Görlitz Things to Do

  • remains from GDR
    remains from GDR
    by blackbirdxx
  • plate from 1527
    plate from 1527 " the red gateway of the...
    by blackbirdxx
  • that's how Goerlitz looks like from Poland
    that's how Goerlitz looks like from...
    by blackbirdxx

Most Recent Things to Do in Görlitz

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Reichenbacher Turm

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Dec 14, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Reichenbacher Tower dominates the western end of the Obermarkt.
    The Tower formed the western city wall and dates from the 13th century. Although the cylindrical portion was added in 1485 and is topped with a Baroque cupola from 1782.
    The Tower housed city guards and watchmen, who kept a lookout for fires, until the last “tower family” moved out in 1904.
    Along with the tower of the City Hall and the church towers of St Peter’s Church and the Church of the Holy Trinity they form the typical skyline of Görlitz.

    You can watch my 4 min 10 sec HD Video Görlitz Turm Sachsen out of my Youtube channel.

    Reichenbacher Turm
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Kaisertrutz Bastion

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Dec 14, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Kaisertrutz BastionTo is situated to the north of the Dicker Turm in Demianiplatz. It is a massive round tower (1490), now housing a section of the Municipal Museum on the history of the town.
    In 1490 Goerlitz strengthened its city fortifications by building a circular bastion outside Reichenbacher Tower. The structure came to be known as the Emperor’s Keep (Kaisertrutz).
    The Swedish made their last stand against the Imperial Saxon Army during the Thirty Years’ War. Since then the Emperor’s Keep has been used as an archive. Now it is under renovation.

    Kaisertrutz Bastion
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Dicker Turm

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Dec 14, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Fat Tower (Dicker Turm) is the second-oldest tower in the city’s defensive network.
    The Tower itself is Gothic (from 1270). It’s topped by a copper Renaissance cupola.
    The Tower was attached to the so-called Women’s Gate (Frauen Tor) in 1477.
    The Annenkapelle (St Anne's Chapel; 1508-12) with a series of Late Gothic statues is located nearby.

    Dicker Turm
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Reichenbacher Turm Museum

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Dec 14, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The handsome Reichenbacher Turm houses the arms of the Lusatian League of Six Cities, of which Görlitz was a member. In this tower is another section of the Museum.
    You will see an impressive collection of armaments, early 20th century photographs.
    The view from the top is worth the 165 steps.

    Entrance fee 1,5 euro.
    May-Oct: Tue-Sun 10.00-17.00.
    Closed Mon and Nov-April.
    Platz des 17 Juni,
    Tel 03581|671-355.

    Reichenbacher Turm Museum
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Museum Visits

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Dreifaltigkeitskirche

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Dec 14, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    On the south side of the Obermarkt stands the Holy Trinity Church with one of the most precious church interiors in Görlitz.
    In 1245 Franciscan monks consecrated the Church. Although originally a Romanesque structure renovations in 1380 gave the church its current late-Gothic appearance.
    When the Reformation took hold in Silesia in 1563, the monks were forced to surrender the keys to the church.
    The church’s Tower is unusually thin (the locals call it “Monk”). Notable among its Late Gothic furnishings are the monks' stalls (1484), an "Entombment" (1492), a figure of Christ resting (c. 1500), an altar with the "Golden Virgin" (c. 1511).
    Entrance is free: daily 9.00-18.00.

    Dreifaltigkeitskirche
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Obermarkt

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Dec 13, 2010

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Upper Market Square (Obermarkt) lies to the east of the two towers in Görlitz. It dates from the 13th century and is lined with mainly Baroque houses.
    On the north side of the square (No. 29) there is a Baroque house of 1718 with a riot of sculptural decoration on its colossal pilasters.

    Obermarkt
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Schönhof

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Dec 13, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    On the right-hand side of Brüderstrasse (No. 8), projecting slightly into the street, is the Schönhof, with a corner oriel richly articulated by pilasters, which is believed to be the oldest burgher's house in Germany (by W. Roskopf the Elder, 1526). Today it houses the Silesian Museum.

    Sch��nhof
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Bruderstraße

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Dec 13, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    This wonderful street connects the two main square of Görlitz: Obermarkt and Untermarkt. It houses one of the finest collections of Renaissance and Baroque houses in Europe.
    The orange-and-grey house at the end of Bruderstraße (#8) claims to be Germany oldest Renaissance civic building (from 1526) and now houses the Silesian Museum of Goerlitz.

    Bruderstra��e
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Altstadtbrücke

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Dec 13, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Bridge Altstadtbrücke is the footbridge connecting the two parts of the Euro city of Görlitz/Zgorzelec.
    As soon as Poland signed the Schengen Agreement in December of 2007, movement between the two sides of the river has once again become unrestricted, since border controls were eliminated.
    Indeed, when you are walking along the bridge you are leaving one country and entering another!
    In 2002 Lake Berzdorf located south of Görlitz began to flood. The Altstadtbrücke (literally old town bridge) between Görlitz and Zgorzelec was rebuilt in 2003-04.

    Altstadtbr��cke
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Barockhaus Neißstraße 30

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Dec 13, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The branches of the museum in the Baroque House in Neißstraße 30, in Kaisertrutz Bastion and in Reichenbacher Turm are among the most important cultural venues in Saxony. Their exhibits introduce visitors to the cultural history of Görlitz and Upper Lusatia.
    The Baroque House and the Kaisertrutz were unfortunately closed in 2009 when we were in Görlitz due to renovations for the 3rd Saxon State Exhibition 2011.

    Barockhaus Nei��stra��e 30
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Rathaustreppe

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Dec 12, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The major highlights of the city tour include Rathaustreppe (the Town Hall Steps) which date back to the 16th Century (Justice Column, 1591; coat of arms, 1488, of King Matthias Corvinus, who for a time held Lusatia).
    The Town Hall stairs at its southern end represent the height of Goerlitz Renaissance sculpture and considered an early Renaissance masterpiece. It leads from the street level to the building’s then main entrance.
    Local officials used the balcony to make public announcements and decrees.
    The statue of Justice is not blindfolded.

    Rathaustreppe
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Löwe und Uhren am Rathausturm

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Dec 12, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Tower houses two clocks. The Upper clock measures day, month, and phase of the moon. The Lower clock tells the time. The warrior’s head used to stick out his tongue every hour. But now just seems to open his mouth.
    The date inscribed on the clock, 1584, commemorates the year when Bartholoaus Sculters, an astronomer and mathematician who was the first who divided the clock into 12 points. Sculteus also helped develop the Gregorian calendar.
    The city honored Sculteus, a Goerlitz native, by being the first city in Germany to adopt both the new calendar and the clock.

    Clocks
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Rathausturm

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Dec 12, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Untermarkt is dominated by the tall Gothic Tower of the Old Town Hall. The Tower was extended to 60 meters in 1368. It was renovated in 1511-1516 by architect Aufbau.
    A lightning strike blew the top of the Tower in 1742, prompting the addition of the current Baroque turret.

    Rathausturm
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Altes Rathaus

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Dec 12, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Altes Rathaus (Old Town Hall) is at the south end of Untermarkt (before 1378).
    It is famous with its Tower, staircase and two historic old clocks.
    Goerlitz had no Town Hall until 1350, when the city purchased this building from a prominent citizen.

    Altes Rathaus
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

    Ratsapotheke and Flüsterbogen

    by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Dec 12, 2010

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The old Ratsapotheke (Municipal Pharmacy, 1550) with a double sundial is located on the north side of Untermarkt.
    Also on the north side is a house at No. 22 with a Late Gothic doorway known as the "Whispering Arch" (Flüsterbogen) and a Renaissance house of 1536 at No. 23. Words whispered in one side of the arch will be clearly audible to the listener on the other side.

    Ratsapotheke
    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Görlitz

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

36 travelers online now

Comments

Görlitz Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Görlitz things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Görlitz sightseeing.

View all Görlitz hotels