The whole place has a neighbourhood/family-run ambience.

For opening hours see their website, generally spoken closed on Mondays, Tuesdays/Wednesdays from 2 pm, the rest of the week from lunch time to late evening.

Favorite Dish: We had a piece of Black Forest fancy cake (good, but too much cherry-schnapps used) and a piece of raspberry-yoghurt fancy cake (delicious!) - 3.10 Euro per piece, which is a bit overpriced - a cup of coffee (1.70 Euro) and a cappuccino (2.20 Euro).

Tapas Barcelona

by german_eagle Updated Dec 8, 2013

Tapas Barcelona at the corner right

My favourite Spanish restaurant in Dresden is located in the Weisse Gasse district, which is better known as pub/hangout place after work and at night. But this restaurant offers excellent Spanish food, mostly tapas in endless variations. The ambience is very nice, the staff is friendly, competent, quick, attentive.

They have very reasonable (inexpensive and yummy) lunch offers, check their website for that.

For the evening a reservation is highly recommended. We showed up at 5.30 pm and the place was already busy. By 6.30 pm they had no tables available anymore.

They are open 11 am - 1 am, Fri/Sat until 2 am.

Favorite Dish: Tapas that we had were e.g. Albondigas de Carne, Conejo de Pimiento, Jamon Serrano, Queso Manchego, Calamares fritos. A big basket of bread is free. The tapas are mostly 3.80 Euro - 4.80 Euro only if it is very special. We had a half litre of Ibericos red wine, a half litre sparkling water, and coffee. Everything was absolutely delicious and nicely presented, more than enough for two people. The check was 55 Euro incl. tip.

Update: Was back in Dec 2013 and unfortunately must report that the food was disappointing. The serrano ham was so bad we had to send it back - they only reluctantly accepted, but after they tried a bite themselves they agreed the taste was odd and cut slices from another piece. The pork (in cheese gravy) was still bloody inside. Yuck. The beef fillet pieces were tough, definitely too long in the pot. The calamari were not good, either. The red wine sauce that was supposed to accompany the rabbit liver really killed any taste of the liver.

Maybe it was just bad luck because the restaurant was really crowded (during Christmas market season, and a snowstorm made people run to restaurants.) However, I'll not return too soon.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

HOTEL SMETANA RESTAURANT: THE ABSOLUTE BEST!

by balhannah Updated Dec 7, 2013

Local Trout

Located across the road from the Hotel Smetana where we were staying, is their Restaurant. We decided to walk across the road, and see if the Restaurant was just as good as the Hotel
    First, the outside was very appealing and attractive. I loved the interior too, German style, very attractive, another tick from me!
    We made our way inside and waited to be seated. A few minutes, and a Waiter appeared - no losing customers here! Our coats were taken, then we were shown our table and seated. Our drinks were ordered and menu given. Drinks came quickly, we ordered our meal and in no time it was at our table. We noticed it was a busy Restaurant, full of German people, so obviously returning!

The service was excellent, so was the meal and we had a fantastic waiter! In saying that, all the staff were very nice and attentive.
    It was so good we came here for 3 nights, every night trying a typical German or Bohemian dish.
    Prices were very reasonable and our meals were cooked to perfection and a good size, desserts were to die for! - I really can't say enough about this Restaurant.
    Vegetarians - Your catered for too!

I know note, it has changed names, so I wonder if its changed hands? It was known as the "Golden Prague" in June 2013, now in November 2013, it is Restaurant Lampras.

OPENING HOURS
    Monday - Friday 5pm - midnight
    Sat-Sun 11.30am - midnight
    Holidays 11.30 am - midnight

• Seniors

IMBISS: QUICK - CHEAP MEAL

by balhannah Updated Dec 2, 2013

What to have for lunch is always a bit of a problem for us!
    Luckily, we were near the Culture Centre and saw an old car which had been converted into a place to sell German sausages. Plenty of people were queued, so we thought that was a good sign and joined them. We had a Bockwurst each which was really nice, no wonder the queue wasn't getting any shorter. At 1.5 euros, this was a very cheap and filling meal.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

Bäckerei Dreißig: EXCELLENT BAKERY!

by balhannah Updated Oct 18, 2013

My Morning tea

After a long walk into Dresden and spending some time looking at the Kreuzkirche, we were starting to feel a little hungry. We didn't have breakfast, so we decided to look for a Bakery.
    We didn't have to look far, for across the road from the Church, was Bäckerei Dreißig, an all glass Coffee shop & Bakery. It was busy, we always think this is a good sign, so in we went.

There was a huge choice of beautiful German cakes, what to choose was a real problem! The savouries, sandwiches and rolls looked very nice, so we decided to come back and have lunch here.
    We both chose something nice, mine was Apple, mmm, delicious! I can't remember what my husband had, but I can tell you, he was a happy person! We both enjoyed our drinks on a coolish morning. I had a Hot Chocolate and he had a Coffee. We liked sitting on high stools and looking out to the Altmarkt, fun people watching. It wasn't until afterwards, that I realized there was an upstairs eating area.
    For those of you who want to buy your own bread, the selection in this Bakery was of many different varieties.
    Service, food, position and cleanliness - all good!
    We wouldn't look anywhere else in Dresden for a cuppa & Cake!

OPEN.. Monday - Friday 7 - 7pm
    Saturday & Sunday 7 - 8pm

• Seniors

Restaurant No. 3

by german_eagle Updated Sep 26, 2013

Restaurant No. 3

This is one of many restaurants/bars in the Weisse Gasse district in the old town which is a popular dining and hangout place for both locals and tourists. I had supper here twice and thought it was quite good. I recall that the Fusilli with some sauce and parmigiano (7.80 Euro) were tasty, the chocolate cupcake (4 Euro) for dessert was nicely presented and delicious. The 0.2 l of organic Chardonnay (5.50 Euro) were excellent.

I came back with VTer yumyum for a late night drink and we each had a tasty black tea. Someone also had a yummy chocolate cupcake with vanilla ice-cream and whipped cream :-)

Prices are reasonable, service is usually good but can be a bit slow when the place is very busy - like later at night, especially when they have tables outdoor, too.

La Osteria

by german_eagle Written Sep 21, 2013

This is my favourite Italian restaurant in the old town. It is located in the "Weisse Gasse" restaurant/bar district, close to town hall and Kreuzkirche, where locals as well as tourists go for dining and hanging out after work and in the evenings. Interior is rather plain, not much in regards of decoration, more on the rustic side with dark wood. There's a gallery upstairs with a few tables, too, from where you have a good view of the ground floor. Large windows and - if the weather co-operates - tables outdoor provide excellent options for people watching.

Service is quick, friendly and competent. They have special lunch offers Mon - Fri, which is a big hit with the folks from surrounding offices (town hall!).

Favorite Dish: I ate there a couple of times, but only managed to snap some photos on my most recent visit during lunchtime. I had a lunch special, filetto di pollo (chicken filet) piccante with tagliatelle, capers, olives, a hot tomato sauce (chili) and parmigiano. Absolutely delicious and a steal for 6.80 Euro. I had a wheat beer with it (Schöfferhofer), which was good, too (3.90 Euro).

My co-worker had a pizza (Milano) which was very good but nothing to write home about.

No "pane e coperto", service is included, but they point out on the check that "tip is not included" - in English and not in German! Calls for no tip policy IMO.

Open Mon - Sun from 11 am.

Fischhaus Alberthafen

by german_eagle Updated Sep 14, 2013

One of the best restaurants in Dresden for fish & seafood is located right by the port in the Friedrichstadt district. Hardly any tourists come here, the area is off the beaten path. The restaurant is in the former social and cultural building of the port, erected in 1956. After a major redesign/-decoration the restaurant opened with maritime ambience in 1995. For example, there is a sea water aquarium with a capacity of 5,200 l inside. They also have a nice terrace with view of the port. In 2010 the owner changed and another redecoration was done - well done, I'd say.

Service is quick and friendly. Prices are a bit higher than usual, but you get excellent quality. Calculate about 15 Euro for a main course.

Favorite Dish: I had meals here several times. My favourite is the Lotte de Mer - totally yummy. It comes with ginger-honey carrots and baked potatoes.

Continue your Friedrichstadt walk here.

McDonalds: Burgers

by pieter_jan_v Updated Jul 16, 2013

McDonalds -Altmarkt - Dresden

Yes, McDonald is in Dresden too with the following branches:

Altmarkt - ECE-Center - 01067
    Wilsdruffer Strasse 19/21 - 01067 (McCafe)
    Pragerstrasse 4A - 01068 (McCafe)
    Hansastrasse - Neustadt - 01097 (McCafe + McDrive)
    Peschelstrasse 38 -A4 Autobahn- 01139 (McCafe + McDrive)

Favorite Dish: A salad

Pulverturm: Historical location

by pieter_jan_v Updated Jul 16, 2013

Pulverturm restaurant - Dresden

The Pulverturm is located at the place where the Powder Tower once stood. This tower was built in 1565, when the city walls were completed.
    In 1744 the tower was detroyed; only some outer walls remained partly.

In 1763 the construction of the so-called Coselpalais started.

Today, besides the street terrace, the restaurant has 4 basement, preserving the remaining parts of the previous buildings.

The restaurant serves Saxonian food, for instance suckling pig and traditional German dishes.

There's also a wine room offering many Saxonian wines fresh cheeses.

Business hours:
    Daily: 11AM - 1AM

El Perro Borracho: Cosy restaurant in the Neustadt Kunsthofpassage

by pieter_jan_v Updated Jul 15, 2013

El Perro Borracho - Dresden

El Perro Borracho is a Spanish restaurant with a small terrace in the middle of the Kunsthofpassage courtyard.

The restaurant offers tapas and typical other Spanish menu's and international dishes.

In the weekend brunches are served till 3PM; on other days lunches are served till 4PM.

Hours:
    Mo-Th: 11.30AM - 1AM
    Fr: 11.30AM - 2AM
    Sa: 10.30AM - 2AM
    Su: 10.30AM - 1AM

Favorite Dish: The lunch with Mexican beans.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Müntzgasse: A street full of bars and terraces

by pieter_jan_v Updated Jul 15, 2013

M��ntzgasse - Dresden

The Müntzgasse street to be for people watching. The bars all have a terrace offering a perfect opportunity for looking at others.

And not to be ignored: they offer excellent food and drink as well.

Coselpalais

by german_eagle Updated Jun 2, 2013

The Grand Cafe Coselpalais, located next to the Frauenkirche, is *the* place for fancy cakes. They also serve full meals, lunch and dinner, but it is overpriced IMO. However, their (fancy) cakes are not to beat! That's what draws me back to the place, again and again :-) That, and the ambience.

The building was destroyed in the bombing in 1945 and reconstructed in the 1990s. Lots of stucco, gold, chandeliers, the cakes and coffee/tea are partially served on Meissen porcelain - you get the picture.

I highly recommend the "Haustorte", their specialty fancy cake. Tea is also excllent, so are the coffee specialties. Their selection of regional and international wine is also very good and recommended.

Update from May 2013: I had their Harlekin Torte (fancy cake, see pic 3), absolutely delicious. Not too sweet, not too rich - just perfect. The dark chocolate on top didn't split into a dozen pieces when you dug into it, it was somewhat soft, just how I like it. Tea (Darjeeling) was also perfect. Afterward we had a long drink, Grapefruit liquor with (German) champagne (means Sekt) - yummy.

Service is attentive and friendly.

Pic 5 shows their fancy cakes counter ... mouth watering, isn't it?

Palais Bistro

by german_eagle Written May 15, 2013

This is one of the many restaurants in the five-star hotel Kempinski Taschenbergpalais. It is sort of the 'little brother' of the Gourmet restaurant "Intermezzo", and as the name indicates it is French cuisine, bistro style, but somewhat on the fancy side. Ambience is casual-elegant, white linen and silverware on the tables, large mirrors on the walls, chandeliers with odd colours on the ceiling (pic 5). Service is impeccable.

I have been here on several occasions earlier and over the years noted that the prices increased quite considerably - on my latest visit in 2013 I was sort of shocked by what I got for the money.

Favorite Dish: We had asparagus cream soup and a half portion of green salad with ruccola, grilled mushrooms and slices of parmigiano for starters - both very tasty. Main course was Coq au vin with grilled mushrooms, also half portion. The main course came without a side dish, so we opted for bread (4 slices of yummy baguette) for which they charged 4.50 Euro extra. LOL! The Coq au vin was tasty, but I've had better ones. We had 0.2 l of a rose wine each plus a bottle of mineral water.

The meal set us back 80 Euro (for two). Not sure it was worth the money. I doubt I'll go back.

• Luxury Travel

Schlossbar

by german_eagle Written May 15, 2013

This place is in the upscale Swissotel, a five-star hotel right in the old town by the Royal Palace, thus the name that refers to the "Schloss." The Schlossbar is the Swissotel's lobby bar and cafe, occupying the room to the left of the entrance and the main lobby. I have been there on several occasions, in the afternoon for coffee and cake and after opera performances for a drink or dessert and/or hot chocolate. If you plan to have your coffee or whatever in the lobby, then better give the waiter/barkeeper a notice because it is a bit away from the bar and he might not see you for a while. Otherwise service is perfect - friendly, attentive, competent. Prices are a bit higher than usual but not outrageous - and given the ambience (modern, quite stylish), the excellent options to do some people watching plus the quality of the food/drinks, the prices are absolutely justified.

Favorite Dish: I had a piece of local specialty cake "Eierschecke" and on another occasion a piece of chocolate fancy cake (filling like mousse au chocolat) e.g. - both delicious - and coffee resp. hot chocolate - also yummy.

• Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: Dresden

Comments

Dresden Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Dresden restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Dresden sightseeing.