Around 1200 the Laurentius chapel was located at this spot. That building building was destroyed 1n 1429 and rebuilt a year later.
Around 1600 the church was enlarged, but burned down in 1637 and rebuilt in 1650 in a Barock style. Remains of the chapel still were present in the basement of the tower.
Im 1869 the church was reconstructed in a neo-ghotic style.
Since 1904 the name of the church officially is Emmaus Church.