Görlitz Restaurants

Schlesische Bratwurst

Most Recent Restaurants in Görlitz

• Krishna Indian Restaurant: Terrible Indian Restaurant

by Dreamtraveler006 Updated Oct 9, 2013

I was searching for Indian food and came across this place. Afterwards, I was told there is only ONE Indian restaurant in Görlitz and this was it. There goes eating Indian food if you live in Görlitz. Here we go. This is going to be rough.

I walked in and was greeted by a well dressed young German guy. He said something to me in German which I didn't understand. I said I didn't speak German. He then had an instant hissy fit like I ruined his day for having to speak to me in English. He told me to sit anywhere in English but the negativity and facial expression spewing from this guy was unbelievable. I really couldn't believe it. It was so ridiculous I thought this must be a joke. I'm tolerant of bad service since I've lived in Eastern Europe for years, but this takes the cake. At that point I was thinking the right thing to do would be to walk out because if it's this bad this quick it might be going even more downhill the longer I'm there. But I was so tired of walking around all day I figured I'd just sit it out and hope for the best. Big mistake. Although, I did end up with a good review so others don't waste time going to this restaurant.

When he handed me the menu I asked if he had wifi, he said no. But with such attitude. At that point I was feeling like this guy had just been in a fight 30 seconds ago with someone or something like that. His vibe was that thick and spewing of hostility. Maybe this is the GDR personality I've been hearing about but never really experienced yet?

At this point it was like having someone in the room who you are about to have a fight with. Can you imagine having this feeling in a restaurant after you've been there for 2 minutes? And some nutcase actually hired this guy to meet customers and serve them! LOL. OMG! What Twilight Zone episode am I in? :)

I made sure I didn't ask this guy ANYTHING so to lessen the amount of time he might be at my table. I didn't want to see him or have him come anywhere near my side of the room. It was that negative. And I haven't even gotten to the food yet! :)

I ordered what I wanted and didn't ask a thing to him. When he brought some items to the table it was with this stern, cold, serious demeanor and dropped things on my table like he could care less about it. He only wanted to be efficient. But who needs efficient with an attitude like this? The guy was outright scary.

The food comes crackling on the hot plate. Looking good. I ordered a tandoori mixed grill for 15.95 Euros. It had chicken which was dried out. Lamb that tasted funny. The 3 tandoori prawns were good! Finally something good in this story. The sauce was good too. The white rice was nothing special. The container the rice was in was cool. The bread was like a puffed thingy and that was good.

I know there are Indians cooking in the back because I can hear them talking and also the Indian music they are listening to. So they should know how to cook this food. Then an Indian guy showed up now by the bar area near where I was seated and I was hoping to get him to my table so I can pay and get the hell out of there. Luckily, I waved him over to get the bill and get out of dodge. The German waiter guy never came back once after he "delivered" my dinner and never asked me anything. Scary is an understatement for the vibe coming out of this guy.

In summary, on a 1-10 for Indian food, and I've had it all over the world, this place was a 3 where 10 is the best. I give it a 3 only because the prawns were good. Otherwise, the rating would be less. The price is too high for what you get also. Mediocre food combined with horrendous personality and demeanor from someone who is serving you and the place rates as absolutely abysmal. Forget this place for Indian food. I also have to rate the management of this place as moronic to hire such a ridiculous person to meet customers. If someone paid me to go to this restaurant and also pay for my food AND give me spending money afterwards I wouldn't go. Not until they get rid of this guy working there.

Favorite Dish: Are you kidding? Nothing.

• Singles
    • Seniors

Gasthof Goldene Sonne

by german_eagle Written Sep 22, 2012

In case you're looking for some fancier food in Görlitz then I highly recommend this place. It is located near Kaisertrutz, Reichbach tower and Theatre, somewhat hidden in a backyard. Watch out for the yellow gateway with the "golden sun" sign (pic 1).

The building looked to me like former stables with vaulted ceilings and pillars, nicely restored. Tasteful interior, white tablecloth even at lunchtime. The service was friendly and very competent but a bit 'cold' IMO.

Favorite Dish: I had a salad with bacon wrapped dates - absolutely delicious - and risotto with spinach and goat cheese for main course. YUMMY! The waitress recommended a glass of white wine (Vina Sol by Torres) which was pretty good, and I also had a small bottle of Gerolsteiner mineral water. The check incl. tip was 22 Euro. Not exactly inexpensive, but well worth the money.

Cafe Central

by german_eagle Written Sep 22, 2012

The name says it all: The location is the big draw. This cafe is on the pedestrian shopping street Berliner Straße, half way between railway station and the city centre. And - it's in a corner building, the cafe section is on the second floor, with large windows so you can watch what's going on on the street. Perfect!

On the ground floor is the bakery shop, it is a branch of the Schwerdtner bakeries, a small regional chain, owned by the family of the same name. They are growing rather fast, and I am wondering if that's going to find a happy ending.

Anyway, the service was very friendly and attentive, the food was good - I had a late "French" breakfast, two croissants with butter, honey, jam, nutella and a large milk coffee. 6 Euro all in all.

Pinguin Eisbar

by german_eagle Written May 5, 2012

Although the name "Eisbar" indicates it is an ice-cream parlor they do have a good selection of fine cakes - some are daily fresh from the bakery in the Cistercian convent St. Marienthal near Görlitz. And despite the oohs and aahs about the cups of ice-cream from neighbouring tables it was that what I chose - one of those yummy cakes - and also a latte macchiato. Prices are very reasonable, I paid 4.50 Euro for both.

The place is perfect for people watching: Right in the pedestrian zone Brüderstraße that leads from Obermarkt to Untermarkt. Like watching a catwalk :-)

Organic food

by german_eagle Updated May 5, 2012

In the train station is a relatively small grocery with organic food (see shopping tip) where they also serve meals. They have five or six tables if I recall correctly. I went there to have lunch which is served 11 am - 3 pm. I had baked potato-goat cheese pieces (like cookies) with creamy savoy cabbage - delicious. The choices are limited - about four or five different dishes, including soups - and mostly vegetarian, but a bratwurst is also available :-) Prices are very reasonable - I paid 5.90 Euro. I also had organic orange juice, don't know what I paid for that.

Service was friendly and very attentive. They even make changes if you are allergic to something - like zucchini-tomato mix instead of the creamy cabbage.

Open:
    Mon - Fri 8 am - 7 pm
    Sat/Sun 8 am - 4 pm

Cafe Parkhäuschen

by german_eagle Written Sep 17, 2011

Cafe Parkh��uschen

A nice place to rest and recover from sightseeing or for just spending a leisure hour chatting with friends is the Cafe in the Stadtpark. The green surrounding makes it most enjoyable to sit outdoor (weather co-operating) with view of the (in late April blooming) magnolia e.g.

The raspberry for the cake were most likely frozen but it didn't matter - yummy. Latte macchiato was very good. The service was attentive and quick. No complaints at all.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Vierradenmühle: tough to beat the location and view

by richiecdisc Updated Apr 4, 2011

incredible riverside location

I must admit I didn't eat at this incredibly located cafe but it has great views of the Neisse River, the Peterskirche and the Polish border town across the bridge. My first choice would be a Zwiecs in Poland but if you forget your passport, a beer here would offer the next best view.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

Zum Nachtschmied

restaurant interior

When I visited Görlitz with VTer Kathrin_E we had dinner in this restaurant. It is mostly frequented by locals and they serve hearty German/local food. The ambience is rustic, almost like in a pub, definitely like back in the "good old days".

Favorite Dish: Service was very good and quick. I chose the Silesian specialty that you get in many restaurants in Görlitz but nowhere else in Germany: Schlesisches Himmelreich. This is pork and smoked meat cooked in a (slightly sweet) gravy with dried fruit (plums e.g.) with potato dumplings and salad. Absolutely delicious and it goes well with a yummy dark beer - here the "Pupenschulze" from the local Landskron brewery.

• Beer Tasting

Taverna Italiana

appetizer

Any German town has Italian restaurants, Görlitz is no exception. It's been a while until I found one in central location, though. Only recently the first one opened - the Taverna Italian, attached to a B&B in the same house and with an ice-cream parlor in the front of the townhouse toward Brüderstrasse.

Seriously, it's not a fancy restaurant. As "taverna" indicates, it is a neighbourhood hangout with decent food. I had lunch there - pizza quattro stagioni, table water and a glass of wine. It was good, especially the selection of bread that was served first. The bill was less than 15 Euro incl. tip.

Restaurant Brüders

interior

This is my latest discovery of restaurants in Görlitz. We happened to stumple upon this one before a theatre performance. It looked a bit upscale, exactly right for this occasion, so we went in. Luckily we were there right after they opened for dinner time as we got the last not reserved table.

The restaurant is located in one of the typical Renaissance townhouses. Dark beams on the ceiling, partially vaulted ceiling. Otherwise quite rustic furniture, bare walls. Still cosy. Service was VERY good.

Favorite Dish: I had an olive soup first - yummy. Main course was steak (good), accompanied by a delicious red wine. We didn't have time for dessert (to my chagrin).

Ratscafé Kretschmer

by german_eagle Updated Sep 26, 2010

Inside the caf��

This café enjoys an excellent location, right on the Untermarkt square, the heart of the old town. The building has been the Pharmacy for centuries, an important and very beautiful Renaissance townhouse (built 1550 - 52). You can sit either inside, under vaulted ceilings (on two floors), or outside in front of the café watching the folks on the market square. Very cosy ambience. For those who read German, newspapers are available.

Favorite Dish: Enjoyed a piece of cake and an excellent tea.

UPDATE: Been there some more times ... and it's still the best place for people watching in town plus the cakes and tea/coffee are still very good. And if you feel inclined to, you can have a local beer also.

• Architecture

Patrizierhaus St. Jonathan

by german_eagle Updated Sep 26, 2010

inside the restaurant

The restaurant is located in the old town, a perfect place for a break during sightseeing. The Patrician house itself is a sight! You're sitting in a grand hall with vaults from the 15th century (frescos). Don't miss to wander around in the house, see the beautiful staircase hall and some other dining rooms on the 2nd floor as well - beautiful!

The atmosphere is very relaxed, the ambience rustic. The waitress (a student) was a bit confused and brought us an incorrect bill, but everything else was perfect.

Favorite Dish: We had pork Schnitzel with roasted potatoes and green salad with Italian dressing - a huge portion, delicious and CHEAP - only 3.90 Euro! Other dishes were 7 - 9 Euro.

UPDATE: I've been to this place a couple more times. The Schnitzel is now 5.90 Euro, other (main) dishes are 9 Euro and up. On my most recent visit (dinner) I had Rib-Eye steak with baked potato and sour cream, accompanied by a green salad (16.90 Euro) - perfect. The glass of red wine (0.2 l) was an excellent tempranillo from Spain (6.50 Euro). Service was very good.

• Architecture

• yumyum's Profile Photo

Restaurant Schwibbogen

by yumyum Updated Apr 22, 2008

outside view

The Restaurant Schwibbogen is a comfortable place which serves local Lausitz and Silesian specialities. It's open every day except Tuesday from 11.30 am.

Favorite Dish: I opted for a "Schlesische Bratwurst" with Sauerkraut and mashed potato. It was excellent but I was very surprised that the Bratwurst wasn't actually a sausage but a cut piece of home made "Braten".

• angel_del_fondo's Profile Photo

Kränzelcafé: Never skip it

by angel_del_fondo Updated Nov 3, 2006

The Kränzelcafé is a tiny little coffee lounge at the famous restaurant and bar street "Neißestraße" in Görlitz. The café is in the vault of a little house and that's why the atmosphere is very relaxed and invites everyone to chill out a bit.
    In the summer you can sit in the little backyard.
    They offer very good and different types of coffees as well as other drinks and little snacks.
    The prices are average.

Favorite Dish: My recommendation is the Caramel Latte Macchiato. Very delicious.

• Study Abroad

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Eis-Boutique La Gondola: quick stop for a coffee and a bite

by richiecdisc Written Jul 22, 2006

giraffede and MonkeyMoments finally meet!

This was a little coffee/ice cream place just off the Marienplatz. We drove by it and Sandy and Dave were famished so we decided to stop and get them something to eat. It was a very typical of this type of ice cream café and certainly served its purpose. As it turned out, everyone was kind of hungry and had something to eat!

Favorite Dish: I had a savory crepe filled with mushrooms, cheese and onions. Doreen had an apple sauce crepe. The coffee was just okay. Not sure about the prices as Dave sneakily paid the bill on his way back from the restroom! Danke

Instant Answers: Görlitz

Comments

Görlitz Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Görlitz restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Görlitz sightseeing.