Meißen Favorites

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

and eat it too...

by richiecdisc Updated Nov 16, 2003

the elusive German Porter

Fondest memory: We went up to the hilltop cathedral and a place right across from it had a sign outside saying they had beer goulash with a beer for five dollars. Even though it was the most touristy part of town, we decided to investigate it. It was certainly cozy enough and busy with locals having their lunches. We ordered our food and I noticed quite a few beers in their menu from the local brewery. An unexceptional Pils came with the meal but I tried an excellent dunkles and a quite interesting amber beer too. The goulash was great and a perfect compliment to the brews. But the real surprise was a "German Porter." It was actually written in English as befit the style of beer. Again, this was a surprisingly good and authentic interpretation of the style and a great topper to a fantastic lunch. There was a table of people enjoying quite a few types of local Meissen wines and I noted that they had a quite good range of wines on offer too. We left after a relaxing two-hour meal feeling lucky that the fancy wine restaurant had been closed. We had found a great place on our own and even though looking for wine, I found some excellent and different beers. On the way out of town, we stopped at a specialty wine shop and bought two bottles of Meissen's specialty white wine to bring home. We had had our cake, but we were going to eat it too.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

the cake

by richiecdisc Updated Nov 16, 2003

Meissen from above

Favorite thing: The streets of Meissen are a joy to walk around as they are devoid of traffic. The best part is walking up to the Albrechtsburg area, high up on the hill and enjoying a view of the city below.

Fondest memory: My first trip to Meissen found me in cloud-nine state that one can only be during the first few days of falling in love. It was a gorgeous winter's day, the sky was blue but the charming city held my interest only as a fleeting backdrop to my more obvious interest. The wine restaurant we had come to have lunch in was closed for holiday but we found a great little place with Saxon potato soup and a nice dunkles beer. I left feeling I was lucky to find this gem of a German town and the lovely lady that showed it to me. As chance would have it, a return visit to the area for Christmas also meant a possible one to Meissen as well. Of course, we would have to wait for a perfect day. I wanted to get some more photos of the place and after you've seen a location in near perfect conditions, anything else can be anticlimactic. So, we ventured over there one fine morning but with the roads in the area still in a shambles due to recent flooding, we didn't arrive till well after midday. It was still beautiful out so we wandered around but my desire to take photos waned. That along with the cold drove us to find warmth inside. Our wine restaurant was closed again even though this visit was a bit later than the one the year before. (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

• Maria16's Profile Photo

Porcelain Museum

by Maria16 Updated Apr 25, 2003

Favorite thing: A few years ago I went here with my class. First we visited the Porcelain Museum. Meissen is famous for its porcelain. Inside the museum is a workshop to see some exhibitions. More information about at the homepage of the manufacture: http://www.meissen.de/engl/porzellan.html

• Leipzig's Profile Photo

Flooding of 2002

by Leipzig Updated Jul 30, 2007

Favorite thing: To compare: I am about 1.80 m (5'10'') and the red line marks the peak of the Elbe in August 2002. Note: the Elbe is about 500m (1600 ft) away and 3m (10ft) below the street's altitude.

• Leipzig's Profile Photo

Flooding of 2002

by Leipzig Updated Jul 30, 2007

Favorite thing: In August 2002 the worst flood in Saxony's history hit two third of the state, even Meissen. Everywhere in town you see such marks showing the highest peak of the Elbe.

Instant Answers: Meißen

Comments

Meißen Favorites

Reviews and photos of Meißen favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Meißen sightseeing.