Leisure Activity, Leipzig

Know about this? Rate It!

Leipzig's varied architecture
    by richiecdisc
  • Leisure Activity
    by Leipzig
  • richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Enjoy the city but don't forget the Gose...

by richiecdisc Updated Nov 16, 2003

Leipzig's varied architecture

Favorite thing: Leipzig's city center is quite compact and a joy to walk around. There is a nice conglomeration of building styles and a cafe is never far away. I found it one of Germany's most user friendly and modern cities.

Fondest memory: A Gose lay before me. I had only read about it for a couple months but my anticipation had not been this great since my first trip to Belgium to sample my gueze and lambics. I am a lover of things sour and this was to be Germany's answer to such things in beer to make the lips pucker. It looked much like a typical Bavarian Weissebier with a frothy white head and an unfiltered honey-hued body, but the aroma was spicier and made my mouth water. It was a hot spring afternoon in Leipzig and we had grown tired of playing hide and seek with the clouds. It seemed cloudy every time I pulled my camera out and tried to do the touristy things, but the sun blared the minute I stepped into a pub. But all pretenses were finally laid aside; it was time to drink Gose. It was after all, the reason I had come. With the glass raised to my lips, the thirst-quenching liquid rushed into my waiting mouth and filled it with the most delightful combination of flavors. It was a beer for sure. Some specialty beers, especially those in the sour range, can nearly escape being classified as such. This was certainly sour enough, with lots of spiciness to its character for good measure, but the end result was definitely a taste of beer. It was at once one of the most refreshing beers I have ever had, but in the same moment begged me to drink more. I put the glass down and enjoyed the sun glistening through the lemony nectar and smiled. It's not often that beers live up to my expectations and this one surely did. It was in fact, worth it in itself to come to Leipzig. I was already thinking I would return again. And I was already ordering my next Gose, just in case I didn't.

• Beer Tasting