Görlitz Nightlife

• german_eagle's Profile Photo

Camillo: Cinema and Bar

by german_eagle Written Sep 25, 2004

The bar

This place is typical for Görlitz - a small, cosy bar/restaurant with a small cinema and an art gallery in the same house. Very familiar atmosphere, it is a place to meet people.

They usually play unknown movies, not the blockbusters. Afterwards the crowd meets in the bar for a drink (or two ...). There is a special offer - if you are a bunch of six and make reservations two days ahead you get a meal (e.g. lamb plus potatoes plus French beans) for 10 Euro per person.

Tue - Sun from 6 pm

Dress Code: Casual

• Study Abroad

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Piwnica Staromiejska: a taste of Poland

by richiecdisc Updated Jul 22, 2006

great views of the city from the Polish side pub

My first mistake was not bringing my passport to Görlitz and I didn’t realize this until I walked across the bridge spanning the Neisse River to take a photo of the Peterskirche. I noticed that the pub there oddly had the Polish beer Zwiecs. I knew I was close to Poland but didn’t fully realize just how close until I noticed the border patrol at the other side of the bridge.

Obviously, I never got to go to this great looking little pub but if I had been there for an overnighter and had brought my passport, this is the place I would have headed. In my vivid imagination, they would have Zwiecs tasty porter on tap. It’s not very likely as I had a hard time finding it in Krakow but anyone that knows me well, knows I have a vivid imagination and when it come to beer, it knows few limitations. Next time, I'll find out for sure!

• Hiking and Walking
    • Beer Tasting

• german_eagle's Profile Photo

Theater Görlitz

by german_eagle Updated Sep 26, 2010

Theatre

Görlitz has an excellent theatre company and orchestra. They perform plays, operas, musicals/operettas, ballets and concerts. Prices are inexpensive - somewhere between 10 and 25 Euro, depending on the seat and kind of performance.

So far I attended two operettas ("Das Land des Lächelns" by Lehar, "Die Fledermaus" by Johann Strauß) and an opera ("The Legend of Tsar Saltan" by Rimsky-Korsakov) - all of them very, very good. I liked the beautiful productions a lot.

The building itself is worth a closer look, too. It was built 1850/51 in late classicistic style. The interior is very beautiful with stucco, gold etc. The chandelier is particularly beautiful. The most recent restoration took place in 2002.

Dress Code: Casual. For opening night or premieres dress up a tad.

• Music
    • Theater Travel

Instant Answers: Görlitz

Comments

Görlitz Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Görlitz nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Görlitz sightseeing.